Berbatov

Christmas Tree

NEWCASTLE are in the hunt to sign Dimitar Berbatov.

The Bulgarian striker wants out of Manchester United after his shock Champions League final snub.

And Toon boss Alan Pardew is ready to meet United's £7.5million valuation.

Pardew is in the market for a big-name striker after Andy Carroll was sold to Liverpool for £35m in January.

Berbatov, 30, won the golden boot this season along with Manchester City's Carlos Tevez after hitting 20 league goals.

But he did not even make the bench for Saturday's Euro decider against Barcelona.

Now he wants a club where he is regarded as the main man and not down the pecking order.

Berbatov, who cost United £30.75m in September 2008, has always liked Newcastle having idolised Toon legend Alan Shearer when he was a boy.

The former Tottenham star did not travel home with United after his Champions League final axing.

He did, however, turn up for the club's victory parade through Manchester yesterday to celebrate their 19th league title.

Newcastle, meanwhile, have landed French midfielder Yohan Cabaye from Lille for £4.3m.

Cabaye, 25, confirmed the switch to St James' Park after Toon triggered a release clause in his contract.

He will sign a four-year deal in the north-east after Newcastle beat the likes of Valencia, Aston Villa and Lyon to his services.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...l#ixzz1NsZfIk6i

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love him here! 7.5mil is a good price but wages would be a huge issue.

We could get 2 or 3 good years out of him and he could well really be the difference in what pushes us from mid table to euro places.

Quite simply we wouldn't pay the wages he'd be after.

I would also say that I'm not convinced he'd be a good signing for us. We've tried signing players from europes top clubs in the past and where has that got us? Kluivert, Owen, Butt and Smith have all came from such teams recently and Butt was comfortably the biggest success here out of all of them.

Im not saying I wouldnt get caught up in the excitement of it and I'm not saying Newcastle united shouldnt be aiming for top players but really, ones on a downward trajectory wont do us much good.

Even if we only get a couple of seasons out of him I'd love to see him come for that much.

But I think we'd get more. Never been reliant on pace. Just a great brain and footwork.

How much are his wages do you reckon?

Think he'd drop to 50k a week? 3 year deal?

Thats almost 8mil in wages and 7.5mil fee...15.5mil....is he worth that?

Mind you he would get us 15-20 goals a season and be great to watch in a black n white shirt.

It's the attitude that would concern me. The two most comparable signings we've made are Kluivert and Owen. Both of them massive names who'd achieved so much in their careers (Kluivert obviously more so than the scouse wanker) and neither of them having much interest in us and so put none of the required effort in.

Trophy signings, Trophy signings, hello, hello ;)

We all talk morality but our knickers drop at the mere sniff of a trophy signing.

£7.5m wasn't even a trophy signing in 1996.

;)

He'd be an awesome signing. Very unlikely though.

would have been likely before, under the people you despise. Funny as fuck you are now saying what I said for all that time, disagreed with me, and are now repeating it.

We could get 2 or 3 good years out of him and he could well really be the difference in what pushes us from mid table to euro places.

omg.

"Trophy signing!" ;)

omg.

"Trophy signing!" ;)

Hardly a trophy signing like. You old cunt.

omg.

"Trophy signing!" ;)

moving the goalposts are we ?

omg.

"Trophy signing!" ;)

moving the goalposts are we ?

Hows that? You old cunt.

i cant see us getten berbatov like unless he accepts a pay cut so whatever he got at man utd he should accept something less than that ashley wont pay over the odds in wages no way

We all talk morality but our knickers drop at the mere sniff of a trophy signing.

Feminism is alive and well!

Stop being so feminist.

Misogyny just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

Err...as much as it would be a spanner in the works I would love him here. Basically he's fucking class and you don't lose that overnight.

For £7m It would be ideal. Give him the number 9 for a couple of years!

However it's all clearly made up. ;)

Actually he's ex Spurs, NAILED ON!

Nailed on to being made up as a result of him not being in their Champions League team.

DEADMAN speaks the truth in here.

If we somehow were able to field a lineup with:

--------------Harper/Krul

Simpson--Taylor--Collo--Enrique

Barton----Tiote---Cabaye---Ben Arfa

---------Berbatov---Gervinho

I would be very confident of making the top 7. All huge ifs though, cause theres no chance of Gervinho or Berba coming ;)

If we somehow were able to field a lineup with:

--------------Harper/Krul

Simpson--Taylor--Collo--Enrique

Barton----Tiote---Cabaye---Ben Arfa

---------Berbatov---Gervinho

I would be very confident of making the top 7. All huge ifs though, cause theres no chance of Gervinho or Berba coming ;)

In this dream reality Berbatov with Gameiro I think would be a better fit up front. Gervinho could be in there as well but in a wider role, with Ben Arfa down the other side.