Newcastle v Arsenal Sat 13th August Kick Off 5.30pm

Christmas Tree

Just got back sorted in London after going up to Newcastle for the game. Here are my thoughts.

As soon as I walked out on to the terraces, I was awestruck. It was honestly too much for me, had to sit down, and was basically speechless and in a haze for 2 minutes. Really incredible. I've never seen anything like it! The atmosphere at American sports pales in comparison to what was on show at St. James'.

The first half was quite dull, with not much of it standing out in my mind. Was a bit embarrassing to hear the Arsenal fans outsinging ours, but I thought the second half the Newcastle support was much more vocal. The game as a whole was fairly dreary, but the Barton incident and the atmosphere of the whole thing made up for it in spades.

Krul - didn't really have much to do, but was capable when called upon

Simpson - mediocre

Taylor and Collo - lumping together here, as I thought their work was excellent. They definitely had a great game, but it was hard to tell whether they had an amazing game, or whether some of that was due to the poor quality of Arsenal's final ball. That said, ColloTaylor were pretty much always the first man to any balls in the box, which was quite good.

Raylor - was very lucky he didn't lose the game for us. Had some shocking moments, and when Walcott came on, I thought that would be it. To be fair though, did a decent enough job given he's shit and not a left back.

Jonas - did his usually thing, nowt special

Tiote - got a bit scared when he went down at the end of the 2nd half, especially as pardew had used all 3 subs. had a decent game though overall

Cabaye - played fairly well, and almost played a very nice through ball to Obertan. Definitely more to come from him, and I'm very excited to see what more he can do.

Barton - was very pleased with his game, bar his god awful free kicks and corners. It really his crucial he stays in the side imo, no one else on the pitch that day looked like they had the ability to pick the team up by their bootstraps and drag them forward.

Shola - shite.

Ba - mediocre, but didn't really get any service all game.

Obertan - looked very good the first 10 minutes when he was on, especially when he chased down that ball way on the left hand side. Again, more to come from him as well I think.

I would've liked to have seen Sammy Ameobi on instead of Lovenkrands, I think he would've offerend more. Also, I thought it was pretty fucking useless giving the ball every goal kick. Krul would boot it up to Shola who would more often than not, lose the header, and even if he had won it, there was no one near him to go and run after the ball. And playing with Shola as lone-striker in the second half was a shocking indicator of what could be if we dont get another striker in. Sort it out Pards.

But all in all, and incredible experience, and you're all right -- you can't comment nearly as well on the games just from watching it on the telly. You have to be there day in and day out, seeing it live, and dealing with the fans. The rest just isn't the same.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But all in all, and incredible experience, and you're all right -- you can't comment nearly as well on the games just from watching it on the telly. You have to be there day in and day out, seeing it live, and dealing with the fans. The rest just isn't the same.

Nice summary.

Re the point above, I'm thinking of getting my 70 year old neighbour in to tell me to sit down whenever I jump up. That'll make it more like Stevie's matchday experience. ;)

I wouldn't bank on us signing pieters before the window shuts or any other fucker for that matter.

Expect Pardoo to say something like "We've moved heaven and earth to get someone in but it's not to be. Still, I've been delighted with Ryan there and he's made the position his own. I know he won't let anyone down, so I'm not disappointed with that."

I wouldn't bank on us signing pieters before the window shuts or any other fucker for that matter.

Based on what exactly?

Expect Pardoo to say something like "We've moved heaven and earth to get someone in but it's not to be. Still, I've been delighted with Ryan there and he's made the position his own. I know he won't let anyone down, so I'm not disappointed with that."

I have faith that we will get Pieters and i reckon 1 or 3 loan deals if we cant secure a striker permanently. Sturridge on loan would be ideal, and looking all the more likely that he will leave Chelsea on loan again.

I've been told that Barton has told Pulis he will make a decision whether to go to Stoke after the mackem game. Obviously waiting to see if he can trust Pardews word on getting a LB and ST before next weekend.

After Saturday, the possibility of that scares me.

Based on what exactly?

I have faith that we will get Pieters and i reckon 1 or 3 loan deals if we cant secure a striker permanently. Sturridge on loan would be ideal, and looking all the more likely that he will leave Chelsea on loan again.

I've been told that Barton has told Pulis he will make a decision whether to go to Stoke after the mackem game. Obviously waiting to see if he can trust Pardews word on getting a LB and ST before next weekend.

Since when have you been ITK Deano?

Based on what exactly?

Friend of a friend knows Rob Lee, Beardsley and Alan Thompson and has played golf with JB on few occasions. I just get txts now and then, some are right, some are wrong.

Dont claim to be itk just passing on what i've been told.

ok? ;)

Friend of a friend knows Rob Lee, Beardsley and Alan Thompson and has played golf with JB on few occasions. I just get txts now and then, some are right, some are wrong.

ok? ;)

Fair enough but be right and don't just get our hopes up ;)

Why did any of you expect any better than the shite Cabaye served up? Did you really believe the Puppet's bullshit? Cabaye was a dead ordinary player in the crap French league. Do some homework, read the forums from over there. His transfer was all about lining pockets such as those of that crook Carr and who knows who else.

I'd rather base my expectations on the fact he can get a game for one of the best international teams in the world, rather than someone who didn't blink an eyelid when I said Paul Sweeney was class. He was poor yesterday though, but he'll take time to settle.

To be fair the French (for the next couple of years at least) are a team in transition, due to the WC fallout and a period of generational change. value of a French cap, apart from the emerging top-tier talent, has somewhat diminished now. Standouts coming through the ranks, like Eden Hazard and you can throw HBA into the mix if the latter is able regain his durability, swagger/confidence & form, will become fixtures in that side. But some 'dead ordinary' (to borrow another poster's tagline) types, one who happened to accompanied by two top-drawer creative talents in Hazard & Gervinho - with Sow as a late bloomer - in a championship winning outfit in a weak top-to-bottom league, will earn a few token caps as well along the way as well, as management continues to tinker & experiment with the 1st team.

Cabaye's performance - and it's more to do with what is needed to compliment Tiote given that we virtually having nothing in the form of hold-up play from our frontmen (rendering the direct stuff/delivery from the back useless) and therefore more ball-carry/attacking drive is needed through the middle as a means glueing everything together from end-to-end though middle corridor - basically confirms a few things i have heard about him. This relates particularly to his largely anonymous role in a Lille outfit which pissed all over a weak league, largely thanks to the attacking chemistry in the final third of the park ie. the trio mentioned in the previous paragraph, who provided major headaches for just about everybody in France last year.

Based on what exactly?

ok? ;)

Wasn't it you who said a mate from Holland told you Pieters was signing?

Why did any of you expect any better than the shite Cabaye served up? Did you really believe the Puppet's bullshit? Cabaye was a dead ordinary player in the crap French league. Do some homework, read the forums from over there. His transfer was all about lining pockets such as those of that crook Carr and who knows who else.

I'd rather base my expectations on the fact he can get a game for one of the best international teams in the world, rather than someone who didn't blink an eyelid when I said Paul Sweeney was class. He was poor yesterday though, but he'll take time to settle.

To be fair the French (for the next couple of years at least) are a team in transition, due to the WC fallout and a period of generational change. value of a French cap, apart from the emerging top-tier talent, has somewhat diminished now. Standouts coming through the ranks, like Eden Hazard and you can throw HBA into the mix if the latter is able regain his durability, swagger/confidence & form, will become fixtures in that side. But some 'dead ordinary' (to borrow another poster's tagline) types, one who happened to accompanied by two top-drawer creative talents in Hazard & Gervinho - with Sow as a late bloomer - in a championship winning outfit in a weak top-to-bottom league, will earn a few token caps as well along the way as well, as management continues to tinker & experiment with the 1st team.

Cabaye's performance - and it's more to do with what is needed to compliment Tiote given that we virtually having nothing in the form of hold-up play from our frontmen (rendering the direct stuff/delivery from the back useless) and therefore more ball-carry/attacking drive is needed through the middle as a means glueing everything together from end-to-end though middle corridor - basically confirms a few things i have heard about him. This relates particularly to his largely anonymous role in a Lille outfit which pissed all over a weak league, largely thanks to the attacking chemistry in the final third of the park ie. the trio mentioned in the previous paragraph, who provided major headaches for just about everybody in France last year.

If you actually knew much about Ligue 1/the French national team, you would at the very least be aware that Hazard is Belgian and has 20 caps for his country. Not France.

And again - you saw one match. You've written him off playing for us after one match. On top of that, one moment you're making it that you've seen a lot of Lille and then the next you're telling us that "I've heard a few things about him".

What's your obsession with overly long sentences anyway?

Edited by Tecato

Hazard is absolutely class, best young player in France by a mile, but he's not french he's Belgian.

Disagree with your opinions on the FNT, they're a different proposition under Blanc, and have been really good lately 4-1 win in Ukraine, 2-0 win here deservedly so too, decent ECQ form, they're back I think France.

If you actually knew much about Ligue 1/the French national team, you would at the very least be aware that Hazard is Belgian and has 20 caps for his country. Not France.

And again - you saw one match. You've written him off playing for us after one match. On top of that, one moment you're making it that you've seen a lot of Lille and then the next you're telling us that "I've heard a few things about him".

On the basis of that game, i saw parts of his repertoire that were very comparable to Emre ie. neat & tidy on the ball (pretty was my original wording) but is lacking an incisive edge going forward.

The central midfield balance has Parker/Emre feel about it. Tiote, obviously an infinitely better version than Parker the provider of defensive steel (with the efficient link-play to match, which was astray off on Sat), with Cabaye being saddled with the responsibility of unlocking defense lines through the middle of the park, during second phase play. Emre didn't really have the necessary forward drive, that aforementioned incisiveness going forward hence the balance (as central midfield units go) wasn't right. One doesn't need that long a timeframe to measure up the units' collective mix attributes (especially if there are only two to measure up), to get a feel as to how a unit stacks against previous versions, for better or worse.

I'll repeat what i said earlier, his lack of 'forward drive' fits into what i know of his style of play was in France, what his role was in a Lille outfit that killed teams on the back of the attacking exploits of three players.

It may no longer be the case now, due to the influx of Arab money at PSG as they have the financial means to build a strong goal-to-goal team quickly, but it's always been possible snare a league title (a bolter-from-the-blue of sorts) in France with an otherwise workmanlike outfield sprinkled with less than a handful of attackers which are a cut above what's on offer throughout the rest of the league. One doesn't have to watch hours of satellite sport coverage, that being the French 1st div, to know this. It's a characteristic of the league, and Lyon have done well to stonewall that trend, in recent years. Lille fit into that surprise packet category. It's easy for a role-player type to have their reputation enhanced, because they were simply part of a league winning outfit, despite not being a vital cog in that team's title winning play in a bolt-from-the-blue type of campaign.

BTW find a reference, and quote it, where i have insinuated that i'm some sort of Lille Football devotee. The answer is you won't. From what I've seen so far, he looks like an ok role-player type (when combined with what I've heard & read about him), but not somebody who is capable of carrying the team's attacking drive through the middle of the park, to provide balance and a central threat thus alleviating the pressure & attention HBA will attract in the advanced attacking areas. I've seen similarly zip-eyed footballers, even smaller but with equal technical prowess on the ball, footballers from Japan & Sth Korea provide more attacking intent & grunt through the middle of the park.

Anyway two can play at your game. Why don't you take a trip back to dreamland, on your often ridden high-horse, where you can once again & conveniently cast off an opinion in the guise of a 'hypothetical question'. Something once again along the lines of, or that envisions a better performing club without Dekka as Ashley's 2nd-in-charge. Maybe you should simply revert to type, and pop up with a few more Jesus Wepts, and take a few more pop-shot at those assumption making Mystic Megs out there who have based their deserved level of criticism, and accompanying level of cynicism where the current regime's running of the club is concerned, based on four years of devaluation of the club's football brand.

On the basis of that game, i saw parts of his repertoire that were very comparable to Emre ie. neat & tidy on the ball (pretty was my original wording) but is lacking an incisive edge going forward.

The central midfield balance has Parker/Emre feel about it. Tiote, obviously an infinitely better version than Parker the provider of defensive steel (with the efficient link-play to match, which was astray off on Sat), with Cabaye being saddled with the responsibility of unlocking defense lines through the middle of the park, during second phase play. Emre didn't really have the necessary forward drive, that aforementioned incisiveness going forward hence the balance (as central midfield units go) wasn't right. One doesn't need that long a timeframe to measure up the units' collective mix attributes (especially if there are only two to measure up), to get a feel as to how a unit stacks against previous versions, for better or worse.

I'll repeat what i said earlier, his lack of 'forward drive' fits into what i know of his style of play was in France, what his role was in a Lille outfit that killed teams on the back of the attacking exploits of three players.

It may no longer be the case now, due to the influx of Arab money at PSG as they have the financial means to build a strong goal-to-goal team quickly, but it's always been possible snare a league title (a bolter-from-the-blue of sorts) in France with an otherwise workmanlike outfield sprinkled with less than a handful of attackers which are a cut above what's on offer throughout the rest of the league. One doesn't have to watch hours of satellite sport coverage, that being the French 1st div, to know this. It's a characteristic of the league, and Lyon have done well to stonewall that trend, in recent years. Lille fit into that surprise packet category. It's easy for a role-player type to have their reputation enhanced, because they were simply part of a league winning outfit, despite not being a vital cog in that team's title winning play in a bolt-from-the-blue type of campaign.

BTW find a reference, and quote it, where i have insinuated that i'm some sort of Lille Football devotee. The answer is you won't. From what I've seen so far, he looks like an ok role-player type (when combined with what I've heard & read about him), but not somebody who is capable of carrying the team's attacking drive through the middle of the park, to provide balance and a central threat thus alleviating the pressure & attention HBA will attract in the advanced attacking areas. I've seen similarly zip-eyed footballers, even smaller but with equal technical prowess on the ball, footballers from Japan & Sth Korea provide more attacking intent & grunt through the middle of the park.

Anyway two can play at your game. Why don't you take a trip back to dreamland, on your often ridden high-horse, where you can once again & conveniently cast off an opinion in the guise of a 'hypothetical question'. Something once again along the lines of, or that envisions a better performing club without Dekka as Ashley's 2nd-in-charge. Maybe you should simply revert to type, and pop up with a few more Jesus Wepts, and take a few more pop-shot at those assumption making Mystic Megs out there who have based their deserved level of criticism, and accompanying level of cynicism where the current regime's running of the club is concerned, based on four years of devaluation of the club's football brand.

Woosh. Someone's had their wheatabix.

Pretty post with pretty words but your opinion on Cabaye is also pretty premature.

Cabaye will be our midfield maestro once adapted.

your opinion on Cabaye is also pretty premature.

Cabaye will be our midfield maestro once adapted.

You're doing it on purpose now surely?

So you do have a brain! Just a personality that's missing then....