Pardew hints at change in Transfer thoughts

peasepud

Ive not read the article yet but back page of the Ronnie states that following the performances of Shola and Best lately hes having a change of heart on transfers.

Could mean no new strikers in or ominously that we can live without Carroll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Form of Best and Shola sparks transfer rethink

* by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN PARDEW today revealed that the form of Shola Ameobi and Leon Best has "altered his thinking" in the January transfer window.

The Newcastle United boss started the month hoping secure the services of a striker to support his talisman Andy Carroll – but Pardew now admitted he could turn elsewhere.

United target Jay Bothroyd has indicated he wants to stay with Championship promotion contenders Cardiff City, and with Alan Smith leaving the Stadium of Light on crutches with his foot in a pot, a central midfield back-up player could now be on Pardew’s transfer radar.

The Chronicle also understands there could be further movement in the other direction with Wigan Athletic, Queens Park Rangers and Cardiff all thought to be interested in winger Wayne Routledge.

But after leading the Magpies to a 1-1 draw on Wearside, Pardew was left impressed by the way his makeshift strike force led the line.

Best, who grabbed a hat-trick against West Ham, won the corner that led to United’s opener, before Ameobi got the vital flick for Kevin Nolan’s goal.

And Pardew told the Chronicle today: “I have been really buoyed by Shola and Leon – they may just have saved me a problem looking elsewhere.

“And it’s not just them. Peter Lovenkrands has done well too and we’ve got Phil Airey just beneath them.

“Shola and Leon were as good as the home strikers at Sunderland in Darren Bent and Gyan. They did very well indeed.

“That is good for us because we have Andy carrying an injury.

“This has altered my thinking in the transfer window.

“We might be looking to improve in other departments now.”

And when asked if there was any progress on a reported bid for Bothroyd, Pardew said: “It depends on other areas. We may look to strengthen there instead now.

“Leon Best under me has been very good indeed.

“He got the hat-trick against West Ham and, although he found it tough at Stevenage, that was possibly a bridge too far for him because he had been out so long.

“People say he was out of sorts, but I can only judge what I can see and I don’t know if I feel I want to change things.”

Pardew said in Saturday’s Chronicle that he would not panic in the transfer window, and Dan Gosling debut on Wearside, coupled with Hatem Ben Arfa’s expected comeback from a double leg break means that the Londoner is optimistic about the future.

“Danny Guthrie was disappointed not to play against Stevenage. but he’s come in and put in a performance like that when we needed him,” said Pardew.

“Alan Smith also did very well when he came on and it was hard to tell the difference between what was our first-choice team and what was out there against Sunderland with Cheik and Andy missing.”

Pardew was forced to re-iterate yet again that he has no intention of off-loading £35m- rated striker Andy Carroll, with the Geordie linked with Spurs.

Boss Harry Redknapp said yesterday: “He’s a good player, he’s a handful, you’d like to have him in your team. But we are nowhere near getting Carroll.”

Meanwhile, Scottish Premier League outfit Hibernian want to take impressive young striker Phil Airey on loan at Easter Road.

Pardew was forced to re-iterate yet again that he has no intention of off-loading £35m- rated striker Andy Carroll, with the Geordie linked with Spurs.

It goes up £5m every week.

Shola has been above his average of late. But Best? I'm still to be convinced.

Ameobi is still just the same old tbh. You can get some good battling performances out of him like yesterday, but at the same time in the crucial moments his touches or decisions let him down. In the end he is nothing more than an attacking version of Titus Bramble tbh.

Best looked off the pace yesterday imho. There were some good balls played to him, mostly from Barton, where he either was too slow or not reacting fast enough.

Not having a go at Best as I don't think it was necessarily his fault that he wasn't in the game much but he did absolutely fuck all.

He looked to me like he may be decent but at the same time looks like he has been out for a while. Again in two minds - the hat-trick may have taken the pressure off but on the other hand might mask his averageness generally.

I'd still try and get a new striker - and look at shipping out 1 or 2 like Xisco.

Best move of the match should have finished with Best scoring, Enrique opted to try and lob Gordon from an angle with a bouncing ball on the up.

He was in the right position at the right time and i would have fancied him to score. Also the shot he took when Bramble fell akip had Gordon beaten.

Wasnt shite basically.

Not having a go at Best as I don't think it was necessarily his fault that he wasn't in the game much but he did absolutely fuck all.

He looked to me like he may be decent but at the same time looks like he has been out for a while. Again in two minds - the hat-trick may have taken the pressure off but on the other hand might mask his averageness generally.

I'd still try and get a new striker - and look at shipping out 1 or 2 like Xisco.

I agree. It was more in response to Pardew's notion that he did very well indeed. I thought he was pretty anonymous. I didn't think we'd get a striker in during this window anyway, a bit like last summer, because we've got loads of them on the books, whether you think they're good enough is another matter. I'd be worried about shipping out the likes of Routledge as well tbh, as I think he's a canny option as an impact player to have on the bench and we're short of wide players with much 1st team experience. Basically I don't see many, if any, players coming in and I wouldn't ship any out either. Wait until the summer.

It was Best who won the corner which the goal came from. His backheel into Bartons path was canny aswell.

Best move of the match should have finished with Best scoring, Enrique opted to try and lob Gordon from an angle with a bouncing ball on the up.

He was in the right position at the right time and i would have fancied him to score. Also the shot he took when Bramble fell akip had Gordon beaten.

Wasnt shite basically.

True, was unmarked on the pen spot and would've had a great chance at scoring. Still actually did nothing in that move though ;)

Depressing.

Edit.

Don't want to knock Best, he's a big powerful lad who might be better than we think, but to say we are happy with him and Ameobi, especially Ameobi who we have now watched for 10 years, says everything.

That is, to anybody left who actually still thinks we are ever going to get anywhere near where we ought to be under this owner.

Edited by LeazesMag

It was Best who won the corner which the goal came from. His backheel into Bartons path was canny aswell.

Not literally fuck all but winning a corner isn't a lot. Fair enough, we scored from it. I'm more getting at Pardew's comments tbh. I.e. I assume he's talking up Shola and Best to let us know players aren't coming in. I'm not that bothered about players not coming but could do without the bullshit, thanks.

Robbie Keane vs Shola + Best on the books?

I wouldn't touch Keane on a permanent deal tbh but I doubt we were seriously interested anyway, given his wages etc. Again, not bothered but cut the crap all the same.

I agree. It was more in response to Pardew's notion that he did very well indeed. I thought he was pretty anonymous. I didn't think we'd get a striker in during this window anyway, a bit like last summer, because we've got loads of them on the books, whether you think they're good enough is another matter. I'd be worried about shipping out the likes of Routledge as well tbh, as I think he's a canny option as an impact player to have on the bench and we're short of wide players with much 1st team experience. Basically I don't see many, if any, players coming in and I wouldn't ship any out either. Wait until the summer.

as much as i think Routledge is shite, we shouldn't sell anybody we don't need for the first 11 without a superior replacement coming in first.

Not literally fuck all but winning a corner isn't a lot. Fair enough, we scored from it. I'm more getting at Pardew's comments tbh. I.e. I assume he's talking up Shola and Best to let us know players aren't coming in. I'm not that bothered about players not coming but could do without the bullshit, thanks.

He's shite, you're right. If Pardew thinks he's able to bag a load of goals in this league he must be blind.

We'll not buy anyone, nobody will leave and we'll make any changes in the summer I reckon.

as much as i think Routledge is shite, we shouldn't sell anybody we don't need for the first 11 without a superior replacement coming in first.

That's the way I see it really. I suppose if the opportunity arose to make some money on Routledge now would be the time to cash in, but it must be reinvested too. I think we're woefully short of adequate cover and yesterday shouldn't dissuade people from that view any more than Stevenage should make us think we're a terrible side.

It sounds like he's just bigging up the strikers as managers do and the fact that getting anyone decent in this window seems very tough.

Much happier with a couple of decent loans til the summer.

While the squad is not great, its good enough to get us through to April and secure premiership status.

It sounds like he's just bigging up the strikers as managers do and the fact that getting anyone decent in this window seems very tough.

While the squad is not great, its good enough to get us through to April and secure premiership status.

Are you conceding?

Are you conceding?

;) Tut Tut Parky.

Receding yes, conceding never.