It's Yohan Cabaye

Toonpack

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yohan Cabaye cannot wait to pull on the black and white Newcastle shirt after putting pen to paper at St. James' Park on a five-year deal.

The French international, aged 25, has arrived from Lille fresh on the back of helping his former employers and hometown club to the league and cup double.

Cabaye admitted it was hard to leave Lille, having come through the ranks at the Ligue 1 outfit, but is relishing the opportunity to play in the best league in the world, and in front of some of the best fans in the world at the "magnificent" St. James' Park.

The creative midfielder told nufc.co.uk in an exclusive interview: "I'm happy, I'm really happy. I've just seen the facilities and the magnificent stadium. The people are very welcoming so it's really great to be here.

"I want to adapt to the rhythm here, which is a lot quicker (than in France), and it is one of the best leagues in the world.

"I like being on the ball, playing with ball and making lots of passes. I am not a big dribbler, but I like unsettling the opposition with short or long passes. I like going for goal, but I am also a player who knows how to defend and make lots of effort to get the ball back.

"I am very excited for the season ahead, especially when I see the stadium and the facilities here. I am excited to start training and to meet my new teammates.

"I am really excited about discovering the Premier League, St. James' Park and all of Newcastle's fans, and hopefully this season will go as well as possible for the team and for me. I am really excited to wear this new shirt."

Comes across as quite a level headed yet confident kinda guy. Saying the right things.....very happy about this signing!

I hope we see a CM pairing of Tiote and Cabaye in our 1st game of th new season.

:lol:

Edited by Deano

Not being funny but how often do new signings not say the right things?

You are being funny mate. Your getting more and more alexified every day tecato.

Some say more than others, some say more encouraging things than others.

I like what he had to say.

You are being funny mate. Your getting more and more alexified every day tecato.

I hate it when people change their names........ Who were you before Deano?

Your best mate.....Tiotes Nutz :icon_lol:

Your best mate.....Tiotes Nutz :icon_lol:

Explains why your talking sense :lol:

Good signing. Haven't seen a lot of him other than YouTube clips but he must have a bit about him if he's playing for France. Good age and price too. 4 or 5 more like this combined with minimal outgoings and I'll be a lot more confident about the season ahead

NEWCASTLE new-boy Yohan Cabaye has revealed how fellow Toon target Charles N’Zogbia helped to convince him that a move to “special” St James’ Park was the way forward.

Cabaye officially became a Newcastle player yesterday, signing a five-year contract after United managed to broker a deal worth £4.5m for the France international midfielder.

It is a fantastic deal for United – and the attacking ace says he is itching to get started at Newcastle after a crash course in the history of the club.

He revealed how watching Newcastle’s 5-1 derby demolition of Sunderland on TV, after negotiations on the move had started, has got him excited about playing in front of a full-house at St James’ Park.

And it appears the influence of N’Zogbia – who is keen on a move back to Tyneside from Wigan – played a big part too.

“I spoke to Charles N’Zogbia and David Rozehnal before joining Newcastle. They both said it was a good choice to come to Newcastle,” he said.

“They said I would have a great time, especially with the fans.

“And those fans appear special. Before signing for Newcastle, I watched some videos on the internet, and particularly the game against Sunderland when Newcastle won 5-1.

“I could see there was a great atmosphere in the stadium, and I really want to see what it’s like to play at St James’ Park and in the Premier League.

“I’m very excited about playing at St James’ Park, now I hope I can adapt quickly to the Premier League.”

An attacking, box-to-box midfielder, he should fit in well at a club that cherishes its creative maestros.

But Cabaye – speaking through an interpreter – knows he will have a sizeable task to get himself ready for the physical cut and thrust of the Premier League.

His flying visit to Tyneside lasted just over 24 hours, but he was viewing property yesterday – a good sign that he is ready to settle down and make a success of his big move.

He said: “I hope I can excite the fans here with my football, and I would love to score for Newcastle and see the reaction of the supporters at St James’ Park.

“But first I must adapt to the football and the city, and get to know my team-mates.

“I also have to adapt to the style of play in England, as it’s very different to France. This is the first time I have moved from my home region, and I want to be ready for the new season.”

United have made N’Zogbia one of their prime targets but are happy to wait for developments with the Wigan wide-man.

He is rated at £12m, a price United would pay if they missed out on other targets.

They retain interest in French-based forwards Gervinho and Kevin Gameiro, but dispatches from the other side of the channel have not been positive on either over the last 48 hours.

Gameiro says he would prefer to play in Spain or at Paris Saint Germain, while Gervinho has emerged as a target for Tottenham too. Despite that, United continue to monitor both.

But Newcastle have stolen on a march on their Premier League rivals by nicking Cabaye.

He revealed: “There was talk of Liverpool and Arsenal, but Newcastle were the club who made the move for me, and I really like Alan Pardew’s strategy and how he told me he wants to play.

“I heard of other interest, but I didn’t hesitate for one second to join Newcastle because they have an ambitious project.”

123y3nr.jpg

If we're going for Charles we may as well go for the clean sweep and pick up Marvin Martin. Looked a canny player against Ukraine, seems to be highly rated as well.

Simon Bank, the most respected football journalist in Sweden (he's Spurs but I guess nobody's perfect), usually very knowledgeable when it comes to French football (he lives in France parts of the year) writes on his blog today that Cabaye is a good player and that he will come in handy for Newcastle this season. Also writes that he's a good lad. That's me convinced :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

I think we are all going to be very pleased with this guy and I get the impression that like Tiote, he will take to the prem like a duck to water.

Saw signs of him coming back to collect the ball and looking for incisive passes as well ( I think) as having a powerful shot on him. Also was not afraid to get stuck in with some crunching tackles.

Rob Lee esque perhaps????

'Bit presumptious to call him Rob Lee esque after a friendly against Darlington like. I'f be concerned if he didn't look a class above.

That's why I said possibly????

More in relation to the sort of player he looks like he is going to be tbf.

Hope so anyway.

He was superb on friday, always wanted the ball, only gave it away once i think, everything else he done was quality. Kept it simple at times, opened it up when needed, a few nice diagonal balls and a good strike on him.

Not sure if he is going to be a "deep lying playmaker" though, looking at his clips from when he was at lille he breaks forward quite a bit and gets into the box too.

If he was half the player Rob Lee was then i'd be very happy.

Cant wait to see him in the league....like its been said...i too think he will take the PL by storm.