Joey Barton

Anorthernsoul

I've got to put my hand up and say that I've wanted the club to get rid of Joey Barton on several occassions before this season, but I'm very thankful that they haven't. A run of good games and a seemingly genuine change in his on and off-field demeanour have done wonders in helping me forget the shite that he's put us through in the past.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've said get rid of him in the past too. Happy to admit I was wrong as he seems a changed man and he's producing the goods now at long last. I hesitate to say it, but it's like having a new signing, long may it continue.

JOEY BARTON has urged his Newcastle United team-mates to continue “reaching for the stars” after flooring Arsenal in their own backyard.

The Scouser impressed yet again – this time in front of England boss Fabio Capello – as he orchestrated a 1-0 win for the Magpies in the capital and, while Barton did not make rash predictions of where fifth-placed Newcastle can finish, he feels that his side should fear NOBODY in the Premier League after seeing off a side with Champions League aspirations.

There was no hiding place for an Arsenal team that started with £40million-rated Cesc Fabregas, French ace Samir Nasri and England young guns Theo Walcott and Jack Wilshere, before Arsene Wenger threw on £15m sub Andrei Arshavin and World Cup star Robin Van Persie – with none of them finding an answer to Newcastle’s dominance.

Barton told the Chronicle in a candid interview today: “We’ve got to start believing in ourselves now.

“We are a very good side. Nobody else believes in us – but everybody believes in each other inside that dressing room.

“That’s not just in themselves, even though you have to have personal belief, it’s in each other and if somebody is having an off day there are enough lads to get them lifted.”

It was a far cry for Barton this time around at the Emirates.

Two years ago in Kevin Keegan’s ill-fated final game for the club as manager, Barton made his comeback from a stint behind bars in North London and was greeted by boos and a shocking challenge from Samir Nasri.

This time Barton ran the show and expressed no bitterness towards Nasri by walking out for the game with his arm around the French international.

And the Scouser even showed a real sporting touch when he consoled Laurent Koscielny, who was sent off late in the game.

Barton added: “We’ve got fantastic team spirit.

“It’s a privilege to play for this team.

“It’s the first time in my career I can say that – and I do mean it.

“A lot of the times before, I’ve been playing for myself or people have had different agendas.

“But it shows how together we are out there. A lot of people sacrifice themselves and run themselves into the ground.

“It’s an honour and privilege to play in the team.” :icon_lol:

Barton – who many say is serving up Beckham-esque performances at the moment – set up Andy Carroll’s winner with a wonderful clipped cross that coaxed Lukasz Fabianski off his line.

The midfielder explained his pre-game ploy after a few narrow misses with centres in the early part of the game: “It can be frustrating for me sometimes because you are trying to put a ball in and trying to get the keeper to come out to try to claim.

“You try to put it where he isn’t going to win it.

“We got one right for Andy and it ended up in the back of the net.

“It’s something we’ve worked on with Chris.

“We tried to isolate the keeper, because both of Arsenal’s keepers have a habit of not being great at coming for crosses.

“They try to over-emphasis and come out for everything.

“It was frustrating early doors because the window of opportunity is about two foot.

“If it’s too high, it goes out of play.

“Thankfully, we got one right and the big man does what he does best and put it away.”

Barton also reflected on how comfortable United had looked at the Emirates.

He said: “It’s usually hard, and I’ve played at the old Highbury ground numerous times.

“But barring the first 10 minutes of the second half when we didn’t really come out the traps, we’ve had to weather a storm, but not a major one.

“After that we cruised really.

“Every player to a man knocked the ball about when we got it.

“You know when you’re under pressure and we had to play percentage football at time.

“But we still had chances and could have nicked another one and it would have been 2-0 and the result would have then been beyond all doubt.

“We kept a clean sheet and there won’t be too many teams that do that this season at the Emirates.”

He really does deserve an England call up.

No place in football for what Joey done tonight. He will get banned from the FA and its fully deserved.

Joey's passing has been almost fantastic like an on form Beckham but what he did is unspeakable on the pitch, crying shame and I feel quite disappointed and let down as I thought we had a new Barton. Crying shame.

Agreed. And the way in which he claimed to Pedersen that the full-on short punch to his chest had in fact been an open-handed slap just made it worse.

He's got a screw loose. End of.

Seemed to come out of nowhere as well, barely brushed shoulders and he snapped.

EDIT: Anyone see the MGP interview? How annoying is his voice?!

Edited by Besty

Wouldn't be surprised if Big Sam set up Pedersen to bring things up to wind him up verbally...

Give over man. Imagine it was a Rovers player who had done the same to one of our players, we'd all be furious. He's had too many chances and if it wasnt for football, im sure he'd be in a similar position to his brother, who's doing life imprisonment for murdering that black student. It all comes down to whats more important, stopping thugs having any place in football OR having a good player in your team and enjoying success; and unfortunately the latter seems to be more important to most of us, including myself. I hope to God that he doesnt ever get an England call up and i really hope we can replace him with a better player sooner rather than later. Im all for reformation but this cunt takes the biscuit.

Edited by harrynufc

Fucking stupid of Barton. To me it looked like an open handed slap to the guts, and you can tell from Pedersoft's reaction that there wasn't a great deal to it. But fucking stupid end of.

Proof that a leopard doesn't change its spots, or that if you keep poking at an alligator eventually it's going to snap, or some combination of those or some other analogy involving animals that have little self-control.

:dunno:

There's no doubt that managers will constantly be telling their players to wind up Barton. That's a given. Joey Barton is the only person that can use that to his own advantage by sticking to the game and outplaying the opposing players. For several games this season he's done a good job of that, unfortunately today that all went out the window (along with my credibility in this thread).

Wouldn't be surprised if Big Sam set up Pedersen to bring things up to wind him up verbally...

Give over man. Imagine it was a Rovers player who had done the same to one of our players, we'd all be furious. He's had too many chances and if it wasnt for football, im sure he'd be in a similar position to his brother, who's doing life imprisonment for murdering that black student. It all comes down to whats more important, stopping thugs having any place in football OR having a good player in your team and enjoying success; and unfortunately the latter seems to be more important to most of us, including myself. I hope to God that he doesnt ever get an England call up and i really hope we can replace him with a better player sooner rather than later. Im all for reformation but this cunt takes the biscuit.

:dunno:

He's given someone a dig in a chest so this old chestnut comes out again?

I've slated the bell-end as much as anyone. He should have been sent off, deserves a ban. But it happens in game after game with other players.

Edited by Happy Face

Barton was stupid, but how much of a dick is Pedersoft. Right from the start where he illegally won the free-kick that eventually lead to their goal by blatantly watching, waiting and then moving into the path of Williamson who was heading towards the ball.

I'll have to see the replay again, wasn't watching on my normal telly so was smaller and further away than I'm used to watching.

"You've seen the pictures and everything, so you know it's football that your (sic) playing."

TBH I wasn't quite sure exactly what it was I was watching.

Edited by OzToonFan

I'm not that atsed tbh. I don't think it's necessarily evidence that he's back to his old self. It was just an incident in a football match. I bet he's regretting it more than anyone today. Lets not go daft about it eh.

he was crap last night like. back to the old barton

Apart ofcourse for the magnificently weighted free kick for the goal :dunno:

can't remember anything else of note he did other than that. same goes for nolan, shola jonas and tiote too. too many of them didn't turn up yesterday.

Think we'd all rather have him than not, just pissed off because we thought hoped he got that side of his game under control.

It's also worth noting he had just helped get us back into the game so even more stupid risking a sending off at that point in the match.

So it would have got a straight red, is that a 3 match ban? Bad enough losing our best player for one never mind 3.

Fucking idiot.

I'm not that atsed tbh. I don't think it's necessarily evidence that he's back to his old self. It was just an incident in a football match. I bet he's regretting it more than anyone today. Lets not go daft about it eh.

This.

Had it been any other player, there wouldn't have been half the fuss.

This.

Well if you've a history of doing, you'll be treated more cautiously in fairness..

Thought Pederson came across quite well though at the end of it all...

This.

Well if you've a history of doing, you'll be treated more cautiously in fairness..

Thought Pederson came across quite well though at the end of it all...

Aye, for a cheating puff.

he was crap last night like. back to the old barton

I thought his set pieces were generally poor but he had a canny game. It's hard when your chasing a match after 2 mins against a 10 man defence so a lot of his first half work was a bit rushed by trying to force things but he was comfortably our best midfielder for me.