How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Should shame us all this fella.

_64009748_64009745.jpg

You may have come across the image of 28-year-old former Paralympic ski racer Josh Sundquist on Twitter. It's the ultimate before-and-after shot.

On the left you have a downcast looking man in an ill-lit room, while on the right you have a grinning man with an almost ludicrously chiselled physique.

The photograph has prompted much discussion over its provenance, with Photoshop "experts" suggesting it must be fake.

It's something that frustrates Sundquist.

Diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer when he was nine years old, Sundquist had his left leg amputated a year later. As a child he felt so self-conscious he was afraid to go to a public swimming pool in case other people stared at him.

After he retired from skiing, Sundquist wanted to lose a few pounds and entered the Body for Life challenge, a contest which requires entrants to take before and after photographs. He spent 12 weeks working out before posing for the "after" picture.

"Maybe what is interesting about my Body for Life picture is that in terms of fitness I have come close to the ideal of what people imagine a male physique should look like while at the same time missing one fourth of the limbs that you are supposed to have," says Sundquist.

Although the image was taken in 2006, it has seen a surge of popularity in the last 12 months as blogs re-discover it.

"The comments you get most frequently are people saying, 'wow if this guy can do it with one leg, if he can get in that good a shape then I have no excuses with two legs," says Sundquist. "So I think it's really been a big inspiration to people."

Sundquist has responded to those in the online community who argue that the image must have been Photoshopped.

"Everyone says 'oh it's fake, he doesn't really have one leg, or there's no way someone can make that kind of physical transformation'," says Sundquist, who is now a motivational speaker.

"To be honest I kind of think that some people look at it and they are like, this is so unbelievable, it's too good to be true, and in some ways they don't want to admit that it is a possibility for a person to do that," says Sundquist, "because if it was then they might have a responsibility to get in really good shape themselves."

that's pretty amazing. fuck knows how he managed to do the training required to get ripped like that with just one leg.

he must have been doing one legged squats and lunges to get his thighs pumped up like that. mad

You realise the before and after shots taken for supplement adverts etc. are taken on the same day.

Sweat a bit of water out, blast out a 30 min weights session, rub some lotion and fake tan in. Oldest trick in the book. He's hardly got an ounce of fat on him in the first photo. He's just been on a carb free diet for 12 weeks

You realise the before and after shots taken for supplement adverts etc. are taken on the same day.

Sweat a bit of water out, blast out a 30 min weights session, rub some lotion and fake tan in. Oldest trick in the book. He's hardly got an ounce of fat on him in the first photo. He's just been on a carb free diet for 12 weeks

on closer inspection you might be right; he's in good shape in the first snap too, just not flexing or covered in fake tan.

still got to admire him for getting into that kind of shape in the first place. with only one leg.

This is your problem CT. As soon as you think healthy, you think bland salad and within a week you're bored. You can have perfectly healthy, hearty hot meals that you don't get bored of, AND lose weight whilst enjoying your food.

I'm 15st11. I just tend to go between 15 and 16 and a half, I should just accept it but I'm not going to. Cancer Research is something massively close to my heart, because I will lose someone very dear to me it in the future, could be near future, and I want to do my part, so I'm doing the GNR next year, and am going to try and raise 1k for it. I could do it now, but I'd have to walk half of the 13 miles, so my aim is to get to 14st, because lets face it at that weight I'm a sexy fucka too. Already started my training like.

I'm 15st11. I just tend to go between 15 and 16 and a half, I should just accept it but I'm not going to. Cancer Research is something massively close to my heart, because I will lose someone very dear to me it in the future, could be near future, and I want to do my part, so I'm doing the GNR next year, and am going to try and raise 1k for it. I could do it now, but I'd have to walk half of the 13 miles, so my aim is to get to 14st, because lets face it at that weight I'm a sexy fucka too. Already started my training like.

Good luck with it and obv a great cause.

Good luck with it and obv a great cause.

Thanks mate, I'm sure South Shields will seem like the other side of the world by the time I get to Heworth like but I've bet me mate I can do it under 1:50 which will be a good effort for me first go.

I'm going to start a justgiving as well, so if anyone wants to sponsor me for £2 or £3 that would be lovely. Don't think many people get through life without someone very close to them getting the big C.

I'll bet you a tenner you don't do it in 1hr50 and I'll double it if you do. ;) Just for added incentive.

Very generous of you. Me mate is a copper, he did it in 1:44 at 36 years of age, so a young whipper snapper like me should be able to get 1:50, that's me actual target 1:50. Legs are cramping up just thinking about it.

Anyone who has done it, can you tell me how you get home if all the roads are closed? The metro is miles away isn't it? I'll need a stretcher to the metro anyway.

Very generous of you. Me mate is a copper, he did it in 1:44 at 36 years of age, so a young whipper snapper like me should be able to get 1:50, that's me actual target 1:50. Legs are cramping up just thinking about it.

Anyone who has done it, can you tell me how you get home if all the roads are closed? The metro is miles away isn't it? I'll need a stretcher to the metro anyway.

Book a post run curry at ocean road etc. The queues to get out are horrific for a few hours after the event and you have several thousand people queueing for metros or the ferry. Much better to relax for a few hours and then head home.

Book a post run curry at ocean road etc. The queues to get out are horrific for a few hours after the event and you have several thousand people queueing for metros or the ferry. Much better to relax for a few hours and then head home.

Not a bad idea, but you're not supposed to eat loads after a big run? Might get a taxi (hint hint) to the sleepers near yours that would be traffic free cos there's a metro right beside it.

Anyone on here done it? What times did you get, whatever you say you got I'm adding ten minutes on.

Anyone on here done it? What times did you get, whatever you say you got I'm adding ten minutes on.

You'd better not, since last year my legs did exactly what you described in your initial post and stopped working at around the halfway point. :lol: A not very noble 2:37 after 1:10 at halfway, with a "must train better" badge for next time - Jill must have passed me at some point, since I know she started in a later group, though she was good enough not to issue a Nelson-style "HA-HA" along the way. :)

Anyway, getting back at the end really isn't all that bad. The buses (not free, unless I allowed someone to take a couple of quid off me for no good reason) are frequent and, once they get past the initial crush at Shields, pretty speedy. I finished at 2pm or so and managed to queue up, board, get to Haymarket, call my old man, get ferried back to Gosforth, shower, change and get to Central Station in good time for the 4pm train to London and a friend's wedding dinner the same evening. No need for emergency bean-smeared naans along the way.

You'd better not, since last year my legs did exactly what you described in your initial post and stopped working at around the halfway point. :lol: A not very noble 2:37 after 1:10 at halfway, with a "must train better" badge for next time - Jill must have passed me at some point, since I know she started in a later group, though she was good enough not to issue a Nelson-style "HA-HA" along the way. :)

Anyway, getting back at the end really isn't all that bad. The buses (not free, unless I allowed someone to take a couple of quid off me for no good reason) are frequent and, once they get past the initial crush at Shields, pretty speedy. I finished at 2pm or so and managed to queue up, board, get to Haymarket, call my old man, get ferried back to Gosforth, shower, change and get to Central Station in good time for the 4pm train to London and a friend's wedding dinner the same evening. No need for emergency bean-smeared naans along the way.

How did you have your money and mobile with you at the finish? I'm carrying nee extra weight, enough to carry as it is. I've got visions of my legs stopping working tbh, so you did well to turn out at your mates wedding carry on.

How did you have your money and mobile with you at the finish? I'm carrying nee extra weight, enough to carry as it is. I've got visions of my legs stopping working tbh, so you did well to turn out at your mates wedding carry on.

You leave your stuff at the start - there's 20-odd double-decker buses lined up along Claremont Road for dropping off your bags etc. - and pick it up again from the same bus at the finish. It's all very efficient, as you'd expect after all this time I suppose.