Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well done to Pardew, I was livid when we sacked Hughton for him but he's been immense from the off.

Re players leaving, I'd like to think that seeing the club is a lot better placed than when they arrived, the likes of Cabaye, Tiote and Ben Arfa will want to stay at a club that is on the up.

I'm slightly worried that Pardew keeps saying that if Real/Man U etc come waving wads of cash then that will be that, I can only hope that the club does not PLAN to sell these players in the hope they can continually unearth young, cheap talent. A lot has been made of our success with this group after flogging our previous matchwinners but to do this on a consistent, cycling basis as some have suggested requires an incredible scouting network and a lot of luck, and I doubt that it is a model for continual improvement.

Top marks to Pards, done a brilliant job and made a fair few of us eat humble pie, including myself.

Agree with the last para on the last post, hopefully the players will see that there's the foundation for something special here.

Well done to Pardew, I was livid when we sacked Hughton for him but he's been immense from the off.

Re players leaving, I'd like to think that seeing the club is a lot better placed than when they arrived, the likes of Cabaye, Tiote and Ben Arfa will want to stay at a club that is on the up.

I'm slightly worried that Pardew keeps saying that if Real/Man U etc come waving wads of cash then that will be that, I can only hope that the club does not PLAN to sell these players in the hope they can continually unearth young, cheap talent. A lot has been made of our success with this group after flogging our previous matchwinners but to do this on a consistent, cycling basis as some have suggested requires an incredible scouting network and a lot of luck, and I doubt that it is a model for continual improvement.

Spot on there like, but as Dekka has said "we now wipe our own mouth" financially. That means all costs on the playing side have to be generated by the club and that comes cheifly from players sales. We dont borrow any money nowadays, but fees paid for incoming players and wages paid to them are almost entirely down to getting huge fees for the current sqaud. Thats where we are and we've had a fantastic season, but as you say long term it will be interesting to see where it gets us.

Teams like Ajax operate like this as they constantly lose players to 'bigger' clubs around Europe. It doesn't affect them so much as they are one of the top dogs in their league which is far less competitive. The model can work as Spurs have shown over the last few years, but topping up with fresh talent every year is always risky. The balance has to be found with which players we can afford to lose and which we need to keep as the core. IMO none of our players are safe if a 'big' offer comes in. But as in the Carroll case we were right to take the money which was the same as having a good run in the CL two seasons running cash wise.

Yeah its very sad Ajax who've won the European Cup 4 times now very rarely feature in even the group stages. The other side of that though is Lyon in France who for me are what we are trying to replecate here at NUFC...and how they acheived a decade of great runs in the champions league using very similar policies to what we've had in the last 18 months are all detailed in the book Leazes was on about the other day. When they sold Essien to Chelsea they had Thiago to replace him at the club already. We're not at that stage yet but as long as we dont throw the baby out with the bathwater this summer and do it organically as Spurs have also done then I think we'll be going places. Good point about getting the income for chamions league runs in player sales instead but theres no real glory in every season being "transistional" for me.

If this has been a 'transitional' season I'd take one every year please ;)

Thats the point though....do you think if Cabaye and Tiote both leave we'll do it next season?...am sure you hope so (and so do I) but as luckyluke says its easier said then done.

I think Pardew was once again excellently managing expectations which will have understandably risen after a terrific season.

While I hope we can hang onto everyone we want, I much prefer his honesty regarding the whole set up.

At the time Hughtons sacking made no sense and the manner in which it happened wasn’t nice. That said I never attributed any blame with Pardew, I just never used to rate him as a manager. And it was just a bizarre appointment.

But as the season went on I warmed to him. He is a much more an astute manager than I gave him credit for. Players seem to want to play for him and he seems to be quite tactically aware. Our style of football as well most notably after Christmas was good to watch.

What has really impressed me though is the way he's conducted himself. You can tell he has the utmost respect for the club, the fans and really feels privileged to have the opportunity to manage this club. For him it seems there was a lot of unfinished business and a burning desire to succeed, so has grasped this opportunity with both hands. He also understands the need to communicate with the fans and when he does the radio shows he is open and honest with his answers.

Manager of the season – I think we all agree much deserved.

Spot on there like, but as Dekka has said "we now wipe our own mouth" financially. That means all costs on the playing side have to be generated by the club and that comes cheifly from players sales. We dont borrow any money nowadays, but fees paid for incoming players and wages paid to them are almost entirely down to getting huge fees for the current sqaud. Thats where we are and we've had a fantastic season, but as you say long term it will be interesting to see where it gets us.

Not necessarily, there was an interview with Llambias around the time the financial results came out and the article said that the club forecasts a profit of £10 million for this season, so there's your transfer kitty.

There's nothing wrong in what he's saying - there may be a few of the European giants looking at our better players because we have some quality in our 1st team. If the Milans or Madrids of the footballing world came in for our player with the right offer, you wouldn't begrudge them their move.

No-one was massively upset when Woody left because it was for a fair sum of money and it was for a massive club. Whilst we always will have an air of a big club at NUFC, there are still teams that players will see as a step up from us and that's fair enough.

I don't expect to lose any of the players this summer, not even Ba. There seems to be so many positive noises from several of the guys that they're enjoying playing for the club and love the city. Besides we're in Europe, potentially Champions league even. That's definitely making us an attractive prospect.

Question for Brock and Baggio (or anyone else) how many players do you think we'll lose this summer?....you can give a champions league answer and a Europa league answer.... Ill go 3 if its europa league, Tiote, Demba and Krul, and 1 if its champs league i.e. Tiote. That's the ones theyre willing to sell, am not ruling out offers being accepted for Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse etc...

I think we'll lose the fringe players we all know are leaving and Simpson.

The big names in the squad will stay on for at least another season before we really risk losing them to bigger clubs. They're a tight group of guys and we've had a great season, I just don't see why they'd want to go.

Since I don't think the club needs to sell players to be run soundly in financial terms, I just can't see why we'd sell anyone unless there was a ridiculous offer.

Question for Brock and Baggio (or anyone else) how many players do you think we'll lose this summer?....you can give a champions league answer and a Europa league answer.... Ill go 3 if its europa league, Tiote, Demba and Krul, and 1 if its champs league i.e. Tiote. That's the ones theyre willing to sell, am not ruling out offers being accepted for Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse etc...

I agree Ba and Tiote are the ones most likely to leave. Who will spend mega money on Krul though?

Ok, Smith= 2 player's wages instead of one, but its not an income its a saving, but yeah, it could well be 2 players capable of playing first team football which he plainly wasn't. Did his contract have another year to run? If so its a benefit for one season.

Ok, Smith= 2 player's wages instead of one, but its not an income its a saving, but yeah, it could well be 2 players capable of playing first team football which he plainly wasn't. Did his contract have another year to run? If so its a benefit for one season.

Are you working this out as a player's entire wage has to be paid for by transfer fees. If so, I don't think that's the way they're trying to work this. For example, you mention that if Smith goes, that only frees up a seasons worth of cash, cos he was gonna be leaving in a year anyway (the inference being that we'll have to cover any wages beyond that from incoming transfer fees). But Smith's wages are part of a recurring cost to the business and part of a sanctioned wage budget, so if we bring someone in on half of what we pay Smith, we've still reduced that budget and are spending within it (funded by revenues, not transfer fees). We don't need to look at it as if "we've freed up one year of his wages to spend, but the rest of what we pay a replacement will need to be covered by transfer fees."

At least I think that's how you're coming at this thing anyway.

Sort of, as you say Smiths wages for next season have been budgeted for, so next season if we bring 2 players capable of playing in the perm lge in and give them 30k a week each we've spent Smiths wages to good effect. We lose the effect the following season when we have to find the 30k a week x 2 from that seasons budget which probably means selling HBA or Cisse next summer etc..

No but that isn't how it works.

Say the wage bill is £5m and we pay Smith £1m.

Smith goes and we replace him with two players that get £500k each, meaning the wage bill stays at £5m.

The following year, the wage bill remains £5m (assuming no other movements), and that's a wage bill that we are happy with, so you don't need to find any money from anywhere as that wage bill is supported by your operating revenue (gates, TV money etc).