Alan Smith

Monroe Transfer

I've never liked him, he wasn't even that good at Leeds. All his goals there seemed to be tap ins, and since he moved in to that defensive midfield role at Man Utd he's seemed to revel in this hard man image when there's fuck all hard about him. He's a mug. I've been going to the toon for 25 years now, and he's easily in the 20 least gifted players I've ever seen in black n white. What pisses me off about him is the praise he gets, "Smith has done a brilliant job for us in there.", Amdy Faye done no worse than him and got vilified. He can't run, pass, head, dribble he's shit. The only thing he has is he knows where to stand. He's so shit the crowd are amazed when he puts a good tackle in. Sooner that Yorkshire leech is away the better.

Agreed, he scored two good goals against us about 40 years ago but he was massively overrated at Leeds (imo) and I couldn't believe Manchester United went in for him, half thinking it must have been out of spite due to the rivalry and he being the local hero.

His reputation is a myth partly based on people hoping he would be the new Shearer as he put himself about a bit.

I remember that one he scored after 20 seconds, was a brilliant goal to be fair, but we won 3-1, one of my favourite toon games ever that, had to meet my Leeds supporting brother in law after the game, what a bitter cunt he was that day "two shit sides" when we absolutely battered them. Think the other one you're talking about was a night game top corner volley down the Gallowgate. He doesn't drink neither which says it all.

Your memory is much better that mine, I just remember him scoring two very good goals against us and thinking he would be one of those players that does (like Ryan Taylor I suppose). A shame both ended up here and not being up to much really.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious question, what is Alan Smith's career highlight at Newcastle? I'm not having his header in that friendly neither. I seriously think it was hitting the bar against Arsenal. He's shit, if he had any honour he'd give half his money to charity because he doesn't deserve it. Even now he's on double what Carroll is.

Serious question, what is Alan Smith's career highlight at Newcastle? I'm not having his header in that friendly neither. I seriously think it was hitting the bar against Arsenal. He's shit, if he had any honour he'd give half his money to charity because he doesn't deserve it. Even now he's on double what Carroll is.

That thirty yard sprint and being tripped as he approached the box.

His shitness is being further exposed by the absolute masterpieces in the art of a holding midfielder Tiote has shown in some games this season too.

Just amazing that lad, if he was English he would have cost at least 5 times more and would be exactly what the national team need at the moment. It's unfair on Smith talking about them in the same context even if they both apparently play in the same role.

His shitness is being further exposed by the absolute masterpieces in the art of a holding midfielder Tiote has shown in some games this season too.

Just amazing that lad, if he was English he would have cost at least 5 times more and would be exactly what the national team need at the moment. It's unfair on Smith talking about them in the same context even if they both apparently play in the same role.

You're right, it's like comparing Paul Mosley with Pierluigi Collina.

:lol:

About 3 games into last season when he looked fairly decent or at least wasn't as shit as before so we were tricked into thinking he looked fairly decent.

I suspect his general bloody mindedness was very useful in shaking the team up last season but he's looked a Championship player ever since he joined us

Sell him to the SMogs

Keeping up with the rest of the team on last seasons lap of honour.

He looked ok last year. Has been found out at this level once again

Maybe we could sell him back to Leeds... if we can convince them that he's sorry he left them for Man Utd.

if I remember correctly he never even scored 10 goals in one season for Leeds (or so I was told at some point in time!)

He got 11 one season in the league. 18 overall. 2000/01 His best return.

Rangers might buy him if their take-over goes through. He can afford to take a pay cut.

Something that makes him even more detestable, he's a Rangers fan too, from Yorkshire. Total mug of a bloke.

if I remember correctly he never even scored 10 goals in one season for Leeds (or so I was told at some point in time!)

TBF he was never billed as a striker

TBF he was never billed as a striker

Course he was billed as a striker you total mong. He was generally a striker at Leeds. He wasn't a support man or anything like that. Leeds up front were generally him and Viduka, he filled in different roles he played on the right wing sometimes, but he was a recognised striker, I'd love to see you justify how he wasn't a striker.

Edited by WDP

Rangers might buy him if their take-over goes through. He can afford to take a pay cut.

Something that makes him even more detestable, he's a Rangers fan too, from Yorkshire. Total mug of a bloke.

Cringeworthy the way he went on at Ibrox preseason.

What did he do at Ibrox? He is the classic new age nobhead.

Edited by WDP