Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I must admit I'd happily play Perch at CB over Williamson. The bloke was unbelievably bad on Sunday. Terrified to be in possession.

Eh not meaning to burst your bubble and i don't like williamson myself, but you do remember what happened when Perch played there before?

I think you're forgetting CT's assessment of 'MOTM' Guttierez against Norwich.

Take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

Come on then clever clogs..... What was my assessment of Jonas on Sunday.

I must admit I'd happily play Perch at CB over Williamson. The bloke was unbelievably bad on Sunday. Terrified to be in possession.

Eh not meaning to burst your bubble and i don't like williamson myself, but you do remember what happened when Perch played there before?

I dont tbf but William son was a broken man on Sunday and Perch was like a lion.

In recent games Williamson has cost us a penalty and on Sunday was Norwichs most creative player.

Id take my chances with Perch over him.

so in short you don't remember perch being awful, but because he did alright in an entirely different position you'd put him in at centreback again :lol:

No, Id play anybody there instead of Williamson.

Not being funny when I say this this but it might not have come across how broken he was on TV.

Obviously he was bad enough when he had possession but even when the ball was elsewhere he seemed to be talking / arguing with Coloccini and Krul about passing the ball to others rather than him.

I dont see him doing any great reading of the game so I dont think it would be a massive risk. At least Perch in possession would make a quick sensible pass to a team mate rather than blindly give the ball away.

Anything would be better than Williamson.

Guest CabayeAye

Speaks volumes that it's only CT and CabayeAye wanting to see Perch at CB again - the two least knowledgable football posters on this board tbh.

A bit rich that you are gobbing off about me being 'unknowledgable' whilst resorting to insults in lieu of an actual counter argument.

It's short termism. "ANYTHING would be better than whoever was shit in the last game". People have said anything would be better than Perch whenever he's played though.

Surely short termism is whats required when you have injuries and loss of form?

Who's a ''proper winger'' then Christmas Tree & why?

Tom, you know I only follow Newcastle and have no idea who the current best wingers are out there. But Im talking people who can do the following things.

Receive the ball and distribute towards the penalty area first time for a forward to run on to.

Receive the ball and cross it first time for a forward to attack.

Receive a ball and race forward getting a cross into a dangerous area for a forward to attack.

Receive the ball and dribble goal wards before shooting or sliding in an inch perfect ball for a forward to tap in.

I dont know why anybody argues this point with me as these are the weak areas of our team. The closest we seem to have to this is Marveaux (injured and unproven yet) or Ben Arfa (needs to play for the rest of the season and either do or die).

Obertan is so far still a headless chicken, Taylor is just shite and Jonas while a grafter struggles to do any of the above.

This team with Ginola on the left and Nobby on the right would be awesome.

One down three to go...... Not rocket science now is it. :)

I think you're forgetting CT's assessment of 'MOTM' Guttierez against Norwich.

Take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

Come on then clever clogs..... What was my assessment of Jonas on Sunday.

Apologies, it wasn't you it was Noelie. Always get you two mixed up! :razz:

It's short termism. "ANYTHING would be better than whoever was shit in the last game". People have said anything would be better than Perch whenever he's played though.

No. Not unless it's a cup final.

Anyway, it's not that kind of short termism (x is injured/out of form, let's play y) it's in the sense of both players are fit and have had good and bad games recently, but you're basing your view on the one previous game.

3 months ago you were saying...

Hopefully Williamson will come in for Perch

I've no doubt if Perch came in and had a shocker at CB against WBA/Liverpool you'd be clamouring for Williamson to come in again. Battering both lads' confidence in an ever spiralling descent into unsettled tag team defending.

Maybe it's playing alongside an established quality defender like Colo that's to the detriment of their games.

I think Perch and Williamson should start as the CB pairing for a few games with Colo dropped.

We played Perch at CB against Norwich last time you retard. We lost 4-2. This time we played WIlliamson and won 1-0

He didnt have Colo next to him to be fair.

Saying that Perch is a crap player. He'll never amount to a PL player & certainly not a PL centre back.

No. Not unless it's a cup final.

Anyway, it's not that kind of short termism (x is injured/out of form, let's play y) it's in the sense of both players are fit and have had good and bad games recently, but you're basing your view on the one previous game.

3 months ago you were saying...

Hopefully Williamson will come in for Perch

I've no doubt if Perch came in and had a shocker at CB against WBA/Liverpool you'd be clamouring for Williamson to come in again. Battering both lads' confidence in an ever spiralling descent into unsettled tag team defending.

But thats what forms all about :rolleyes: Williamson is shot, spent, caboosh.

Williamson is a very poor defender but he's a championship level centre back that has no confidence, Perch is barely championship standard as a defender. Williamson is between 6' 3" and 6' 4", Perch is nowhere near that. Perch had a decent game, remember we were only playing Norwich at home he did perform well but it doesn't make him different to the player we saw when he had a few games at CB. This is why we really needed someone in January, Williamson isn't up to standard but I think people also forget how far below standard Perch is as a centre back he looks ok with a back 4 sitting behind him so any mistake can be swept up but any mistake at CB leaves Krul alone.

Edited by Howay

I think Perch is excelling in that role because he's basically being told to keep it as simple as possible. Break up their play if possible, if not, pressure and track their midfield runners. When you win the ball, keep possession by picking out players like Cabaye with a better range of passing or an outlet like Gutierrez/Ben Arfa. It doesn't take a wizard to excel in that role but someone like Alan Smith can't even manage that. Sometimes your team needs that sort of simplicity in the middle of the pitch to keep a hold of possession, especially if a better pass isn't immediately on. At centre half, it exposes his lack of height and strength (though he's not a bad tackler at all, you need to be a very good tackler to make them in the box with success) which is why we'll only see him if Willamson gets knackered.

We've got to remember that players dip in form all the time. Cabaye felt a drop in form recently, Ba had a poor run at the start of the season, Santon has just experienced a dip. Now, Williamson isn't of the quality of those but this is the same Williamson who had a stormer against Man Utd and has had stormers in the past. What he's good at (or rather used to be) is some no-nonsense defending. He can't bring it out very well like Coloccini but if there's trouble brewing, he would just get it out for a throw so we could re-organise and get our shape back. Now, he seems to be dallying about in situations where he would have normally dealt with it. I don't know if this is Pardew telling him to play a more passing-based game out the back, especially with Ben Arfa over on that right side now (no good humping it over the top of your outlet down that side) but he's obviously struggling.

I will say what Tiote does is drop deep to collect the ball from his centre halves and spread the play from there. You lose him, you do lose some of that dynamism in midfield and Williamson, lacking an easy pass to his midfielder or opposite centre-half has to take longer and invite pressure from their forwards, especially if he's being told not to just hoof it clear. I think Williamson has his flaws but a dip in form doesn't explain why he's constantly fucking about at the back when normally he'd be a lot more no-nonsense. That's by no means a bad thing on Pardew's tactics btw, playing from the back is a good thing when you have midfielders as good as Tiote and Cabaye but Williamson isn't the bloke for it. Steven Taylor is a lot better at it so we'll see an improvement when he's back for sure.

Also, a lot of goals conceded from attacks down our left side; Santon certainly isn't blameless in our goal leaking. We have the luxury of dropping him as Ryan Taylor has been solid there this season. We don't have the luxury of a back-up centre-half. Remember, we would have had Mariappa in January had it not been for Watford trying to bend us over

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Williamson would be much better if he had some decent competition to help him get in gear, He's comfortable at the moment because with Taylor out & the frankly bizarre decision not to sign a centre half in January he knows it's his spot.

On the pitch he resembles the Sunday morning prick who's the loudest on the pitch when he's moaning and telling everyone what to do despite being utterly shit himself.

I think Mariappa is a similar sort of (ball playing)defender to Colo. Ideally that is complimented by a no-fuss player who's dominant in the air, like Taylor or his understudy, Williamson. If Colo gets injured, we lose our creative centreback and become more predictable with our distribution.

Talyor and Colo worked well with each other strengths & weaknesses.

Norwich closed down Colo when he had the ball on Sunday, but generally let Williamson have it, as he'd soon fuck it up.

Guest CabayeAye

Just have Steven Taylor doing cartwheels down the touchline so he knows he's near.

If he's well enough to do cartwheels, he can play!

Seemed to be getting a lot of shit with that team selection before we kicked off but you can't knock it now, we've struggled against west brom recently

Its not a good post, its from someone who thinks that Cabaye and Tiote will dominate every game on account of them being good. Form dips, results go badly, luck has a role. It evens itself out which is why the league table doesnt lie.

Can admin delete it, i second Gemmill's post completely.

What a bunch of pretentious, pompous, supercilious, arrogant wankers you lot are, epitomised by Monsieur Given.

Get over yerselves man!

:lol:

I defy anyone to say they heard that lineup today and thought that pardew had got it right. We had a team out there who had no clue where they were playing or what their role was. You can't complain about 3 points but it should have been more comfortable than that.

I posted (so have evidence) that it was a good line up and the only change I would have made was Santon for Simpson.

We won 3-1 and missed a one on one.

Maybe I am some sort of genius, or more likely not just really, really negative?

I posted (so have evidence) that it was a good line up and the only change I would have made was Santon for Simpson.

We won 3-1 and missed a one on one.

Maybe I am some sort of genius, or more likely not just really, really negative?

They were wrong. I was right all along.

Hmmmm. I wonder who this reminds me of.