Shocking

LeazesMag

People who disfigure others in Britain are considered criminals in the eyes of the law; under Taliban rule it is perfectly legitimate to beat a woman to the point of disfiguration or perhaps death for any number of misdemeanours, including her having been raped. Ignoring the rest of the barbarous and oppressive ideology that the Taliban impose on its sufferers, the rampant and murderous misogyny inherent in their way of life is evidence enough that they are wholly evil, and I don't use that word lightly.

I have to ask, do you have a problem with the Taliban being referred to as 'backwards people'? Is this culturally insensitive?

Not only under Taliban rule...under Karzai rule too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/3...afghanistan-law

Which only serves to prove the point our presence in Afghanistan has done nothing to stop this sort of thing happening. Of course this is abhorrent, but our presence isn't doing anything about it and was never intended to.

"You've only descended to this stomach turning tactic because all other justifications you've offered have been comprehensively disproved.....and now we'll disprove this one."

I can't say I've seen all justifications for intervention in Afghanistan comprehensively disproved, far from it: even Mr. Juan Cole recognized the necessity of it: this was an instance when the merits of intervening clearly outweighed the prospect of inaction.

Not sure how many times I have to agree a case could be made for going in 9 years ago. But you've also agreed it's all turned to shit over there.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Not only under Taliban rule...under Karzai rule too.

Which only serves to prove the point our presence in Afghanistan has done nothing to stop this sort of thing happening. Of course this is abhorrent, but our presence isn't doing anything about it and was never intended to."

The Shia Family Law will only apply - if it is ever enforced - to the Shia community, a sizeable portion (around 20%) of the population. There was a public protest against this law comprising a group of women. Their bravery was admirable, though this would have been tantamount to suicide in the years before the NATO mission. The law cannot yet be enforced as it is still being amended, and given the pressure the international community will put on Karzai it is likely that several of the proposed measures will be repealed (some already have been: child marriage for instance).

I find it surprising that you claim to believe our presence in Afghanistan has done nothing to improve the plight of women from the days of Taliban rule. It is factually incorrect, and belies an apparant willingness to distort or discount information to support your views. Ie, the fact that the majority of women are now free to vote, work; free to go without burkas, and several women occupy positions in the government. The fact that the Afghan constitution states that men and women are equal in the eyes of the law. The fact that a woman in a position in the parliament of Afghanistan was able to speak to the international media and compare this proposed law to the Taliban 'only serves to prove the point' (as you put it) that the plight of women has improved considerably from the 96-01 period.

What you have done is cite a Guardian article with an outlandish quote attached ( 'worse than the Taliban') about a proposed law that has not yet been enforced, and cited this as proof that women are as oppressed now as they were under Taliban rule. To call it tenuous would be charitable.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

KABUL - Ignoring an international outcry, Afghanistan's puritanical Taliban Islamic militia began demolishing statues across the country on Thursday, including two towering ancient stone Buddhas.

Taliban Minister of Information and Culture Qudratullah Jamal told AFP the destruction of scores of pre-Islamic figures, designed to stop the worshipping of "false idols," had begun throughout the country.

Undated photo of the world's tallest statue of Bhudda measuring 53 meters (175 feet) in Bamiyan, 125 kilometers (90 miles) west of Kabul in Afghanistan. Supreme Commander of the Taliban Mullah Mohammad Omar had ordered the destruction of all statues in Afghanistan, including the centuries-old Buddha in Bamiyan, and armed Taliban troops fanned out across the country Thursday to implement the supreme leader's order. (AP Photo)

He said militiamen started wrecking the almost 2,000-year-old Buddhist masterpieces in the central province of Bamiyan, including the world's tallest standing Buddha measuring 50 meters (165 feet), after sunrise.

"The work started about five hours ago but I do not know how much of it (the two Bamiyan Buddhas) has been destroyed," Jamal said. "It will be destroyed by every means. All the statues are being destroyed."

He said Taliban soldiers were at "work" in the Kabul museum and elsewhere in the provinces of Ghazni, Herat, Jalalabad and Kandahar.

An edict announced Monday by the militia's supreme leader, Mulla Mohammad Omar, calling for the destruction of all statues in line with "Islamic" laws, has caused shock around the world.

Afghanistan is home to an array of pre-Islamic historic treasures from its days as a key stop on the ancient Silk Road and a strategic battleground for conquerers dating back to Alexander the Great and the Aryans before him.

The two massive Bamiyan Buddhas, carved into a sandstone cliff near the provincial capital in central Afghanistan, stand 50 meters (165 feet) and 34.5 meters (114 feet) tall and were built around the second century.

Appeals for their preservation have come from the United States, France, Germany, Thailand, Japan, Sri Lanka, Iran, Pakistan, Germany, Russia, India and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

Koichiro Matsuura, chief of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), said he had convened an emergency meeting of members of the Organization of the Islamic Conference to try to stop the destruction.

"They are destroying statues that the entire world considers to be masterpieces," Matsuura said.

"And this is being done in the name of an interpretation of the Muslim faith that is not recognized anywhere else in the world."

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0301-04.htm

the bit in bold is the important bit, the taliban are NOT mainstream muslim faith. That is the point I've made in other threads, yet LM and others (and the media for that matter) try and paint all of Islam with the same brush.

LM i really don't care if you're a racist cunt, I don't know you and I'm glad I never will, but when you post things on this board that are offensive I'll call you on it because we live in a civil society with certain fundamental rights for everyone regardless of gender, RELIGION, sexual orientation, COLOUR OF SKIN.

See sonny, I think that you have little regard or understanding of our troops in the front line, being shot at, killed etc, and the anger felt by families in this country towards scumbags who are allowed to heckle them on the streets of the UK harping on about their homeland [home is where you are isn't it ? nowt to stop them going back to their homeland and educating their own people instead of leaving it to us and pledging to kill us for doing it], and peddle the absurd theory that they should actually be shot at before they are allowed to fire back, to be offensive. In fact, highly offensive.

I also find it the idea of building a mosque near the site of the twin towers to be offensive, in fact highly offensive.

I also find being told that I should be understanding of these cunts to be offensive.

I also find being lectured by a tosspot like you, who doesn't even live in the UK, offensive.

I also find PC correct lunatics telling me what I can and can't say, and accusing me of being a racist for objecting to being told what I can and can't say, offensive.

I will also find, the day I am waved into this country from a holiday or work abroad, by a customs official wearing a burkha, to be offensive. Highly offensive.

Now bugger off back to being a yank wannabee again. I find you offensive.

Edited by LeazesMag

I'm issuing a fatwa on this topic. All loyal Muslims are called upon to kill anyone who posts after me.

:angry:

Nowt against you mate, I realise you are putting across your case with patience and are probably a good bloke

I'm issuing a fatwa on this topic. All loyal Muslims are called upon to kill anyone who posts after me.

Nowt against you mate, I realise you are putting across your case with patience and are probably a good bloke

I'm just saying, if I were you I wouldn't go near Bradford or Birmingham anytime soon.

He's incredibly annoying, anytime he interviews someone, he gives them zero time to reply and brow beats them until the time runs out, then references the "interview in subsequent episodes, stating his interviewee had no answers...

the scariest thing is that people believe eveything that comes out of his (and Glenn Beck's) mouth

KABUL - Ignoring an international outcry, Afghanistan's puritanical Taliban Islamic militia began demolishing statues across the country on Thursday, including two towering ancient stone Buddhas.

Taliban Minister of Information and Culture Qudratullah Jamal told AFP the destruction of scores of pre-Islamic figures, designed to stop the worshipping of "false idols," had begun throughout the country.

Undated photo of the world's tallest statue of Bhudda measuring 53 meters (175 feet) in Bamiyan, 125 kilometers (90 miles) west of Kabul in Afghanistan. Supreme Commander of the Taliban Mullah Mohammad Omar had ordered the destruction of all statues in Afghanistan, including the centuries-old Buddha in Bamiyan, and armed Taliban troops fanned out across the country Thursday to implement the supreme leader's order. (AP Photo)

He said militiamen started wrecking the almost 2,000-year-old Buddhist masterpieces in the central province of Bamiyan, including the world's tallest standing Buddha measuring 50 meters (165 feet), after sunrise.

"The work started about five hours ago but I do not know how much of it (the two Bamiyan Buddhas) has been destroyed," Jamal said. "It will be destroyed by every means. All the statues are being destroyed."

He said Taliban soldiers were at "work" in the Kabul museum and elsewhere in the provinces of Ghazni, Herat, Jalalabad and Kandahar.

An edict announced Monday by the militia's supreme leader, Mulla Mohammad Omar, calling for the destruction of all statues in line with "Islamic" laws, has caused shock around the world.

Afghanistan is home to an array of pre-Islamic historic treasures from its days as a key stop on the ancient Silk Road and a strategic battleground for conquerers dating back to Alexander the Great and the Aryans before him.

The two massive Bamiyan Buddhas, carved into a sandstone cliff near the provincial capital in central Afghanistan, stand 50 meters (165 feet) and 34.5 meters (114 feet) tall and were built around the second century.

Appeals for their preservation have come from the United States, France, Germany, Thailand, Japan, Sri Lanka, Iran, Pakistan, Germany, Russia, India and UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

Koichiro Matsuura, chief of the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), said he had convened an emergency meeting of members of the Organization of the Islamic Conference to try to stop the destruction.

"They are destroying statues that the entire world considers to be masterpieces," Matsuura said.

"And this is being done in the name of an interpretation of the Muslim faith that is not recognized anywhere else in the world."

the bit in bold is the important bit, the taliban are NOT mainstream muslim faith. That is the point I've made in other threads, yet LM and others (and the media for that matter) try and paint all of Islam with the same brush.

LM i really don't care if you're a racist cunt, I don't know you and I'm glad I never will, but when you post things on this board that are offensive I'll call you on it because we live in a civil society with certain fundamental rights for everyone regardless of gender, RELIGION, sexual orientation, COLOUR OF SKIN.

See sonny, I think that you have little regard or understanding of our troops in the front line, being shot at, killed etc, and the anger felt by families in this country towards scumbags who are allowed to heckle them on the streets of the UK harping on about their homeland [home is where you are isn't it ? nowt to stop them going back to their homeland and educating their own people instead of leaving it to us and pledging to kill us for doing it], and peddle the absurd theory that they should actually be shot at before they are allowed to fire back, to be offensive. In fact, highly offensive.

I also find it the idea of building a mosque near the site of the twin towers to be offensive, in fact highly offensive.

I also find being told that I should be understanding of these cunts to be offensive.

I also find being lectured by a tosspot like you, who doesn't even live in the UK, offensive.

I also find PC correct lunatics telling me what I can and can't say, and accusing me of being a racist for objecting to being told what I can and can't say, offensive.

I will also find, the day I am waved into this country from a holiday or work abroad, by a customs official wearing a burkha, to be offensive. Highly offensive.

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH.....your lips are moving but you aren't saying anything...... :angry:

WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH.....your lips are moving but you aren't saying anything...... :lol:

:lol:

I'm just saying, if I were you I wouldn't go near Bradford or Birmingham anytime soon.

are you confirming that parts of the UK are now off limits to UK citizens, courtesy of peaceful and tolerant muslims who believe in freedom of speech ala UK laws and democracy ?

How has that came about ? Where next ?

Definitions of tedious :

•boring: so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness;

•boring, monotonous, time consuming

•tediousness - The quality of being tedious; wearisomeness; prolixity; tiresomeness; slowness; tedium

Definitions of tedious :

•boring: so lacking in interest as to cause mental weariness;

•boring, monotonous, time consuming

•tediousness - The quality of being tedious; wearisomeness; prolixity; tiresomeness; slowness; tedium

no constructive to my response to acrossthepond

In that case, if you have nowt to add, why not stay out of it ?

If he didn't mean what I asked, I'm sure he is capable of clarifying it without your ... help

are you confirming that parts of the UK are now off limits to UK citizens, courtesy of peaceful and tolerant muslims who believe in freedom of speech ala UK laws and democracy ?

I'm saying that I was definitely having a joke with you as I thought you knew.

I think. :D

"Not only under Taliban rule...under Karzai rule too.

Which only serves to prove the point our presence in Afghanistan has done nothing to stop this sort of thing happening. Of course this is abhorrent, but our presence isn't doing anything about it and was never intended to."

The Shia Family Law will only apply - if it is ever enforced - to the Shia community, a sizeable portion (around 20%) of the population. There was a public protest against this law comprising a group of women. Their bravery was admirable, though this would have been tantamount to suicide in the years before the NATO mission. The law cannot yet be enforced as it is still being amended, and given the pressure the international community will put on Karzai it is likely that several of the proposed measures will be repealed (some already have been: child marriage for instance).

I find it surprising that you claim to believe our presence in Afghanistan has done nothing to improve the plight of women from the days of Taliban rule. It is factually incorrect, and belies an apparant willingness to distort or discount information to support your views. Ie, the fact that the majority of women are now free to vote, work; free to go without burkas, and several women occupy positions in the government. The fact that the Afghan constitution states that men and women are equal in the eyes of the law. The fact that a woman in a position in the parliament of Afghanistan was able to speak to the international media and compare this proposed law to the Taliban 'only serves to prove the point' (as you put it) that the plight of women has improved considerably from the 96-01 period.

Point taken, talking in absolute's is something I need to stop. Replace "nothing" with "little".

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010...anistan_s_women

What you have done is cite a Guardian article with an outlandish quote attached ( 'worse than the Taliban') about a proposed law that has not yet been enforced, and cited this as proof that women are as oppressed now as they were under Taliban rule. To call it tenuous would be charitable.

And Leazes' Time article says this woman's plight proves our presence in Afghanistan is required to ensure it won't happen....although 9 years down the line it has, and does, and will.

I'm saying that I was definitely having a joke with you as I thought you knew.

I think. :D

so was I. To a degree. However it seems our resident yank wannabee liberal do gooder got a trembly lip over it.

resident yank wannabee liberal do gooder

:lol: What a tit.

you're being pretty liberal yourself these days too aren't you Gem ? Quitened down ever since your days of insisting we should back Souness to the hilt .......

you're being pretty liberal yourself these days too aren't you Gem ? Quitened down ever since your days of insisting we should back Souness to the hilt .......

That must have been a mad moment for Gemmill. Like boasting about losing your virginity to a group of people who think you're a twat.........

Relevance? You silly old fool.