Shola Ameobi

LeazesMag

Less than 1% of the population, then.

That's just hard core bigots. You can add a sizeable chunk of Yorkshire's population to that for starters. And so on.

Apparently half a million people voted for the BNP in the 2010 election. That's the ones who could be bothered to vote.

1.9% of those that voted or 0.0089% of the total population.

In Australia, where voting is compulsory, their Right Wing party (the FFP) got around 2% of the vote, or 2% of the total population.

So about 1% of the population voted for them? It's hardly a massive indication of bigotry.

I'm not suggesting that all British people are bigots though...I'm questioning whether we have the moral high ground. Maybe racism is more overt in Australia, I don't know; I've only been to Sydney and Melbourne a handful of times but I didn't hear any racism at all. I've never been anywhere else in Australia so I couldn't comment. However I've heard plenty of racism in places as diverse as Newcastle, Wales, Reading and London.....although it's tended to be from older people (40+) and in a range of different contexts. Whether that means things are improving or that younger people are more guarded or just more educated, I don't know...

As it happens the worst racism I ever heard was from a drunk Aussie woman at a restaurant here in NZ. She was ejected with a toe up her arse....and this is the land of casual racism, so it gives you an idea how bad she was.

1.9% of those that voted or 0.0089% of the total population.

In Australia, where voting is compulsory, their Right Wing party (the FFP) got around 2% of the vote, or 2% of the total population. But then the turn out in the UK is risible.

The voter turn out in the UK is risible....isn't it something like less than half of the population? I mention it merely as an indication that quite a lot of people in the UK are probably quite racist....half a million people is a lot in my book and that's just those who voted for the idiotic racist party....I'm sure you could add a fair few Tories/little Englanders/I don't eat foreign muck etc in there as well. I'm not expecting it's something you can prove statistically.

FWIW my impression of Aussies is that they genuinely believe it's the greatest place on earth. Which is surprising considering most of it is desert and the parts that are inhabitable are infested with lethal fauna.

:lol:

Where I'm going? My first post in this conversation was to say Australians were like Scousers, in that you are offended by everything and ashamed by nothing. And your responses thus far have backed that up.

J69 said that his experiences of Australia are not of the cultural melting pot you describe, but of a culture rooted about 30yrs in the past. Your response was "Yeah but whatabout".

Also when I said that Britain has a much better stance on racism than a lot of countries you dismiss it as if that's not something to be proud of, despite admitting that racism and bigotry are bad. It's just weird Ken, shouldn't Brits be proud that we're not stuck in the 80s?

Now you're saying that because there are some racists and bigots in Britain we can't say anything about racism? Grow up man. :lol:

I'm offended by the way you think Brits are happy go-lucky and are open to everything and dance around a camp fire holding hands like you try and make out.

Nothing to do with what you or anyone else thinks of Australians you fuckwit. :lol:

Are you really that dense with your opinions? Or do you not agree racism exists in all countries including yours? Let me answer that for you, because I know you won't. Racism exists in Britain. It is rampant. It is not a one-off. Look at the fuckwits that attend the lower leagues of your football conferences. Look at your lower divisions. Look at your rags. Look at the most recent data on prejudice in Britain. Take off those shitty little rose coloured glasses. Get into the real world. Racism exists everywhere. It is alive and well. It won't go away.

Edited by Ken

I'm offended by the way you think Brits are happy go-lucky and are open to everything and dance around a camp fire holding hands like you try and make out.

Nothing to do with what you or anyone else thinks of Australians you fuckwit. :lol:

Are you really that dense with your opinions? Or do you not agree racism exists in all countries including yours? Let me answer that for you, because I know you won't. Racism exists in Britain. It is rampant. It is not a one-off. Look at the fuckwits that attend the lower leagues of your football conferences. Look at your lower divisions. Look at your rags. Look at the most recent data on prejudice in Britain. Take off those shitty little rose coloured glasses. Get into the real world. Racism exists everywhere. It is alive and well. It won't go away.

:lol:

Such a scouse response.

The voter turn out in the UK is risible....isn't it something like less than half of the population? I mention it merely as an indication that quite a lot of people in the UK are probably quite racist....half a million people is a lot in my book and that's just those who voted for the idiotic racist party....I'm sure you could add a fair few Tories/little Englanders/I don't eat foreign muck etc in there as well. I'm not expecting it's something you can prove statistically.

Around 65% or so iirc. You also have to bear in mind that those more likely to vote and to vote BNP are older voters with out of date mindsets. Of course racism still exists but for my money it isn't a major problem in the UK. I've never been to Oz so can't speak for the situation there.