Arsenal 0-1 Newcastle United FC

Nobby

Thats a silly comparison to make. West Brom and ourselves are in a similar position having both been promoted. I was just saying that its not impossible to go to the Emirates and get a win, and a team I think we're better than went there and did that.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see us going back to 4-5-1, unfortunately meaning Routledge comes in for probably Strolla. Any confidence that boy got from being part of a rampant team since he joined last year seems to be rapidly disappearing, and with it the tiny amount of ability on the ball. Would be tempted to leave Barton out on the right and bring in poss Guthrie instead if playing 4-5-1 instead, can't afford to have someone that weak on the right of midfield with Clichy getting forward, although Routledge should be able to keep up with him (if he ever bothered to track back of course).

All damage limitation though, feel like its going to be another one of those where we work hard and perform well until they finally break through and then fuck us up. Several gooners in my office as well :icon_lol:

West Brom, I think they really caught them cold, plus Arsenal were playing Eboue who seems a bit of a bad luck charm/weak link for them sometimes (unless he's diving against us the fucking prick). Doubt Wenger would let them be as complacent as they probably were against WBA for a while.

Nasri's comments as well. That being said, I dont see Barton getting sent off, that aggression seems to have disappeared from his game. If he can handle Henry's beating against Wolves, I think he could survive this.

What did Nasri say?

Barton has been pretty impressive this year, not just what he's doing on the pitch but the fact he hasn't gone and twatted anyone yet. I was just waiting for him to lose it against Wolves, so long may it continue.

Nasri's comments as well. That being said, I dont see Barton getting sent off, that aggression seems to have disappeared from his game. If he can handle Henry's beating against Wolves, I think he could survive this.

What did Nasri say?

Barton has been pretty impressive this year, not just what he's doing on the pitch but the fact he hasn't gone and twatted anyone yet. I was just waiting for him to lose it against Wolves, so long may it continue.

Basically in the aftermath of De Jong breaking Ben Arfa's leg, Nasri was commenting on it and said this:

Ben Arfa's France team-mate Samir Nasri, with whom he played at Marseilles, said English referees did not give players enough protection. "What strikes me is the refereeing. The referee saw Hatem exit on a stretcher with an oxygen mask, yet he didn't punish de Jong. It's that which has to change in England," Nasri said.

"Nigel de Jong has pedigree, a bit like [Mark] van Bommel. Referees should know that these players make foul tackles. With the exception of when [Joey] Barton tried to hack me down, players are not 'evil'. There have always been accidents – but are we protected enough in England? I don't think so."

What did Nasri say?

Basically in the aftermath of De Jong breaking Ben Arfa's leg, Nasri was commenting on it and said this:

Ben Arfa's France team-mate Samir Nasri, with whom he played at Marseilles, said English referees did not give players enough protection. "What strikes me is the refereeing. The referee saw Hatem exit on a stretcher with an oxygen mask, yet he didn't punish de Jong. It's that which has to change in England," Nasri said.

"Nigel de Jong has pedigree, a bit like [Mark] van Bommel. Referees should know that these players make foul tackles. With the exception of when [Joey] Barton tried to hack me down, players are not 'evil'. There have always been accidents – but are we protected enough in England? I don't think so."

:icon_lol: Oh well, look forward to seeing the inevitable at the weekend then

What did Nasri say?

This sums up Arsenal and their so-up-their-own-fucking-arse players and more than a few of their fans. The 3-1 Highbury win had them crying like bairns despite us being just as, if not more, hard done by than them by the Ref. No fans or players can whinge like they do and argue the toss about refereeing decisions like these can. Would like nothing better than Hughton to have a go at them and take our chances but fear a NUFC victory would have the phone-ins in meltdown with the boring bastards moaning about thugs/refs/linesmen, whatever.

Thats a silly comparison to make. West Brom and ourselves are in a similar position having both been promoted. I was just saying that its not impossible to go to the Emirates and get a win, and a team I think we're better than went there and did that.

It was tongue in cheek. The law of averages suggest Arsenal wont let a result like that happen again.Fabregas didnt playin that game as well.

Anyway, my point was that 2 weeks ago we would have been discussing whether it would be 3/4/5-0 tbh. Amazing what a win does.

I absolutely agree with you, I'm not expecting a win, but its not unreasonable to hope for one.

As for the 3-1 loss 2 years ago, I remember feeling like we shouldve come away with more. Martins missed a penalty for being a twat and hitting it with his weak foot, and they scored their first as a result of Taylor being off injured and going right through where he would have been.

Anyone else think that Hughton may choose to rest a few with the Blackburn encounter at home 3 days later in mind?

That's what I was thinking. He may pull a bit of a Mick McCarthy.

I'd be happy with a top notch defensive effort that gets us a 0-0. (Like we did at Stamford Bridge a few years back.)

All damage limitation though, feel like its going to be another one of those where we work hard and perform well until they finally break through and then fuck us up.

Probably :icon_lol:

Wish Campbell was fit ...

Edited by dbsweeney

Anyone else think that Hughton may choose to rest a few with the Blackburn encounter at home 3 days later in mind?

I'd be happy with a top notch defensive effort that gets us a 0-0. (Like we did at Stamford Bridge a few years back.)

All damage limitation though, feel like its going to be another one of those where we work hard and perform well until they finally break through and then fuck us up.

I remember reading something about him wanting to be fit for the man utd game at the start of the season. I knew it wouldnt happen. Whats wrong with him now anyway?

I remember reading something about him wanting to be fit for the man utd game at the start of the season. I knew it wouldnt happen. Whats wrong with him now anyway?

He's old :icon_lol:

The only way I see us beating arsenal is to kick them off the pitch. Im against that style of football but its going to shake them up a bit.

We have a big team, there's no reason we couldn't try it. Can't see Hughton opting for that though.

Its a definite strategy that could be used and it is effective against Arsenal but with Barton in the team even with his new level head its very risky and could backfire. Either way Im not feeling to confident and would be happy with a loss as long as the players don't give up.

Would like a win, but it will be a tough game no doubt.

As, the guys keep remarking to me the 5 - 0 loss we had to them in the Cup.

So, as Southern said: Let's hope Hughton wears his suit :icon_lol:

Edited by WordPlay

On a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very good day we can take them.

But I doubt that day is Sunday 7 November 2010!

FYP

Last time we were here was when Ashley dooned that pint at half time in the stand. 3-0 we lost, and it was 3-0 the two times before. I said this yesterday like, if we beat Arsenal today, it will mean as much to me as beating Sunderland last week, because we've not won away to a "big 3" team for 9 years. We should just have a go play the two up front, if we get humped we expected it but at least we'd have had a go. Their defence is shite this year too and they have injuries in midfield.

It's not like the atmosphere will get to us, that stadium is full of Godfrey's, Tarquin's and Rajif's, people who weren't at football 20 years and go to be passively entertained. They do this thing at the start of the game where the tannoy announcer calls out a players first name he'll go Ceeeeeeeeeeesc, then the crowd go FABREGAS, but it sounds like a few hundred zombies that do it, it's like a dull groan of a heavily sedated man getting his piles removed. Every bit as plastic a support as Liverpool imo. Anyway HTT.

Edited by WDP

Last time we were here was when Ashley dooned that pint at half time in the stand. 3-0 we lost, and it was 3-0 the two times before. I said this yesterday like, if we beat Arsenal today, it will mean as much to me as beating Sunderland last week, because we've not won away to a "big 3" team for 9 years. We should just have a go play the two up front, if we get humped we expected it but at least we'd have had a go. Their defence is shite this year too and they have injuries in midfield.

It's not like the atmosphere will get to us, that stadium is full of Godfrey's, Tarquin's and Rajif's, people who weren't at football 20 years and go to be passively entertained. They do this thing at the start of the game where the tannoy announcer calls out a players first name he'll go Ceeeeeeeeeeesc, then the crowd go FABREGAS, but it sounds like a few hundred zombies that do it, it's like a dull groan of a heavily sedated man getting his piles removed. Every bit as plastic a support as Liverpool imo. Anyway HTT.

I think the only injury they have midfield it Diaby.

The atmosphere wil definitely not get to us. Fabregas might though. And the rapper shagger might not play Walcott which will be a huge plus for us and our high line.