It's Yohan Cabaye

Toonpack

'Bit presumptious to call him Rob Lee esque after a friendly against Darlington like. I'f be concerned if he didn't look a class above.

That's why I said possibly????

More in relation to the sort of player he looks like he is going to be tbf.

Hope so anyway.

In what way? If you're judging by his appearance on Friday, then he played a lot deeper than Rob Lee did in his prime for us. Lee only played further back when his legs went.

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Bit presumptious to call him Rob Lee esque after a friendly against Darlington like. I'f be concerned if he didn't look a class above.

Hope so anyway.

In what way? If you're judging by his appearance on Friday, then he played a lot deeper than Rob Lee did in his prime for us. Lee only played further back when his legs went.

I think he was playing the Tiote role on Friday so when he actually plays in a proper match with Tiote (if he's still here) then I think he will be even better.

As you know I dont watch a great deal of football, but what I saw on Friday reminded me of how Lee used to play. He looked as though he had it all TBH.

Hope so anyway.

I think he was playing the Tiote role on Friday so when he actually plays in a proper match with Tiote (if he's still here) then I think he will be even better.

As you know I dont watch a great deal of football, but what I saw on Friday reminded me of how Lee used to play. He looked as though he had it all TBH.

He did ask 'in what way?' though tbf.

ALAN PARDEW has backed summer signing Yohan Cabaye to be a key man for Newcastle United this season – but he will have to wait a little longer to integrate the Frenchman into his pre-season plans.

The Chronicle can reveal today that Cabaye was not on board the Magpies’ flight to the United States yesterday and will play no part in the three-game tour of the US.

A minor technical problem with his visa application is believed to be the reason for his omission from the squad.

But Pardew is relaxed about the situation and does not feel it will interfere with his plans this season.

Pardew – who does have Demba Ba and Sylvain Marveaux with him in America – told the Chronicle today from Kansas: “Yohan will add something to us – he’ll add a pass and an intelligence to our game, for sure.

“The players have already seen that all three are good players.

“It’s no good doing it just on the training ground. Your top players like Fabricio Coloccini and Joey Barton know fine well it is about the Premier League.

“You want to see these players performing in the Premier League at their very best, hopefully we see that from Yohan and the new boys this year.

“You want to see what they’re going to do for us, and only time will tell.

“But at the moment they’re showing very well.”

The absence of Cabaye and Barton – both set to head for Holland for the reserve-team tour this week – means that Pardew has little choice but to experiment in his engine room.

There was already a big void left by the departure of Kevin Nolan who quit Tyneside for West Ham United in June.

And midfield availability was decimated even further by the ankle injury of Danny Guthrie on Friday night at Darlington which has wrecked his pre-season.

It means that Pardew will take a closer look at French youngster Mehdi Abeid while in the US, as well as young Slovenian Haris Vuckic.

United also still have Dan Gosling – who returned from a knee injury at Darlington – and Cheick Tiote, Alan Smith and Ryan Taylor in their ranks for the US games.

And Pardew is set to experiment further with a formation that includes Hatem Ben Arfa playing just off the front man, which worked well enough on Friday with Leon Best leading the line.

Best has been given a lifeline on the tour of the States and a chance to prove his worth ahead of the new season.

The striker was told he was surplus to requirements this summer and is available for transfer.

But the closer United get to transfer deadline day without capturing a striker, the more hope there is for Best, especially if he rediscovers the burst of form he found last term which featured six Premier League goals in nine starts.

Pardew said: “This is a chance for all of the players out here to catch the eye and force the issue – it’s a healthy situation.”

United boss Pardew will still work in tandem with the Toon top brass while out in the States in his search for a striker.

And while there was talk about bringing in Daniel Sturridge on loan from Chelsea over the weekend, this has played down by United sources at this stage.

Like most Premier League bosses, Pardew would love to add Sturridge to his ranks, but even a loan deal would mean a steep fee to go with his Stamford Bridge wages.

Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas wants to look at Sturridge in the Blues’ pre-season matches before making a decision and the striker played in the first half of Chelsea’s narrow win at Portsmouth on Saturday.

Sturridge now heads to Asia with Chelsea.

And he said recently: “My aim this season is to play regularly for Chelsea and get into the England side.”

Rumours going around that he has been denied a visa for the US. I wonder what he has done...

Big fan of Cat Stevens, apparently.

Rumours going around that he has been denied a visa for the US. I wonder what he has done...

Big fan of Cat Stevens, apparently.

Technical glitch on his Visa...

Someone mis-spelt his first name probably! Yoyan or Yohan!

Is it Cab-aye or Caba-yae?

I say hello you say.....

Bah.

Copa Cabana don't work then.

Yes it's Yohan!, Yohan Caba-ya

The hottest shot north of Hebburna

Football and passion were always the fashion

And with Yohan....we fell in love

Edited by Happy Face

Is it Cab-aye or Caba-yae?

I say hello you say.....

Bah.

Copa Cabana don't work then.

The hottest shot north of Hebburna

Football and passion were always the fashion

And with Yohan....we fell in love

;)

Giving Abeid and Vuckic some gametime with the first team could work in our favour actually.

If only another 12 or 15 players could have been refused access along with the 3 that were.

Daft tour to be going on in the first place.

Giving Abeid and Vuckic some gametime with the first team could work in our favour actually.

If only another 12 or 15 players could have been refused access along with the 3 that were.

Would imagine we're making money out of it, which is fair enough. Seems to have been the victim of some serious 'planning' mind.

Edited by alex

Sittin' in the Geordie' sun

I'll be sittin' when the games begun

Watching the strips roll in

And then I watch 'em stroll away again, yeah

I'm sittin' here watchin Cabaye

Watching as he leads the way

Ooo, I'm just sittin' here watchin Cabaye

Wastin' time

A kna, shite ;) (bored and feeding a baby)

Would imagine we're making money out of it, which is fair enough. Seems to have been the victim of some serious 'planning' mind.

Not sure how much we can be making if none of the games are even on telly.

All well and good for brand exposure (wouldn't be surprised if there's Sports Direct sponsors all over the shop) but I've heard we're doing summat like 10 flights in a fortnight. Mental way to prepare for the start of the season with a squad as thin as ours.

Admittedly my view doesn't contain a lot of analysis but I can't see us not embarking on it otherwsie (or at least the running costs of the squad etc. are being covered for the duration of it anyway).

Cabaye – who missed out on his visa due to a technicality believed to be caused by a disputed dental bill – linked up today with United’s reserve team for their tour of Holland.

• 3 weeks later...