Drink driving

Anyone ever done it/do it or been tempted? Was talking about it tonight with my mate, and he sometimes drives if he's only had the one or two, and we know another lad that drove back from Cardiff after than man utd semi pretty much wankered. Truth is though for all the times I've known people do it, I've only ever known one lad get caught.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think that you should not be able to touch alcohol at all if you're going to drive. No ambuguity about "well I can have 2 pints and still be fine.." I've seen the after-effects too often to make any kind of case for a safe limit.

way back when, people (including yer humble writer) thought nowt about driving after 4 pints - and a lot drove with an absolute skinful

those of us who survived have seen the error of our ways tho an absolute ban seems rather silly

Years ago people seemed to drive whatever their state, I remember as a kid my Dad used to drive after having a few pints. Thank god now most people have more sense. Hubby will have one weak pint of shandy and drive thats it though, never anything more. If he wants to have more he just leaves the car home or gets our son to pick him up <_<

it's pretty standard and accepted over here, living in the middle of nowhere. so it hasn't changed everywhere

it's also a lot more common in the US. I kind of thought everywhere looked upon it like uk/ireland urban areas until I moved to bumfuck nowhere, france

It's absolutely inexcusable to be over the limit and drive.

Not sure where the debate is?

I clearly wasn't advocating it or discussing the morals of it, I was asking if anyones ever done it. There isn't a debate to be had in that respect. You're a bit of a nob aren't you <_<

Inexcusable in this day and age. If you're taking the car don't have a drink.

Having had a friend killed by a driver who was messing around with his mobile instead of watching the road, it also boils my piss the number of people you still see driving whilst nattering into their phone despite that being illegal too.

Did it once, shortly after I passed my test. Just shuttling a friend home, 5-10 minutes there and back, but that's no excuse. Anyway, the extent to which I could tell my reactions were dulled was enough to put me off ever doing it again, thankfully.

If I go out on Friday dinnertime at work and have 3 pints by 2:30/3:00 then I feel I'm alright driving home from the station at 6:00 but if I occasionally have a 4th I leave the car in the car park and pick it up the next day.

I'd be quite happy with a zero limit - cuts all the shit imo but I know theres an argument from rural communities that its going too far which I disagree with.

If I go out on Friday dinnertime at work and have 3 pints by 2:30/3:00 then I feel I'm alright driving home from the station at 6:00 but if I occasionally have a 4th I leave the car in the car park and pick it up the next day.

I'd be quite happy with a zero limit - cuts all the shit imo but I know theres an argument from rural communities that its going too far which I disagree with.

How do you know when you're at zero though? Do you have to stop driving for 2 days every time you have a pint?

The limit is stupidly low though, I know for a fact I can drive just as good sober as I can after 2 pints. People who drink drive don't give a fuck what the limit is, they'll still do it anyway, seems like they're just trying to punish people who are going out for a meal and want a couple of pints.

There should just be a separate speed limit/lane for drunk drivers, a 5 mph speed limit after 5 pints or more would be fine, it would stop this nonsensical hysteria over drink-driving.

This is probably one of the worst ideas I've ever heard. I hope for your sake you're joking.

How do you know when you're at zero though? Do you have to stop driving for 2 days every time you have a pint?

I'd say next day unless you've had a shit load (arbitrary I know) then 2 days would be right.

The limit as it stands is too confusing due to drink strength, body weight and time taken to metabolise it. I know there are serial offenders who don't give a shit who should be fucked but I think its a bit iffy for the rest.

You should be allowed to have two pints of ale or 4 small bottles of beer and drive for distances of up to 25 miles, as long as it's not on a motorway/dual carriageway and is instead in residential and rural areas. In terms of spirits, I would say 3 double brandys/whiskeys would be the limit, though vodka seems to have a violent affect on people and that should be banned altogether. Drink-driving should be encouraged in certain instances, as it would ease the congestion that is caused by everyone getting a cab/waiting for the designated driver at the end of the night. This probably causes more problems on the road than drink-driving itself. I have to say, faced with the prospect of being in a taxi with CT for half an hour, I would be driven to the bottle, and would probably binge myself into a paralytic stupor. This sort of forced torture should be stopped and would help to promote a more relaxed and stress-free environment on our roads.

You should be allowed to have two pints of ale or 4 small bottles of beer and drive for distances of up to 25 miles, as long as it's not on a motorway/dual carriageway and is instead in residential and rural areas. In terms of spirits, I would say 3 double brandys/whiskeys would be the limit, though vodka seems to have a violent affect on people and that should be banned altogether. Drink-driving should be encouraged in certain instances, as it would ease the congestion that is caused by everyone getting a cab/waiting for the designated driver at the end of the night. This probably causes more problems on the road than drink-driving itself. I have to say, faced with the prospect of being in a taxi with CT for half an hour, I would be driven to the bottle, and would probably binge myself into a paralytic stupor. This sort of forced torture should be stopped and would help to promote a more relaxed and stress-free environment on our roads.

Fucking hell <_<

The law as it is currently enforced probably results in more people drink-driving than would if it were decriminalized, much like the current ineffective drug laws. If you changed the law so a man could have two pints of ale and two whiskeys and drive up to 25 miles in residential areas, I think you'd find the drink-driving rate would plummet significantly. You just have to approach it as if you were driving in snow: be prepared for stopping distances of up to ten times more than normal. Keep to a low speed in high gears and you should be fine, modern vehicles are equipped with ALB and are relatively safe.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt