Newcastle v Arsenal Sat 13th August Kick Off 5.30pm

Christmas Tree

Cabaye: Looks like Emre Version 2, and like the little Turk looks more suited to Serie A football. Pretty on the ball, but provides little in the way of incisive/creative drive through the middle, a role player to have when surrounded with superior & natural attackers. As it stands right now, with a pairing of Tiote & Cabaye, our central midfield is lacking defensive & attacking balance. I'd start Gosling (who would at least provide more drive, more of an attacking mindset) ahead of him, especially at home.

He's had one match in the premier league and yet you've already written him off? Gosling's only had 20 odd league appearances in 3 seasons, the vast majority of which have been with Everton. He's also missed an entire season injured. Not sure why he's considered a superior option to someone who was a first teamer with Lyon?

In the context of what is expected of him, as a direct compliment to the defensive steel Tiote provides (ie. An attack-minded creator through the middle corridor in open play, to provide fluency in attacking half, otherwise too much is expected from HBA: a factor used by some when defending Nolan's sale for the overall good of the team, highlighting the latter's weakness' to balance out what he actually brought to the team as an instinctive goal sneak inside the box) in open play............ yes i have written him off.

He looks like the atypical role player in midfield (a serviceable jack of all trades, but overall a master of nothing) and in France has been surrounded by a steady supply of attacking talent, a bloke who just happened to have a release clause in his contract. From 'role player' to being the 'main man, to provide drive between the defensive & attacking thirds' here, at least in the engine room'. It's a big step-up, both in responsibility & ability. I don't see enough of the mindset (or forward drive) required to release some the pressure that will no doubt be humped on HBA's fragile frame, as opposition managers and their respective outfield units will see little need to shelter their rearguard with a balanced sideline-to-sideline defensive shape.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far too timid as a home team on first game of season.

Players just werent pumped up at start of game (apart from an orange ST giving a clenched fist to Ggate n Leazes. Pardew spent most game stood arms folded as the uninspirational figure on side.

Atmosphere poor too - nothing much to fire it.

Colo was fantastic but wish he'd cajole n talk more on field.

Best has to start ahead of Ameobi (for effort and attitude alone tbh) wants to be embarrassed him. A complete fuckin hoax.

Humbolt Squid fastest player seen in while.

Maybe game plan was to be defensive yday (as opposed to wotsisface the manager saying we'll be more attacking) but can't help think if that was a stoked team rather than a sulky, transitional Arsenal we could easily have been tonked.

Players didn't seem too happy going off. Only barton half bothered to acknowledge Leazes. Jonas in particular was pretty animated.

This Charming Man first post-match tune too which was a canny touch.

That led nicely into Wenger's post match disgrace on motd "why must we always come up here and ave a player sent off because of joey barton"

Hea - Arsene - lick the tip why don'tcha

I and I think most around us in the Leazes were quite happy overall with the game.

As has been said, Coloccini :lol: was outstanding and in general we defended very well. Naturally our lot will have gone into this game with the scars of the 4-0 first half raping we suffered in the last match against them, so understandably a cautious approach was taken.

Think we would have played better with one up front and Gosling etc in.

Shola was his usual disgraceful and lazy self imo and I just hope we can get a number 9 in sharpish.

Cabaye for me ran his socks off until the pace caught up with him and he picked out some lovely through balls that just needed a touch heavier pass and they would have been spot on.

Certainly liked the first glimpse of Obertan.

Made the mistake of attending the match in an england rugby shirt. (That someone bought me and while I have no interest in rugby, its very nice and warm).

Every fucker kept coming up and asking me what the score was :lol:

Had no idea and obviously felt like a right dick.

Havent seen the attendance yet but it looked very empty in the 1892 areas and particularly the back of the leazes. Went up the steps to the toilets at half time only to be told that that section was closed due to a lack of ticket sales.

Pubs visited.....Grey Horse, Forth, Strawberry and Shearers followed by a delicious post match chinese at the King Neptune.

What did you have?

Bottle of Bud, Becks Vier, Pint IPA, Carling? Emerald Banquet:

Missed out a couple of bottles inside the ground and a lemonade at Sleepers after getting off the metro.

Glass of milk before bed.

:lol:

Cabaye: Looks like Emre Version 2, and like the little Turk looks more suited to Serie A football. Pretty on the ball, but provides little in the way of incisive/creative drive through the middle, a role player to have when surrounded with superior & natural attackers. As it stands right now, with a pairing of Tiote & Cabaye, our central midfield is lacking defensive & attacking balance. I'd start Gosling (who would at least provide more drive, more of an attacking mindset) ahead of him, especially at home.

He's had one match in the premier league and yet you've already written him off? Gosling's only had 20 odd league appearances in 3 seasons, the vast majority of which have been with Everton. He's also missed an entire season injured. Not sure why he's considered a superior option to someone who was a first teamer with Lyon?

In the context of what is expected of him, as a direct compliment to the defensive steel Tiote provides (ie. An attack-minded creator through the middle corridor in open play, to provide fluency in attacking half, otherwise too much is expected from HBA: a factor used by some when defending Nolan's sale for the overall good of the team, highlighting the latter's weakness' to balance out what he actually brought to the team as an instinctive goal sneak inside the box) in open play............ yes i have written him off.

He looks like the atypical role player in midfield (a serviceable jack of all trades, but overall a master of nothing) and in France has been surrounded by a steady supply of attacking talent, a bloke who just happened to have a release clause in his contract. From 'role player' to being the 'main man, to provide drive between the defensive & attacking thirds' here, at least in the engine room'. It's a big step-up, both in responsibility & ability. I don't see enough of the mindset (or forward drive) required to release some the pressure that will no doubt be humped on HBA's fragile frame, as opposition managers and their respective outfield units will see little need to shelter their rearguard with a balanced sideline-to-sideline defensive shape.

Are you serious?

He's had one game.

You can dress your posts up in waffle all you want, but you look more than a little foolish coming to such a conclusion after 80 minutes of first team football.

Strange how you come to such a strong judgement of a new player in a new league yet make no mention of how Ameobi should still be a sub at best based on yesterday, or how Ryan Taylor isn't close to being adequate cover at left back.

Edited by Tecato

Wank game, no courage, heart, passion anything. Cabaye was shite, and Tiote played like Fumaca, his passing was totally shite. As for Shola, he's a lazy fuckin useless cunt, Obertan put more effort in half a game than he has in 11 years. We'll be shite at home this season cos the crowd is gone, its completely gone atmosphere is dead forever.

Pubs visited.....Grey Horse, Forth, Strawberry and Shearers followed by a delicious post match chinese at the King Neptune.

What did you have?

Bottle of Bud, Becks Vier, Pint IPA, Carling? Emerald Banquet:

Missed out a couple of bottles inside the ground and a lemonade at Sleepers after getting off the metro.

Glass of milk before bed.

That's a lot of gassy drinks

Just watched the Joey "falling over" incident again.. nice to see Saylor playing the role of Judge and Jury.. I think he managed to do more running during those few minutes than I have seen him do for a while.. went to see the ref.. then Joey.. then the linesman and then back to the ref again.

I do like him in the team..

I and I think most around us in the Leazes were quite happy overall with the game.

As has been said, Coloccini :lol: was outstanding and in general we defended very well. Naturally our lot will have gone into this game with the scars of the 4-0 first half raping we suffered in the last match against them, so understandably a cautious approach was taken.

Think we would have played better with one up front and Gosling etc in.

Shola was his usual disgraceful and lazy self imo and I just hope we can get a number 9 in sharpish.

Cabaye for me ran his socks off until the pace caught up with him and he picked out some lovely through balls that just needed a touch heavier pass and they would have been spot on.

Certainly liked the first glimpse of Obertan.

Jah Rastafari

Just watched the Joey "falling over" incident again.. nice to see Saylor playing the role of Judge and Jury.. I think he managed to do more running during those few minutes than I have seen him do for a while.. went to see the ref.. then Joey.. then the linesman and then back to the ref again.

I do like him in the team..

Watched the replay a few times and Steven really does put in a top-class effort there, I loved it. :lol:

Im sure the Arsenal players wanted to smack him too.

Edited by nortoon

One Love

Just watching Hold The Back Page (think can dload audio podcast off main site)

If it wasn't for Shaun Custis on there Barton would've been torn to bits r.e. yesterday. Tbf some canny points raised way he's going on with all his Twittering. Their jist being he's making himself as The Justice Minister but the hypocrisy therein. Yarks Predator up for his 'dive' yet went down like Big Daddy on ice.

Also his personal beef with Shearer doesn't give him any more credibility that he obviously craves. It's all entertaining obviously, but think for his own sake he does need to wind his neck in a bit. He won't though.

They labelled him a 'professional agent provocateur' and 'an upmarket robbie savage'

He's rapidly becoming a cartoon, a charicature of himself which can only work against him in terms of his purported motives for truth, justice and inserting gladioli into Morrisey's anus or whatever.

Why did any of you expect any better than the shite Cabaye served up? Did you really believe the Puppet's bullshit? Cabaye was a dead ordinary player in the crap French league. Do some homework, read the forums from over there. His transfer was all about lining pockets such as those of that crook Carr and who knows who else.

Why did any of you expect any better than the shite Cabaye served up? Did you really believe the Puppet's bullshit? Cabaye was a dead ordinary player in the crap French league. Do some homework, read the forums from over there. His transfer was all about lining pockets such as those of that crook Carr and who knows who else.

You on the wind-up?

I'd rather base my expectations on the fact he can get a game for one of the best international teams in the world, rather than someone who didn't blink an eyelid when I said Paul Sweeney was class. He was poor yesterday though, but he'll take time to settle.

I'd rather base my expectations on the fact he can get a game for one of the best international teams in the world, rather than someone who didn't blink an eyelid when I said Paul Sweeney was class. He was poor yesterday though, but he'll take time to settle.