Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

All 3 have had injuries that have hampered their development to be fair. I wouldn't terminate any of their contracts or owt, clearly better options off the bench than Smith for example.

Don't see any of them setting the Premier League alight later on if they aren't doing it at 20 though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit harsh there like, HF. They all need games to show what they can do and develop as players but I wouldn't write off any of them - it's way too early.

He's just doing his 'thing' again, you know, being contrary ;)

By agreeing with everyone in the thread except CT about the ability of "Shane" to step up.

Proper attention seeking twat me there like.

All 3 have had injuries that have hampered their development to be fair. I wouldn't terminate any of their contracts or owt, clearly better options off the bench than Smith for example.

Don't see any of them setting the Premier League alight later on if they aren't doing it at 20 though.

You can't expect every youngster to be an Oxlade Chamberlain though, can you? Even so, the jury is still out on him!

Each player is different and all three are prospects still undergoing their footballing education. Bit unfair to write any of them off at this stage just because they aren't in the first team and all showing signs that they're not the next Shearer or Rob Lee.

Walcott bust in on the scene very early but he's hardly setting the league alight at the moment. He's still capable of becoming a very good player but too has a lot to learn before he realises his potential.

Just have to trust that Pards knows what he's doing bringing these guys into the team and judging whether or not they are good enough to stay at the club in the long term.

You can't expect every youngster to be an Oxlade Chamberlain though, can you? Even so, the jury is still out on him!

Each player is different and all three are prospects still undergoing their footballing education. Bit unfair to write any of them off at this stage just because they aren't in the first team and all showing signs that they're not the next Shearer or Rob Lee.

Walcott bust in on the scene very early but he's hardly setting the league alight at the moment. He's still capable of becoming a very good player but too has a lot to learn before he realises his potential.

Just have to trust that Pards knows what he's doing bringing these guys into the team and judging whether or not they are good enough to stay at the club in the long term.

I'm not writing anyone off. Not saying terminate contracts and hoy them on the scrap heap or owt, and I pointedly said I don't expect them to match Ox-C at all.

But I don't see any of them being anything more than bench warmers at NUFC while we're in the Premier league. I'll hoy it in the predictions thread, none of them will start 20 games in a season at NUFC.

I'm not writing anyone off. Not saying terminate contracts and hoy them on the scrap heap or owt, and I pointedly said I don't expect them to match Ox-C at all.

But I don't see any of them being anything more than bench warmers at NUFC while we're in the Premier league. I'll hoy it in the predictions thread, none of them will start 20 games in a season at NUFC.

You could possibly compare Sameobi and Shane to Ox-C because they're all wingers, but to do so with Vuckic is unfair.

I still say each player is different and develop at different rates. Ox-C is very raw and looks like he has fantastic natural ability but let's see if he does more than become another Walcott.

Vuckic is a central midfielder though and we already have some good quality in our first team. It's not entirely beneficial to blood a youngster into a team that is stripped to the bare bones and in a patchy run of form. Hence he's off to get experience in a team that are genuine promotion contenders - give him games that install a winning mentality that you don't get with reserve football. He plays a completely different game and has for a long while been groomed to be an important prospect for the first team so this loan move is a pretty significant one to see where he stands in terms of his development.

To say 'I don't think any of them will make it' is effectively writing them off. I think Vuckic is the best bet for the first team.

I'd state my own prediction that Vuckic will have started 20 games for us in one whole season by the time he's 22 (he'd get most of a full season when he's 21, his birthday being in april.)

You could possibly compare Sameobi and Shane to Ox-C because they're all wingers, but to do so with Vuckic is unfair.

I still say each player is different and develop at different rates. Ox-C is very raw and looks like he has fantastic natural ability but let's see if he does more than become another Walcott.

Vuckic is a central midfielder though and we already have some good quality in our first team. It's not entirely beneficial to blood a youngster into a team that is stripped to the bare bones and in a patchy run of form. Hence he's off to get experience in a team that are genuine promotion contenders - give him games that install a winning mentality that you don't get with reserve football. He plays a completely different game and has for a long while been groomed to be an important prospect for the first team so this loan move is a pretty significant one to see where he stands in terms of his development.

To say 'I don't think any of them will make it' is effectively writing them off. I think Vuckic is the best bet for the first team.

I'd state my own prediction that Vuckic will have started 20 games for us in one whole season by the time he's 22 (he'd get most of a full season when he's 21, his birthday being in april.)

I could see it being taken that way....but then, I never said that, so got no idea why you've quoted me as doing so.

I'm not comparing players here, ability wise or positionally, just the progression of youth players into the first team. In a sense it's easier to make the step up at the likes of Arsenal or Man U, where you can be carried by those around you who win ganme after game. But you still have to have the ability to replace whoever's already there, and at those clubs the standard is much higher.

Walcott, at just 2 years older than Ferguson has played 200 more top flight games. Ox C has played 5 times as many as "shane" and he's 2 years younger than him. Andy Carroll had 4 times as many top flight appearances under his belt by the time he was 20.

More important than all that though, Ferguson still looks like a ballboy. He'd have to be an incredible Zolaesque talent to make up for it. He just isn't.

Like you, I have the highest hopes for Vuckic out of the 3. Hope he exceeds my expectations.

Edited by Happy Face

I agree with you on Ferguson - his physique may not be best suited to the prem. I think Sameobi would benefit a few sessions on an exercise bike as well...might not be a problem in lower leagues where they're given more time on the ball but in the premiership it's an important part of the game. But then again, Stephen Hunt makes up for his hobbit size by getting stuck in so it's not impossible for smaller guys like Shane to do well (not that I think Hunt is even a Championship-standard player ability-wise mine).

You mention Walcott's high number of games despite being young; Arsenal have always blooded youngsters into the team and have a manager who is very talented at doing so properly. That said, Walcott has had a great deal of games without there being any real competition for his place. At present they have Arshavin and Benayoun who can be deployed on the wing - hardly likely to freeze him out anytime soon. No chance I would change Arsenal's current midfield for our first team's.

It's a different scenario at NUFC and I think part of the reason Shane & Sameobi are finding it harder to break into the first team is that we have a number of wingers who are experienced and capable of doing a job at this level already. Shane's problem is that he has no first team experience and only has one standout bit of trickery that CT creams himself over. Sameobi as a right winger could fare better as we have an under-performing Obertan (another who I'd like to see do well for the club, incidentally) in terms of chances but for his injury. Ideally they'll keep loaning out all 3 until Pardew makes the call.

Perhaps if we had a different manager then the youngsters would be given more games, can't really say as Pards is at the helm. Unfortunately our academy hasn't provided us with a whole host of first team players in recent seasons and it has been a problem - we've been forced to pay over the odds for players with no connection to the club.

AC would stand out as a major exception but even then he got lucky in that we were short of decent strikers when we went down and so he was judged to be a simpler option than signing a makeweight striker. Thankfully he blossomed with the regular starts and Houghton's management and he also played in a team that was capable of pasting everyone else in the division. Not faring so well now but he could still come good again.

I don't want to say any of them won't make it because as I said - they may surprise us either way.

I don't think we do too bad tbh, one way or another the youth setup has hoyed out out Krul, Taylor, both Ameobis, Ferguson, Vuckic, Chopra and Carroll (off the top pf my head) who are in the first team squad or demanded a fee when they moved on. It's about 1 per year of varying quality.

Carroll himself has funded academy player wages for the next 10 years, and that's all they need. If Krul were sold, that would make it a very cost effective program.

Shane Ferguson has been called into former Newcastle midfielder Michael O'Neill's first Northern Ireland squad for the upcoming friendly against Norway.

Having pledged his international future to the Ulstermen, the Magpies man has been named in the 24-man party for the match at Windsor Park on Wednesday, 29th February.

He already has one full cap, having appeared as a substitute in a friendly against Italy in July 2009.

Glad he's playing for NI.

Can't say I agree with Ireland poaching British players, so it good to see him stay loyal to his country.

Aye, it should be done purely on geography, the same way I couldn't decide to play for Scotland all of a sudden. That said you do get some stupid reasons, once met a Rangers fan who thought "if they don't want to play for Northern Ireland but want to play for the Republic we should ban them from our football, if our national teams aren't good enough then our leagues aren't good enough :lol:". Mind you that was countered by some Celtic idiot saying that there should be only one Irish national team and they should ban protestants. Funnily enough neither of them debated about football...

Can't say I agree with Ireland poaching British players, so it good to see him stay loyal to his country.

Aye, fuck that Good Friday agreement eh?

Aye, it should be done purely on geography, the same way I couldn't decide to play for Scotland all of a sudden. That said you do get some stupid reasons, once met a Rangers fan who thought "if they don't want to play for Northern Ireland but want to play for the Republic we should ban them from our football, if our national teams aren't good enough then our leagues aren't good enough :lol:". Mind you that was countered by some Celtic idiot saying that there should be only one Irish national team and they should ban protestants. Funnily enough neither of them debated about football...

I must say then mate the pair of them sound like complete and utter idiots. If it ever got brought up and the FAI and IFA fancied a 1 national team the same as the rugby then i don't think it would be a terrible idea but would that then mean both organisations would merge and create 1 league body? It's far far to complicated for me to get my head round.

Moron *shakes head*, can't be arsed going over this again on here, but the ignorance of people commenting on things they have no clue about whatsoever is staggering at times.

Be good if it was like the rugby, might aid with the development of players etc, but it'd never work for football sadly, much too sectarian up here at league and international level still.

As someone mentioned he probably stayed knowing he'd not get a game for Republic any time soon, Trapp likes staying loyal to the players who get a team somewhere, always has done especially at international level.

ignore him man, do you not remember the africa comments? the lads a moron