What are your ailments?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might sound preachy but maybe a few of you short-sighted posters should consider laser surgery - easily one of the best things I've ever done.

I've considered it, but I'd look and feel really weird without glasses as I've had them since I was 7. Plus the cost puts me off a bit - or at least it used to, not sure what sort of charge there is these days.

I might sound preachy but maybe a few of you short-sighted posters should consider laser surgery - easily one of the best things I've ever done.

I've considered it, but I'd look and feel really weird without glasses as I've had them since I was 7. Plus the cost puts me off a bit - or at least it used to, not sure what sort of charge there is these days.

£600 an eye. I've considered it for the last few years, but they still don't know what the risk is in later life. £1200 would pay for itself though considering I must pay £200+ a year for lenses and solutions. Apparently you can smell your eye burning during the op though.

£600 an eye. I've considered it for the last few years, but they still don't know what the risk is in later life. £1200 would pay for itself though considering I must pay £200+ a year for lenses and solutions. Apparently you can smell your eye burning during the op though.

Depends on the type - there are more options now than when I had it in 97/98 and I did smell the smell - not surprisingly a bit like roasting pork :jesuswept:

Mine was £400 per eye but I had to have 2 ops on my right eye to correct astigmitism so that was an extra £200. The only downer was the day after spent trying to sleep through constant irritation though I think the newer techniques reduce that immensely.

Oh well, certainly can't afford those prices without a lot of saving, and I'd rather save for a holiday or something.

A lot of places do interest free credit now I think.

Oh well, certainly can't afford those prices without a lot of saving, and I'd rather save for a holiday or something.

You can't wear geps your whole life though, especially when contacts are so cheap. Must be uncomfortable running in them.

You can't wear geps your whole life though, especially when contacts are so cheap. Must be uncomfortable running in them.

Well I don't really remember running without them on so I've never really thought about it. :jesuswept: I'll probably get round to looking into it at some point, but it's not really where my money needs to go at the moment so I'll put it off for a bit.

Well I don't really remember running without them on so I've never really thought about it. :jesuswept: I'll probably get round to looking into it at some point, but it's not really where my money needs to go at the moment so I'll put it off for a bit.

I pay £27 for 3 months contacts 5a bottle of solution. So work that out, £11 a month, 33p a day, it's nowt for the pleasure of seeing without walking the street looking like Jack Duckworth (me not yee). The money is neither here nor there.

Edited by McFaul

I'm alright with some ok-range glasses every couple of years and eye tests get paid for by work.

Mind I'm going to flatten you if they get on my nerves next time I'm running. :jesuswept:

I'm alright with some ok-range glasses every couple of years and eye tests get paid for by work.

Mind I'm going to flatten you if they get on my nerves next time I'm running. :jesuswept:

I didn't get contacts till I was 17, and it was like I'd being given my sight back. The thing I mind about me geps, I went on some A Level geography field trip in the Lake District, summik Tarn, a can't mind where it was, we walked for about 10 mile, and they needed windscreen wipers - really steamed up and it was always the case when I ever did any exercise in them. I moan and my eyes are -1.5 got it really must be white stick terrirory at -7.0 like you and J69. Give contacts a try, honestly it'll give you a right boost for about a month, you think fuck me I can see.

Edited by McFaul

Apparently when you hit 40ish you'll still need geps for reading anyway so whats the fucking point.

Apparently when you hit 40ish you'll still need geps for reading anyway so whats the fucking point.

The possibility is mentioned upfront - just as someone born with perfect vision might need glasses as they get older. The 40ish is bollocks though - mine hasn't degraded at all yet.

Renton, apologies for taking the piss. :jesuswept:

I went on holiday to the dominican a couple of years back, and randomly picked up a bollock infection while there. Being woken up in the middle of the night by a stabbing pain in thee plum is scary. :(

Anyway, on the last day of the holiday I discovered an on site doctor and was given some painkillers and antibiotics. Got back home and it never cleared up - I should say the infection went but the pain stayed. Kept getting given new antibiotics, new painkillers, nothing worked. Have been for ultrasounds so often that I'm probably sterile, and there's nowt sinister there.

Eventually they just said look sometimes people who have had an infection there get stuck with the pain, deal with it. So for the last 2 years I've had more or less constant nad pain with referral into the top of my leg. I'd spoken to the doc about pain treatment but they told me it would be stuff that made me drowsy so I never fancied it. But since going to the gym regularly and basically being more active the pain has got worse, so a couple of weeks ago I got prescribed some nerve painkillers (basically light doses of anti depressants) and for the lsat week have been close to, but not quite, pain free. I'm really hoping that this is it fixed - might need a slight increase in dosage. No side effects other than I fall asleep after a pint. :lol:

I've been on Amitriptyline for nerve pain for 3 months now. Only a low dose of 20mg a night. (for depression the dose would have to be much higher) It normally takes a few weeks to really work. Initially it made me a bit drowsy but not now I'm used to it. Wonderful drug! Useless as an Anti-depressant apparently but very good for nerve pain. I think the only negative is its increases your appetite <_<

I went on holiday to the dominican a couple of years back, and randomly picked up a bollock infection while there. Being woken up in the middle of the night by a stabbing pain in thee plum is scary. :(

Anyway, on the last day of the holiday I discovered an on site doctor and was given some painkillers and antibiotics. Got back home and it never cleared up - I should say the infection went but the pain stayed. Kept getting given new antibiotics, new painkillers, nothing worked. Have been for ultrasounds so often that I'm probably sterile, and there's nowt sinister there.

Eventually they just said look sometimes people who have had an infection there get stuck with the pain, deal with it. So for the last 2 years I've had more or less constant nad pain with referral into the top of my leg. I'd spoken to the doc about pain treatment but they told me it would be stuff that made me drowsy so I never fancied it. But since going to the gym regularly and basically being more active the pain has got worse, so a couple of weeks ago I got prescribed some nerve painkillers (basically light doses of anti depressants) and for the lsat week have been close to, but not quite, pain free. I'm really hoping that this is it fixed - might need a slight increase in dosage. No side effects other than I fall asleep after a pint. :lol:

I've been on Amitriptyline for nerve pain for 3 months now. Only a low dose of 20mg a night. (for depression the dose would have to be much higher) It normally takes a few weeks to really work. Initially it made me a bit drowsy but not now I'm used to it. Wonderful drug! Useless as an Anti-depressant apparently but very good for nerve pain. I think the only negative is its increases your appetite :icon_lol:

I'm only on 10mg and its definitely made a difference but hasn't completely got rid of the pain, so I might ask for an increase to 20mg when I go back to the doctor. I noticed the difference probably after about 10 days. At first I thought it was hopeless!

Does it affect you with drink as well, in terms of making you sleepy?

Re the appetite thing, when I first got prescribed I did some reading on the internet and a lot of people were complaining about weight gain which I didn't fancy. But then when you read a bit more they were saying stuff like "I find myself sitting around doing nothing all the time because of how drowsy they make me". <_<

I've been on Amitriptyline for nerve pain for 3 months now. Only a low dose of 20mg a night. (for depression the dose would have to be much higher) It normally takes a few weeks to really work. Initially it made me a bit drowsy but not now I'm used to it. Wonderful drug! Useless as an Anti-depressant apparently but very good for nerve pain. I think the only negative is its increases your appetite :rolleyes:

I'm only on 10mg and its definitely made a difference but hasn't completely got rid of the pain, so I might ask for an increase to 20mg when I go back to the doctor. I noticed the difference probably after about 10 days. At first I thought it was hopeless!

Does it affect you with drink as well, in terms of making you sleepy?

Re the appetite thing, when I first got prescribed I did some reading on the internet and a lot of people were complaining about weight gain which I didn't fancy. But then when you read a bit more they were saying stuff like "I find myself sitting around doing nothing all the time because of how drowsy they make me". <_<

:icon_lol:

I don't think many drugs, if any at all actually make you gain weight, but I am sure I am hungrier :rolleyes: (that only happened after about a month mind)

I started off on 10mg at night for the first week then my doc increased it to 20mg, which has made a real difference to my life. I don't seem to have any side effects at all. Its incredible!

With the alcohol, at first I could barely manage a small glass of wine and I'd be sound asleep :icon_lol: But now I can have a couple of drinks and I'm fine, anymore though and I'm all out :stars:

Good stuff, glad to hear it's helping with you. I'm not that arsed about not being able to drink tbh. It'll be good for the flight to Australia later this year - couple of glasses of vino and I'll be in Sydney.

Good stuff, glad to hear it's helping with you. I'm not that arsed about not being able to drink tbh. It'll be good for the flight to Australia later this year - couple of glasses of vino and I'll be in Sydney.

Yeah, I drink very little really, so its no problem. Get your Doc to increase it to 20mg and you'll be pain free in no time I bet!

I do have misgivings about taking any medication on a regular basis, but I was desperate in the end to try anything. I still worry about long term effects though. But then you have to think about the quality of your life now. I just wish there was a 20mg tablet but it jumps from 10mg to 25mg, so you have to take two!

See..... I've been very polite and made no reference at all to your particular problem Bianca :(:jesuswept:

Yeah, I drink very little really, so its no problem. Get your Doc to increase it to 20mg and you'll be pain free in no time I bet!

I do have misgivings about taking any medication on a regular basis, but I was desperate in the end to try anything. I still worry about long term effects though. But then you have to think about the quality of your life now. I just wish there was a 20mg tablet but it jumps from 10mg to 25mg, so you have to take two!

See..... I've been very polite and made no reference at all to your particular problem Bianca :(:jesuswept:

That's cos you can't think about it without getting aroused. Aye I might just double up on my current tablets for the time being.

See..... I've been very polite and made no reference at all to your particular problem Bianca :lol::(

That's cos you can't think about it without getting aroused. Aye I might just double up on my current tablets for the time being.

:jesuswept: Aye, because your condition makes girls so horny. <_<

See..... I've been very polite and made no reference at all to your particular problem Bianca :lol::jesuswept:

That's cos you can't think about it without getting amused. Aye I might just double up on my current tablets for the time being.

:(

See..... I've been very polite and made no reference at all to your particular problem Bianca :lol::(

:jesuswept: Aye, because your condition makes girls so horny. <_<

My knackers do.

All joking aside Gemmill, it must be a right ball ache

zaz..... nah :jesuswept:

More likely he's got three stones and it's cutting him down the middle!

What a load of bollocks Scotty, don't worry once you're in 'stralia some crawly (no not an English back packer) is bound to bite you on the bellend, so it shouldn't hurt as much! :(

Get a sore hip after I've been running

My ankles click like a bag of marbles (have done since I was a teenager)

Also got something dodgy with my vision but I gave up with the Dr telling me it was floaters.