Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've never thought he was the man to take us forward so it's a bit of a weighted question. I don't believe anyone can take us forward under Ashley (I consider forward being regularly challenging for Europe, not just as a one off). I can give you a few reasons why Pardew does not deserve the sack though...

1. Last Season - To me he has undone all of his good work last season with his levels of ineptitude this season.

2. His Ratio - You go on about Hughton, yet Hughton was sacked for much less than Pardew.

3. His misfortune - Injuries have played a part, that I completely agree with. Yet do they excuse his God awful tactics? Bringing Shola on again especially at the time he did. Sitting so deep and letting West Brom attack us like they did.

4. I have still been entertained - Most seasons do have a canny share of moments yet the football from us as been utterly diabolical. Nobody expects us to be Barcelona, yet I do expect to see us go out there with some kind of an attacking gameplan rather than just give it to Sissoko which it seems to be at the moment and hope he can do something with it.

5. We are creative - I completely disagree that we are creative. I can see it with my own eyes as can many others. Stats aren't everything.

6. His replacement - We're fighting off relegation yet you think that Pardew is performing reasonably well? I can't believe how much he's getting away with things from the supporters.

I respect the opinion that Pardew should get more time because of what we achieved last season, but the opinion that he should stay based on our performance THIS season baffles me.

I have still been entertained

We are creative

FFS, we're in the relegation scrap!

Can't even remember if I have asked this recently actually or not so apologies if I have.

For those out there that still back Pardew - what is it about his managerial ability that makes you think that he is the man to take us forward?

He was able to take an unfancied squad to our best finish since Robson.

He has been largely shit this season. Too cautious. Too cagey and reluctant to go for the kill, instead preferring to try to grind out wins, and often failing. He deserves criticism for this. But (and its s big but) ...

I have zero faith that the current ownership are capable of replacing him with anyone better, or that any manager they identify will be willing to work under similar conditions, with one of the poorest wages on offer in the top flight and little say over transfers.

This season has been crap but sacking Pardew is unlikely to make it better and there's still a chance he could get them gelling again, as he was able to last season.

He was able to take an unfancied squad to our best finish since Robson.

He has been largely shit this season. Too cautious. Too cagey and reluctant to go for the kill, instead preferring to try to grind out wins, and often failing. He deserves criticism for this. But (and its s big but) ...

I have zero faith that the current ownership are capable of replacing him with anyone better, or that any manager they identify will be willing to work under similar conditions, with one of the poorest wages on offer in the top flight and little say over transfers.

This season has been crap but sacking Pardew is unlikely to make it better and there's still a chance he could get them gelling again, as he was able to last season.

I asked about his managerial ability though. :razz:

For example for me I think he's a very good man manager as more often than not alluded to in the press by the players. :thup:

I don't think that he has the tactical acumen required at this level though.

I've never thought he was the man to take us forward so it's a bit of a weighted question. I don't believe anyone can take us forward under Ashley (I consider forward being regularly challenging for Europe, not just as a one off). I can give you a few reasons why Pardew does not deserve the sack though...

1. Last Season - I was most vocal about our good fortune last season, but as we continued to push for 4th after christmas I had to hand it to Pardew. He had ground out the results to achieve way over the expectations any of us could possibly have had.

2. His Ratio - His results are still better than Dalglish, Allardyce, Gullit & Souness. Men who inhereted MUCH better squads and then got handed cash to spend as they chose, while Pardew does the job with one hand behind his back and gets what he is given. He also has a better ratio than Hughton, the man he replaced. That's not because of last seasons success bumping the numbers either, he's better than them on recent form as well. In the last 10 games he's won over 43% of points, which is better than all the above bar Dalglish.

3. His misfortune - Look at last years player of the season polls. And remind yourself how many games each of our best players has missed this year. Coloccini missed 3 games last year, He's already missed 15 this year. Krul's missed 10 as opposed to none. Cabaye has missed 14 compared to 4. Ba only missed 6 games last season. Ben Arfa missed 18 games last year but has sat out 21 already this year. Gutierrez missed 1 last year, 5 so far this. I can not stand to hear Pardew complain about this. We have a squad of pros and he should not give those coming in the excuse of lowered expectations....however we have to accept that missing half your best players for half the season each is going to prompt a drop in form.

4. I have still been entertained - Whether starting the season with a win against Spurs or knocking in 4 against Southampton, playing to last minute to score dramatic winners against Anzi, Fulham, Stoke, Chelsea and West Brom or going to the quarter finals of the Europa and running Benfica close. This season has still had a canny enough share of moments.

5. We are creative - despite the perception otherwise. We've won 1 point from 2 games where we have had a total of 40 shots and our opponents have only had 27. We aren't being dominated in games at all (Man City apart), we are set up to make chances and Pardew cannot put those chances away, it's down to the players on the park.

6. His replacement - I have not seen a single suggestion of anyone whatsoever that I believe Mike Ashley would bring to the club or that I think will necessarily be any better. Whenever the question is asked it's either "anyone but", jokey suggestions like Hitzfeld or unproven managers of lower league, relegation bait or foreign clubs. There may be someone with potential that would jump at it, and if it's announced that Pardew has been sacked and a replacement is already in place I won't shed too many tears, I would hate to see us look through the dregs that are looking for work though, having got rid of a bloke still performing reasonably well.

Good post that, particularly the final point. The JFK memory is still reasonably fresh in the mind

Things have changed massively since they appointed JFK though. Anybody can recognise that. Things have even changed massively since Pardew was appointed.

I asked about his managerial ability though. :razz:

For example for me I think he's a very good man manager as more often than not alluded to in the press by the players. :thup:

I don't think that he has the tactical acumen required at this level though.

He was able to take us to our best finish in a decade mainly through organising the team well: last season we had a watertight defence and were compact in midfield. We were helped by the goals from the two dembas massively. This season hasn't been anywhere near as kind with injuries, but it was never going to be, Ashley takes the blame there for not strengthening correctly in the summer.

Is Pardew the man to take us forward? Depends on your definition. I could see him turning it around and finishing top half again next season. 5th place was an overachievement. This year it's the opposite. Somewhere. around 7-10th is probably our natural order with proper help from the owner.

But if he is sacked I honestly don't see Ashley getting in anyone better. Do you?

Things have changed massively since they appointed JFK though. Anybody can recognise that. Things have even changed massively since Pardew was appointed.

Don't know if they've changed that much. The owner is still a wildcard. Fuck knows who he'd bring in.

He was able to take us to our best finish in a decade mainly through organising the team well: last season we had a watertight defence and were compact in midfield. We were helped by the goals from the two dembas massively. This season hasn't been anywhere near as kind with injuries, but it was never going to be, Ashley takes the blame there for not strengthening correctly in the summer.

Is Pardew the man to take us forward? Depends on your definition. I could see him turning it around and finishing top half again next season. 5th place was an overachievement. This year it's the opposite. Somewhere. around 7-10th is probably our natural order with proper help from the owner.

But if he is sacked I honestly don't see Ashley getting in anyone better. Do you?

Yes I do actually.

1. Last Season - I'll be honest. I can't see the difference between how we were set up last season that people loved compared to this which people hate. Can you say what he's changed to make us more negative? It seems to me to be only that we've not had Ba this year and people are complaining about results where last season performances were accepted because the results went our way.

2. His Ratio - How was Hughton sacked for much less? He won 5 games in 16 and everyone said he was hard done by. Pardew has won twice as many in twice as many games this season. About the same level of performance. I think Pardew is the victim of his own success. Your expectations are higher of him than Hughton.

3. His misfortune - Shola being our best option off the bench is an indictment of Ashley, not Pardew.

4. I have still been entertained - See 1.

5. We are creative - Stats arent everything, but they're something. Anger can blinker people as to what has worked in a performance. We created 20 chances a game in each of the last 2 games, the backlash is because we only scored one of them. Thats down to individuals though.

6. His replacement - Compared to the last relegation battle he has the team performing MUCH better than that one did.

I have higher expectations of Pardew than Hughton because Pardew has a better team to work with, simple as that really.

I also knew that you would bring up Ashley with regards to Pardew bringing Shola on. My point is though he doesn't have to bring him on though. I feel sorry for Gouffran as no matter what he does he will get substituted. Bringing Shola on just means we're going to defend even deeper and hit and hope up top. When we are winning and Shola is brought on for the last 15 minutes he's fine at doing that role as he's good at holding the ball up and can run himself ragged for 15 minutes.

I'd rather Campbell was brought on than Shola due to his energy that he would bring, yet under Pardew that would be pointless as we'd have to try and play the ball to feet. Look what happened towards the end when Cabaye was pressing high up the pitch we almost got something from it. No issue if we are going to sit deep and soak up the pressure with the aim of counter attacking (ala Stoke away last season which was a perfectly executed game plan). This season we just want to sit back and isolate our striker.

I have higher expectations of Pardew than Hughton because Pardew has a better team to work with, simple as that really.

I also knew that you would bring up Ashley with regards to Pardew bringing Shola on. My point is though he doesn't have to bring him on though. I feel sorry for Gouffran as no matter what he does he will get substituted. Bringing Shola on just means we're going to defend even deeper and hit and hope up top. When we are winning and Shola is brought on for the last 15 minutes he's fine at doing that role as he's good at holding the ball up and can run himself ragged for 15 minutes.

I'd rather Campbell was brought on than Shola due to his energy that he would bring, yet under Pardew that would be pointless as we'd have to try and play the ball to feet. Look what happened towards the end when Cabaye was pressing high up the pitch we almost got something from it. No issue if we are going to sit deep and soak up the pressure with the aim of counter attacking (ala Stoke away last season which was a perfectly executed game plan). This season we just want to sit back and isolate our striker.

When I see us passing and keeping posession and probing like in the first half I think that's what Pardew has spent the week drilling them with. When I see us twating the ball out of defense I think that's the players getting tired and desparate and ignoring what they've been told. When I see shola coming on I think Pardew is trying to get those balls to stick and stop it being wave after wave of attack. Like you say, pointless bringing on Campbell at that stage.

I've always backed Pards, but I'm starting to lose patience in him for the following reasons :-

1. Tactically inept at times. Other managers have time and time again changed things at half time and what has Pards done in response whenever a team has put pressure on us? That's right, start punting long balls, instead of looking to keep the ball or slow the game down or hit teams on the break. This is why we have had so many matches this season where we have only played well for one half. Example - Villa, Reading, West Brom etc etc.

2. Does not have the balls to drop his favourite players. He should be picking players in form. There were times this season when Jonas, Tiote deserved to be dropped for their poor form.

3. Players in wrong positions. Sissoko further up the field? Cabaye in holding mid? Cisse on the right wing? Shola on the pitch? Jonas at LB? FFS man!

4. When in doubt, play the long ball. If it doesn't work, get Shola on. Yes, the same Shola who is probably the worst bl00dy player in the league, who stays offside more than Cisse, who fouls more than a defender and who gives the ball away more times than anyone else . Also, we don't have the resources to play long ball. Even if we punt it up the field and Shola wins the header, there's noone ever around him.

5. Stupid fooking excuses game after game after game. Injuries, boys were tired, refereeing decisions, we don't score from set pieces cause we don't have height. blah blah blah

6. Doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to see that we play much better when we try to keep the ball, attack from central positions instead of going wide and crossing the ball into the box from deep to one player in the box. How many times this season have we actually strung more than 4 passes in the opposition half without giving the ball away because of a needless cross/punt into the box?

7. Assign roles for foock's sake. Tell Tiote not to shoot or try ambitious hollywood passes all the time, tell Jonas to not try crossing the ball all the time needlessly but to keep the ball/cut in/ pass ball to a player, tell Sissoko to slow the game down or release someone instead of running into players all the time. Tell our players to pass the ball to Ben Arfa/Marv when we're chasing a game. Ask Cabaye/Marv to stop that ridiculous set-play routine of aiming for Willo/Taylor at the far post.

I believe in long-term stability, but with the right manager. I;m not sure Pardew is that manager. Having said that if we sack him and replace him with a Mclaren, Curbishley kind of manager then the purpose won't be solved. We need someone better

I know now is not the time to be discussing this, especially with relegation looming over our heads but Pardew has really been boiling my p!ss off late. Obviously, the players should take a lot of the blame as well, but Pards should take the majority of it in my honest opinion for the reasons mentioned above.

Rant over!

Edited by IndianMag

I can see Moyes having a Pards kind of time here, one good season here and there in between years of mid table mediocrity. Would rather we stick with Pardew for another year at least.

Moyes isn't coming here, forget it.

Moyes is looking for a step up, not sideways. Stevie can fill 4 sheets of A3 on why he thinks we're a bigger and better club but that's not how we're viewed by the wider football public. Not sure even if Moyes will go anywhere. Who's he been linked with?...Manu?...not for a couple of seasons yet I wouldn't have thought.

He gets worse players than ours playing better than ours do. He's turned Baines, Jagielka and Fellaini into incredibly good players and he has blooded a fair few kids too.

How much of that is natural progression though?

and don't forget Felliani cost £15m.