How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

That calculator reckons I need 3058 calories per day to stay the same weight. Can that be right? :D

6ft 3, 202 pounds, 35 year old. And it reckons over 3k calories.

Cheers for all that info JawD. Will have a proper read of it. I don't really want to get into protein drinks and that, cos it just feels like they can't be that good for you.

The Whey Protein drinks are absolutely lush. They taste amazing.

I had a consultancy at the hospital today and before going in they check your weight and height.

So this 5ft tall woman tells me to stand on the scales and tries to measure me

so she tells me my weight and I ask what height she got me at and she replies "6ft 2", bloody hell Ive shrunk I replied, I was over 6ft 7 last time I checked, no sir you're definintely 6ft 2.

After a couple of half joking, half serious "listen pet, Im way more than that" she finally relents and says "look I'll convert the metric so you can see."so as you'll see you're just below 201cm and thats......6ft 7.......oooooh so you are"

I hope she doesnt move into aneasthetics

SO Im now officially 6ft 7 and 249lb

fat twat :D

That calculator reckons I need 3058 calories per day to stay the same weight. Can that be right? :D

6ft 3, 202 pounds, 35 year old. And it reckons over 3k calories.

Cheers for all that info JawD. Will have a proper read of it. I don't really want to get into protein drinks and that, cos it just feels like they can't be that good for you.

That sounds quite reasonable for a guy of your height who trains as much as you do. Bodybuilders will consume 6k calories a day if they want to gain weight, and Olympic athletes (depends on the sport obv) can do 10k calories. I think Michael Phelps was on a 10k calorie diet. You don't need protein shakes, just eat more food, things with a higher calorie content like pasta and potatoes.

Cheers for the offer with the training programme thing. To be honest, I'm so far removed from the distances you're doing that it would probably just terrify me at this stage, but i might pester you for it at a future date if that's ok!

Let us know how you get on with the race anyway. Just checked the date of it there, and looks like you've got a month to go. How close to a marathon distance will you get in a single training run?

No problem, just let me know whenever if you want it.

The longest distance is 34 kms, which I'm doing a week Sunday. After that you taper down the distances to build up energy for the race. So I'll only run the full distance on the day!

That's good advice re building up your training. I'd say the important thing is to not to rush things, you don't have to increase distance every week. Doing too much at once is a big mistake, as is wearing the wrong clothes or, worst of all, the wrong trainers.....over longer distances poor kit leads to stupid but painful injuries (like blisters or sore nipples) and wearing the wrong shoes for your running profile will give you leg/back muscle and toe injuries. The other thing is to make sure you hydrate properly and do some decent stretching after running, and to eat something straightaway to put energy back into your muscles.

Most of it is common sense though!

The funny thing is I've found a lot of distance running is in the head. There's some basics like nutrition, stretching and recovery, as well as keeping fuelled and hydrated, but a lot of it is just persevering regardless of weather or how you're feeling or thinking. The satisfaction comes from beating the part of you that just wants to jack it in or sit in a comfy chair when it's pissing down.

I'd absolutely agree with this. I had it in my head that because when I was younger I was always a sprinter rather than doing any sort of distance, that I couldn't physically run anything long and the hardest part was getting over that mental block that would kick in when I've done a few miles. Lost count of the number of times a while ago that I set out to run 7-10 miles and ended up stopping after 3-4 and thinking I couldn't do any more, when in fact I was quite capable. Obviously that's a little different to marathon distances like.

Yeah, agree, which is also why I think mixing your routes up can help as well as it's quite easy to get 'bored' of the same run and therefore feeling knackered when you're actually not. I was also told by a serious runner not to get disheartened if you do what should be a comfortable tun and you have a shitter, sometimes your body just says 'I can't be fucked today' for no reason.

Kitman, re trainers, I went to Start Fitness in the town and got sorted out with a pair. I'm flat footed, and so had assumed I would need trainers with a pronounced arch as that's what I've always been told in the past.

Anyway, the bloke had a proper look and explained that trainers with a big arch would be too abrasive on my instep cos of the complete lack of an arch. So I ended up with these trainers with "dynamic support".

I had intended explaining to the bloke that I get a lot of pain in my big toe, and blisters on the toe next to it, but he beat me to it by explaining that cos of my feet collapsing inwards , the toe-off part of my movement would run through my big toe, putting a lot of pressure on it. Anyway long story long, these trainers have made a massive difference.

Kitman, re trainers, I went to Start Fitness in the town and got sorted out with a pair. I'm flat footed, and so had assumed I would need trainers with a pronounced arch as that's what I've always been told in the past.

Anyway, the bloke had a proper look and explained that trainers with a big arch would be too abrasive on my instep cos of the complete lack of an arch. So I ended up with these trainers with "dynamic support".

I had intended explaining to the bloke that I get a lot of pain in my big toe, and blisters on the toe next to it, but he beat me to it by explaining that cos of my feet collapsing inwards , the toe-off part of my movement would run through my big toe, putting a lot of pressure on it. Anyway long story long, these trainers have made a massive difference.

I got mine from there as well and the kid (and the little fucker must have only been 17) was actually canny knowledgeable and the pair I got are superb.

Cool. You probably know this already Gem, but good trainers only have a limited number of miles in them. So if you do a lot of running it's worth keeping track of overall distance so you know when they're done

Went to Start Fitness today to get some new trainers. I'm almost completely flat footed so wanted to get a decent assessment for running shoes. Anyway they are spot on in that shop. Having said that, when I put the first pair on that he suggested and he goes "Just have a jog round the shop to see if they're ok" I had to tell him to swivel.

Got these in size massive:

51cgQ2AwoWL.jpg

Snap!!! :lol:

I'm actually pissed off as I keep giving my knee time to heal but when I run again it's just a matter of when, not if, it gives way. It usually varies between 1-4 miles before it goes, tonight it 'went' at 2.5 mile. The trainers have done fuck all to be honest.

• 2 months later...

First post pacemaker run tonight. Didn't go out long (15 minutes :lol: ) cos I wasn't sure what it would be like (plus it's freezing and I'm unfit as fuck again). But I didn't die anyway. Gonna gradually build back up to a decent distance.

The bairn got a wii a few weeks back which included a wii fit so thought it would be fun to start using that.

Jesus! For starters it says ouch or something each time you step on it and then Im sure its taken on its own sarky piss taking personality.

Anyway, around 14-7 last week and building up to get fit splurge of epic proportions.

Might as well do Christmas first though :icon_lol:

The gym is nice and quiet this week and I imagine it will be next week too. Going to work out as much as possible before it's heaving in January. I'll be eating like an absolutely massive greedy cow though of course. :D