Newcastle weigh up Adam Johnson loan bid

Christmas Tree

NEWCASTLE United are weighing up a sensational loan move for Manchester City’s England winger Adam Johnson.

Although Chris Hughton knows that money won’t be readily available in January, United’s lack of width has been exposed since the suspension of Joey Barton.

And with Manchester City ready to let four players leave on loan in January, the Sunday Sun understands that an audacious swoop for England winger Johnson has become a possibility.

Of course it would require a green light from Mike Ashley, but the owner has been shown to back the manager in the right circumstances. He allowed the United boss to sign both Hatem Ben Arfa and Sol Campbell over the summer – both big names on good money.

And if United were given signs that Johnson – or England compatriot Shaun Wright-Phillips – were to be made available it could give Hughton a chance to make a sensational swoop.

City would have to be persuaded about the wisdom of letting the England winger go, but he has been regularly criticised in public by boss Roberto Mancini and wants to be playing week-in, week-out to keep his place in the national side.

There are concerns about his lifestyle off the pitch but that would not put Newcastle, Johnson’s boyhood club, off signing him.

Although it is highly unlikely that he’ll be allowed to leave permanently, if the Eastlands club feel he has become a disruptive influence, they would let him go.

Newcastle had originally planned on using Ben Arfa as a wide player, but his injury has left them short of options.

And Hughton has been disappointed with the impact of Wayne Routledge so far this season – leaving him drawing up a list of possible recruits for January.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...79310-27729031/

He wants out of City from what I've heard and he would come here the sticking point is wages, he's on something like 60k a week and Man city have said they wont contribute to the wages of any players leaving them (guessing that covers loans in all) and I seriously doubt Ashley would want to break his 30k a week cap.

I agree I think he's absolute class and would be very excited if we got him on even just a loan, im just not convinced if Ashley would want to pay over this cap he's set unless he only counts the cap for full signings.

Mancini is one of the biggest fools in football. He's got the best keeper in the world on the bench, got rid of one of the best 5 players in the prem last year on loan to Cardiff, and if this is true now he's getting rid of Man City's by far most creative player. I really hope we can profit from this. People I know who know him say he's a cunt, but I don't care he's a brilliant player better than Downing even.

Mancini is one of the biggest fools in football. He's got the best keeper in the world on the bench, got rid of one of the best 5 players in the prem last year on loan to Cardiff, and if this is true now he's getting rid of Man City's by far most creative player. I really hope we can profit from this. People I know who know him say he's a cunt, but I don't care he's a brilliant player better than Downing even.

the bit in bold... a crock of shit. givens good, but not that good.

Had this argument with so many people, I think your opinions a crock of shit, but that's what it is an opinion.

Had this argument with so many people, I think your opinions a crock of shit, but that's what it is an opinion.

Heh. Givens best days are around 18-24 months behind him. he's making more errors and his decision makings not good enough anymore.

agree with the bellamy statement like.

I'd easily take him.

But I can't see it happening unless he continues not to get games and Man City would not sell him to any of their 4th spot competitors unless they are getting someone in return.

hell yeah! not going to happen but you never know.

fucking hell, if only we had some ambition and threw a bit of money around - not loads but enough to attract that sort of player. if we could add johnson, bellamy and carrick to the squadf - all players who you could potentially lure with the right cash, we'd be close to being a top side.

The main point Stevie makes is right though, Mancini is fucking awful. Unlimited funds and you end up with a starting 11 that includes Gareth Barry as a mainstay :razz:

He is an idiot like, Belamy farmed out when he was usually their top performer, never starts Johnson and seems to think playing as many defensive midfielders as possible is the way forward!

Would absolutely love Johnson on loan and if he is genuinely available then lest at least have a crack at it, whether its likely or not.

Got to agree. The mind boggles when one actually analyses some of the nonsense Mancini gets upto (think they'll finish top 3 despite him).