NFL Lockout

CleeToonFan

Absolutely bullshit this hasn't been sorted out yet. Players Union are just as bad as the owners tbh. They should give the players more money, but make the season 18 games, simple.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically Armchair. They're striking because the Players Union (Yes they have a union :|) and the owners couldn't agree on a collective bargaining agreement. At first I pitied the players because the owners do shit all over them (then again they get payed insane amounts of money as it is) but now it's just stupid for everyone involved. Yeah NBA is locked out too. You watch the MLB follow next year... good job the NCAA is college based and that will never lockout

I love it when you see their 'Managers' walking about all agitated with a puffed up jacket on with a baseball cap, wireless mic etc. What the fuck are they 'coaching?' :huh:

Baseball = Just hit the fucking ball.

Basketball = put it in the hoop

American Football = Get padded up to the hilt, put a crash helmet on, one bloke chuck a ball for another to catch, the rest of you just run in to each other.

American Sports was originally invented by Beer and hot dog vendors as it takes no effort by the spectators to walk away from the game to stuff your face.

Greedy cunts. How much do the players earn already?

More money should go to ex-players who are fucked from injuries or concussion. On that point, there's some really interesting articles about the concussions suffered and 40 year old ex players with the brains of 70year old alzheimer patients. Well worth a read.

More money should go to ex-players who are fucked from injuries or concussion. On that point, there's some really interesting articles about the concussions suffered and 40 year old ex players with the brains of 70year old alzheimer patients. Well worth a read.

I think that has something to do with it actually Barney, not fully sure on it. And Howmanheyman, to be fair American Football is the most tactical sport I know of, all sports have tactics, and its not like rugby, that's the least tactical sport ever, saying American Football is only people throwing it would be like discounting football tactics because its just kicking a ball

I think that has something to do with it actually Barney, not fully sure on it. And Howmanheyman, to be fair American Football is the most tactical sport I know of, all sports have tactics, and its not like rugby, that's the least tactical sport ever, saying American Football is only people throwing it would be like discounting football tactics because its just kicking a ball

:huh:

Each to their own, I suppose. Channel 4 started putting it on when the channel first started and in those days this country was obsessed with the US, even more than today if you can believe it. Anyway, it was the in thing so people watched it and after a while it slowly dawned on us that the sport was pure fucking gash. Well i thought it, anyway. I don't like rugby, but I'd sooner watch it than its US cousin, anyday.

Each to their own, I suppose. Channel 4 started putting it on when the channel first started and in those days this country was obsessed with the US, even more than today if you can believe it. Anyway, it was the in thing so people watched it and after a while it slowly dawned on us that the sport was pure fucking gash. Well i thought it, anyway. I don't like rugby, but I'd sooner watch it than its US cousin, anyday.

Then again 90000 people turn up each year at Wembley, Football is the worlds greatest sport, but American Football is a second, daylights in between, but the pure passion, skill and tactics involved are just awe-inspiring

Then again 90000 people turn up each year at Wembley, Football is the worlds greatest sport, but American Football is a second, daylights in between, but the pure passion, skill and tactics involved are just awe-inspiring

There's thousands turn up round the country to watch Take That. I'll say no more on it. You like it and we all like different things. We'll just have this chat, and after ten minutes both agree that I was right. ;)

There's thousands turn up round the country to watch Take That. I'll say no more on it. You like it and we all like different things. We'll just have this chat, and after ten minutes both agree that I was right. :D

I can accept a different opinion, but not someone who thinks they're Brian Clough ;)

There's thousands turn up round the country to watch Take That. I'll say no more on it. You like it and we all like different things. We'll just have this chat, and after ten minutes both agree that I was right. :D

I can accept a different opinion, but not someone who thinks they're Brian Clough ;)

Was nearly going to put in an aknowledgement to him when I put that. Most people, including you, would've got it, though. :slap:

Aye I've been hearing a bit about this. Sounds bad. Were they talking about doing away with some of the padding/helmets to try and discourage people from putting the massive hits on?

I remember when it first came to UK tv as Howman was saying and everyone went mad for the team jumpers . Had the Miami Dolphins one . I know as little about the sport now as i did then - could never get into it . It's like a John Aldridge penalty - all stop/start.

06-26-11-9469.jpg

I remember when it first came to UK tv as Howman was saying and everyone went mad for the team jumpers . Had the Miami Dolphins one . I know as little about the sport now as i did then - could never get into it . It's like a John Aldridge penalty - all stop/start.

06-26-11-9469.jpg

That's actually pretty smart! It's bigger than rugby nowadays amongst people my age, not that that's hard, but there is quite a buzz amongst those of us that don't have a "It's not British so I don't like it" mentality

American football is actually a very tactical game and a bit like cricket with all its rules and procedures. Either you get it or you don't (or can't be arsed to). If you understand the nuances then it makes a massive difference to the enjoyment.

The speed, aggression and athleticism of the players makes it interesting to watch. Plus there's razzle dazzle in the coverage. However the incessant stoppages and constant advertising makes a live game into a farce, unless you have the attention span of a gnat or you're into eating, drinking and wandering back and forth to the toilet every 5 minutes.

Skill?!?! They chuck the baal, some cunt catches it, the referee blows for a free kick then its the adverts again. Biggest load of wank in sport imo.

Aye I've been hearing a bit about this. Sounds bad. Were they talking about doing away with some of the padding/helmets to try and discourage people from putting the massive hits on?

I'm trying to find some of the excellent articles I read on it.

Here's one on Dave Duerson an ex-pro who's head was so fucked up from all the damage through his career, he shot himself. In his suicide note, he asked for his brain to be donated for examination.

There's plenty of good writing on the pressure on players to play through pain, due to pressure from family, coaches, fans and even commentators :

"A lot of these guys have gone through a lot of suffering," Ditka said. "You played the game, you had a concussion, and you went back in. That's how it was. If they showed you three fingers, and you saw two, it was good enough. You played the game."

If you don't play, there's always another guy on the bench waiting to take your spot. Here's a piece on the 'tough guy' attitude demanded.

Fuck off man. :huh: It's a pretty tactical game, there's like 15 calls just to get the ball back in play.

American Football's getting abit more popular over here, but it'll never be bigger then rugby. Gateshead Senators are full of failed rugby players, they can't keep up with the pace of the game, so they go play a game when they can get a rest over couple of minutes. If I had to stop for a rest that often I'd be ashamed of myself, honestly I would.

Fuck off man. :( It's a pretty tactical game, there's like 15 calls just to get the ball back in play.

American Football's getting abit more popular over here, but it'll never be bigger then rugby. Gateshead Senators are full of failed rugby players, they can't keep up with the pace of the game, so they go play a game when they can get a rest over couple of minutes. If I had to stop for a rest that often I'd be ashamed of myself, honestly I would.

It's not a rest, it's so they can decide which play to call. I hate rugby. For one fact, rugby fans are so rare that they are the hipsters of the sporting world. Whenever I come across a rugby fan "You like football, it's for puffs, all us real men like and play rugby". I don't give a shit how "hard" you want to be, your sports shit to watch, it's not tactical and theres a reason the Rugby leagues over here aren't cared about. Then they automatically think they're better than you because of their "manly" sport that's bordering on homoerotic. Rugby may be "pretty" tactical, but it's still the least tactical sport i've ever seen. I know tens of NFL fans my age. I know 1 real rugby fan, and that's rugby union too, which is the least tactical form of rugby.