Mike Williamson

Craig

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've stuck up for Williamson in the past, but he's been playing like a fairy recently. Hope he hits the weights over the summer.

Largely attitude/personality I think. Needs some mongrel.

It will be good for Saylor to get some games this season. He's not great, we all know that, but he has been decent in the past yet has looked far from that since coming back from injury.

Guest alex
Staylor > Williamson

Not much in it imo but I prefer Williamson as he's more honest. Taylor is probably the better footballer. They're both tarts though and should be back-up ideally.

Guest alex
Wish him a swift recovery but by far the worse player in the starting 11.

If everyone's fit he's definitely one of the weak links but I think that's a bit harsh. I think Danny Simpson has shown his defensive frailties and attacking limitations, especially in the 2nd half of the season actually and he benefits from playing in a much less crucial position. I suppose where Williamson plays makes any weaknesses a bigger issue though. I think you could argue whoever we have starting upfront is at least as bad too, and that's just as important a position (unless you counted Nolan or, ideally, Ben Arfa playing as a no. 10 / in the hole). Either way you'd still have Shola or Best as the CF.

Edited by alex

If everyone's fit he's definitely one of the weak links but I think that's a bit harsh. I think Danny Simpson has shown his defensive frailties and attacking limitations, especially in the 2nd half of the season actually and he benefits from playing in a much less crucial position. I suppose where Williamson plays makes any weaknesses a bigger issue though. I think you could argue whoever we have starting upfront is at least as bad too, and that's just as important a position (unless you counted Nolan or, ideally, Ben Arfa playing as a no. 10 / in the hole). Either way you'd still have Shola or Best as the CF.

He's got a tougher job but he seems least comfortable on the ball and most prone to stupidity. Lovenkrands gets an easier ride as he doesnt actually kick a ball for 20 minutes at a time and Simpson is out of the way. I guess his weakness is based on the importance of his role not just on his ability. We certainly need a new CB this summer.

He's been getting right on my tits lately. I think he goes hiding personally-he was much improved under Hughton, been shite lately.

Chronicle saying Sol is being released this summer, one of the biggest earners at the club. Also mooted to be on the way out : Smith, Guthrie, Enrique and Jonas.

Danny Guthrie – who has attracted interest from top Championship clubs – looks vulnerable, having failed to hold down a regular starting slot under either Hughton or Pardew, as is Alan Smith.

Smith is another big earner at St James’ Park, but he is only considered back up for first-choice centre midfield pair Kevin Nolan and Cheik Tioté.

The former Leeds and Manchester United star will have just one year left on a contract that earns him in excess of £58,000 a week and which will almost certainly not be renewed.

A bid in excess of £1m could be tempting for a club which is trying to free up wage bill space for new recruits to ensure more of the £35m received for Andy Carroll can be spent on transfer fees. With José Enríque – who is still refusing to open contract talks – almost certain to leave at the end of the season given the goodbye tone of a television interview earlier this week, another surprising departure could be Jonás Gutiérrez.

The Argentina international is concerned by the impending departure of his close friend and may also feel the time is right for him to move on after three years on Tyneside.

Newcastle are not actively looking to sell the winger, although they would not stand in his way if a large bid came in given they intend to sign at least one new wide player this summer.

Plus the club have injured France international Hatem Ben Arfa to return to the side.

Oh well, Ben Arfa will be like a new signing :(

from the Chronicle

Edited by Barney

I'd say that ameobi and lovenkrands are as bad as any duo I've seen in my time and both are shite individually as well.

So I don't think you'd have much trouble winning that argument.

Guest alex

He's got a tougher job but he seems least comfortable on the ball and most prone to stupidity. Lovenkrands gets an easier ride as he doesnt actually kick a ball for 20 minutes at a time and Simpson is out of the way. I guess his weakness is based on the importance of his role not just on his ability. We certainly need a new CB this summer.

He's a bit out of his depth at times I agree. In fact I think both him and Taylor fall into the trap of looking to foul players etc. because they're not quite good enough. In Williamson case if he's playing against a big strapping lad he wrestles him in the box, risking a pen, rather than just trying to win the ball. In Taylor's case he's sweeping up behind Harper instead of marking his man. If both/either just stuck to being big, strong centre-halves then I'd be happy enough but I don't think either have it in them tbh. I'd take Bassong back in a shot and someone like Samba alongside Collocini would be ideal too.

None of our strikers are good enough to be regular 1st teamers in the Premiership

Same goes for Smith, Guthrie, Routledge, Raylor, Simpson, Williamson or Saylor.

Basically, we need at least one new striker, another winger, a right back and a centre back. With very few outgoings; the team has picked itself far too many times this season.

Actually, it probably would have been easier just to list the ones capable of playing regularly to the required standard.

None of our strikers are good enough to be regular 1st teamers in the Premiership

Same goes for Smith, Guthrie, Routledge, Raylor, Simpson, Williamson or Saylor.

Basically, we need at least one new striker, another winger, a right back and a centre back. With very few outgoings; the team has picked itself far too many times this season.

Actually, it probably would have been easier just to list the ones capable of playing regularly to the required standard.

Krul, Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas, Tiote, Nolan, Barton and Ben Arfa.

Possibly Saylor and Simpson...both need to really iron out a few creases though.

Simpson's recent shitness makes the centreback's job tougher also.

This isn't a huge loss really with us already being safe and all. Be good to see Taylor get a couple of games under his belt.

Anyone else think he's looked a reet fat bastard (not Wyn style, just a bit of a porker) coming off the bench lately?

This isn't a huge loss really with us already being safe and all. Be good to see Taylor get a couple of games under his belt.

Anyone else think he's looked a reet fat bastard (not Wyn style, just a bit of a porker) coming off the bench lately?

Yeah he has looked a little heftier than usual. Slim down a bit and take owenership of your role on the pitch (stop pointing about like a disco queen) and Saylor could make a good partner for Coloccini. Both are dreadfully slow though, which is a worry, but Williamson is no quicker anyway. That's where Tiote's importance in shielding them comes into play.

If we lose Enrique that's all our pace from the backline gone. Simpson isn't slow, but only has one speed, which is far from blistering. He looked like he would kick on and become a very solid fullback for us but instead he's weakened as the season has gone on, exposing some of the deficiencies in his game. Kadar's been out in the wilderness through injuries and being loaned out, but he had looked a good prospect in the past. This next season for him will be time to get back into the squad. At only 21 he's still got plenty of developing to do as a defender, but much of that will need to be done on the pitch. This season has been a wasted one for him where we didn't get a chance to see whether he's a decent long term prospect.