Routledge

Mr Gittes

REVITALISED winger Wayne Routledge has not given up hope of resurrecting his Newcastle United career.

Routledge has been a revelation since joining QPR on loan at the turn of the year, scoring four times in 13 games to help the Loftus Road outfit to the brink of promotion.

Rangers are desperate to clinch a permanent £1.5million deal at the end of the season, but Neil Warnock’s assertion that a fee has already been agreed between the Championship leaders and Newcastle has been knocked back by Routledge’s agent, Will Salthouse.

Instead, his advisor has revealed the 26-year-old would love to return to St James’ Park for a second crack at making his Magpies move a success.

“Wayne’s going to come back to Newcastle United in the summer. There’s no deal in place between QPR and Newcastle,” he told The Journal.

“There’s an option of a permanent move as part of the deal but nothing has been agreed at the moment and he’s looking forward to returning.

“He’d like to come back to Newcastle United and show what he can do, to be honest, but obviously if Newcastle don’t want him then it is difficult for him.

“But at this moment in time he’s looking forward to coming back and trying to fight for his place at Newcastle.

“He’s enjoyed his time so far and has two years left on his contract, so he’s certainly not looking to move on unless Newcastle want him to.”

Routledge’s desire to return is one thing but much will rest on how Alan Pardew’s summer recruitment drive progresses.

The United boss has the £35million Andy Carroll kitty to spend and had suggested he was ready to let the former England under-21 man leave after concluding he would not command regular starts.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl.../#ixzz1JU7xlrFF

Would keep him tbh, decent backup winger. Still don't know who's made the decision to let him go in January.

Agreed, stupid letting him go as the squad was really thin. Maybe not a starter but as a late sub, his quick pace will leave a tired LB for dead.

Even my girlfriend knew letting him go would turn out to be a mistake.

I'd prefer that we keep him. At 1.5M there's every chance that you get someone worse. We need another right winger anyway on top of a backup, the more we spend on one the better our first 11 becomes. Keeping Routledge as the backup makes sense. Some pace off the bench is always good to have and he's shown he's not adverse to the odd goal.

lettign him go was another stupid decision by ashley. he's not the best player but the squad is so short of quality, not to mention players with pace that can take people on. he'd definitely have started a bunch of games for us if we hadn't let him go.

Agree with most what's been said.

Not sure about Larsson though. Can be a great threat in terms of set-pieces/crosses on the day, but I don't think he would be consistent enough. So no real improvement on Routledge.

lettign him go was another stupid decision by ashley he's not the best player but the squad is so short of quality, not to mention players with pace that can take people on. he'd definitely have started a bunch of games for us if we hadn't let him go.

I dislike Ashely as much as the next man but thats not his fault dude, thats rapidooos

lettign him go was another stupid decision by ashley he's not the best player but the squad is so short of quality, not to mention players with pace that can take people on. he'd definitely have started a bunch of games for us if we hadn't let him go.

I dislike Ashely as much as the next man but thats not his fault dude, thats rapidooos

Nobody knows, so I wouldn't blame a particular person, it was simply a bad decision, taken by Ashley, Llambias or Pardew.

Nobody knows, so I wouldn't blame a particular person, it was simply a bad decision, taken by Ashley, Llambias or Pardew.

Thinks its pretty clear how Pardew feels about him. :(

Pardew said on Routledge’s move:

“Well I think theres opportunities for players that come along and you have to weigh it up.

“I mean, was Wayne gonna be a long term first team player for us? and I don’t think he was.”

“QPR offered him that position, and I felt that is best for him and best for the club that we took that opportunity.

“You know, when you bring players in I think it’s important that they affect your first team.

“There are occaisions, and there will be, when I bring in a player to full up the squad [sic], so to speak.

“But you know, I just felt that the Wayne one was a deal that was right for him, more importantly, and right for us.

“Because You have to sort of move on players to grow, and, you know, we have to get better than Wayne and that’s what we’re gonna aim to do.”

Wan't it stated that he was let go because pardoo didnt rate him at all and thought he wouldn't even cut it as back up? so sent him away to try and sharpen up? (reckon ranger needs it more tbh)

Could be off the mark but i swear i read that somewhere.

Personally i reckon they'll be trying to spend as little of our 'transfer kitty' in the summer, and if we have a returning spare winger - pardew will be encouraged to keep hold of him, one less position to fill!

I really dont mind routledge at all tbh, never really saw what people slated him for, he was unlucky not to get a goal or two in the first half of the season, and at times was more consistent than Gutierrez in his delivery! If only he and Simpson could develop that telepathy play we have going on the left :(

Larsson is a decent player, better than Routledge, but still not good enough.

We won't go into the fee as CT will probably say to me something like "if he cost 5m would that make him any better". The answer is no. The point is why are we targetting ordinary players in the first place when we have so much money and so much improvement to make, having sold 2 or our best players and are sitting waiting for quality players to replace them.

Edited by LeazesMag

We won't go into the fee as CT will probably say to me something like "if he cost 5m would that make him any better". The answer is no. The point is why are we targetting ordinary players in the first place when we have so much money and so much improvement to make, having sold 2 or our best players and are sitting waiting for quality players to replace them.

?

:( I'm not gonna say this *says this* cos if I do, CT will say this *says this on CT's behalf*, and then I'll be forced to retort with this *delivers retort for what CT would probably have said given half the chance*.

So yeah I'm not even gonna say it, cos I just don't want to get into that.

Ah fuck!

?

Enrique has gone CT. He'll play the season out, but he's gone.

:( I'm not gonna say this *says this* cos if I do, CT will say this *says this on CT's behalf*, and then I'll be forced to retort with this *delivers retort for what CT would probably have said given half the chance*.

So yeah I'm not even gonna say it, cos I just don't want to get into that.

Ah fuck!

Hey, you're a funny guy :razz:

Looks to have recaptured some form at QPR and he had a few blinders for is in the championship. Not worth giving up on yet

Agree with this tbh, we need to start building a squad as well as improving our first 11 we can't just let everyone go that we deem isn't going to be a first team regular. For the money they're talking you'd be hard pressed to improve on routledge so there's really no point, especially as it seems he doesn't really want to leave.

too good for the championship, not quite good enough for the premiership?

Could say the same for Guthrie, Raylor, Shola and Best.

Id have him back and like the others use him as a squad player.

Id only really let go of Lovenkrands, Smith and Perch. Ranger on loan.