Sylvain Marveaux

Matty

Pardew seems to rate Obertan for some reason.....

Probably because he was the one player Pardew was allowed to pick.

Morale of the story is - Dont buy from Fergie ( Unless your name is Mourinho)

edit: Hat-wearing taxidriver beat me to it

Edited by Lake Bells tits

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish we could just flog him already, cut our losses. We could probably recuperate 50-75% of what we paid for him...

Gets on my tits every time I see that saucerhead warming up.

To think he kept Ben Arfa out of the team for 15 games last season.

We would probably be in the champions league this season if ben arfa had played those games :(

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Obertan has his uses, but I'd struggle to make a significant case for keeping him, long term.

His big asset is his pace - even if he does nothing all game, the other team know that he's pretty much the quickest player on the pitch and need to leave their full back fairly deep. In that sense, he's ideal to bring on late in the game where you want some fresh legs against a tired full back.

My favourite moment of his in black and white was when he gave Gareth Bale a 5 yard head start at home to Spurs last season...then caught him up and tackled him. Bale is quick, but Obertan uses his alien features to utilise warp speed.

Obertan has his uses, but I'd struggle to make a significant case for keeping him, long term.

His big asset is his pace - even if he does nothing all game, the other team know that he's pretty much the quickest player on the pitch and need to leave their full back fairly deep. In that sense, he's ideal to bring on late in the game where you want some fresh legs against a tired full back.

My favourite moment of his in black and white was when he gave Gareth Bale a 5 yard head start at home to Spurs last season...then caught him up and tackled him. Bale is quick, but Obertan uses his alien features to utilise warp speed.

He is more indecisive than two fags in a hot tub full of pork sausages though.

No use having pace if you cant decide going right or left.

Whats the point in having pace if you grind to a halt every time you have the ball?

He is more indecisive than two fags in a hot tub full of pork sausages though.

No use having pace if you cant decide going right or left.

Whats the point in having pace if you grind to a halt every time you have the ball?

Aye I know, I'm no fan of him, but I'm playing devil's advocate for a minute. Pardew isn't stupid, he knows what he's doing and continues to select Obertan, so he must see something in him.

Guest CabayeAye

I wish we could just flog him already, cut our losses. We could probably recuperate 50-75% of what we paid for him...

Gets on my tits every time I see that saucerhead warming up.

To think he kept Ben Arfa out of the team for 15 games last season.

We would probably be in the champions league this season if ben arfa had played those games :(

100% agree.

the only time obertan is quick is when he doesn't have the ball sadly,

when he gets the ball he's like a snail and he's easily catchable

Yep, baffling how people can stick up for him really. He is making more per week than most of us make in half a year, yet continues being useless. Pards have given him everything fergie didnt, 15 odd games as a starter. Fuck all to show for it and if anything he was getting WORSE.

Personally Im hoping we are looking to use Marveaux and ben arfa on each side supported by santon and a new RB.... Would make us Man United`esque as far as wing play is concerned, but with a stronger central mid.

Our next step forward is becoming lethal on the flanks as opposed to last year when all we did was "protect" and invite pressure.

WIth both Tiote and Anita?

As much industry as Jonas offers we need a defence who can hold their own without having to be babysat,

because he doesnt offer enough going forward.

Marveaux and Ben Arfa would cause havoc tieing up defenders and bringing the game further up the pitch.

Clichè but the best defence is a good offence.

The best defence is one that is protected, which is why Tiote is so crucial to us.

Jonas works his knackers off al over the pitch. When Ben Arfa has a tired spell and needs to recuperate for 90 seconds, Jonas is there, covering. He isn't restricted to playing out wide.

Ben Arfa and Marveaux are both risk-takers. You need a bit of risk-taking to create chances, but it can also mean the lads behind them have to work twice as hard covering for the times it doesn't quite work out.

Unless we were playing against a side who were particularly weak in centre midfield, I'd be hesitant to play HBA and Marveaux at the same time.

Guest CabayeAye

I prefer to see HBA taken out of the midfield battle and kept in an attacking role.

FWIW, I think Tiote is a brilliant DM who can both win and distribute the ball. However, I think good DMs aren't too hard to come by and it is probably the position on the pitch that is easiest to 'learn'. As long as a player is fit and committed, they can learn to put themselves about a bit, sweep up loose balls and get rid of it with a simple short ball. Ball playing midfielders like Cabaye are much more precious. The fact that Cabaye can also defend and join in the ball winning battle makes him priceless. He is a true 'complete' CM and the best that we have had since Rob Lee. Selling Cabaye would be a disaster IMO. It would rip the creative heart out of the team and we would lose most of our ability to play cutting passes that put out strikers in goal scoring positions.

I'm really happy with our midfield at the minute. Jonas adds much value as well and has really re-invented himself a grafter who also has the ability to turn defence into attack. Add our other decent midfielders to this (not Obertan, he is shit), and we have a very solid middle 3 or 4. If we picked up Debuchy, Carroll and a quality CB, we'd have a trophy winning squad. That is how good our team is ATM.

• 3 months later...

Great display from the lad last night and apparently playing in the number 10 role is his favourite position. Be great if this is the start of things to come from him as he does look a real class act on the ball. A few of those runs last night reminded me a bit of Beardsley.

Dont think I'll ever see it under Pardew but a front formation of .....

Tiote Cabaye

Marveaux

Ben Arfa Ba

Cisse

..... particularly against some weaker opposition would be a joy to behold!

Anyway, really pleased for the lad and that display will no doubt bring him on loads confidence wise.

He had a couple of great runs but his passing has got to improve loads and he disappears completely for long periods of the game, even though we were a man up yesterday.

Anyway it was a marked improvement at least.

Can't shoot and needs too much time on the ball, which Wigan were all too happy to give him as their defence was crap.

Showed signs that he won't be a forgotten man for us, but a long way off a starting role in the team.

I think its the best creative central midfield display we've seen all season.

Yeh he looked decent but he was given a lot of time & space. Hopefully he can kick on & be a success as he was highly rated before signing for us.

Nice to see us playing football again, Anita will thrive if we play like we did last night & I'm hoping he'll form a good partnership with Tiote while Cabaye is unavailable. Much better all round though I wasn't impressed with Ferguson or Sammy, but they'll have time & hopefully the right opportunities to develop - i.e 20 minutes in a winning team not the responsibility put onto them at Stoke.

I said yesterday that it might be the game for both Anita and Marveaux last night given the opposition's lack of a big midfield enforcer and their playing style. I do think if you tried playing them both in the middle against someone like Diame, he'd just steamroller them though!

Was nice to see that there is a player in there who might be able to properly contribute to our season when he gets his confidence back!