Leon Best

Christmas Tree

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 in 18 but 10 from the bench in the league (according to nufc.com)

Inconsequential I suppose, he's doing the business so I won't get too saturated in stats as I normally do when I don't know what I'm talking about :lol:

I think his biggest problem was coming to the club when he did. Nobody was that impressed with his signing at the time, Carroll was doing ok, as was Shola. People assumed he'd be 3rd or 4th choice.

He's obviously fundamentally gash, but he has a habit of being in the right place at the right time, and we don't seem to have anyone else capable of doing that. And that's a perfectly legitimate skill for a striker. So good on him.

He's obviously fundamentally gash, but he has a habit of being in the right place at the right time, and we don't seem to have anyone else capable of doing that. And that's a perfectly legitimate skill for a striker. So good on him.

Bit of a strange post that. You start by calling him fundamentally gash, then describe one of the fundamental skills all good strikers possess, and then praise him for having said fundamental ability.

Bit of a strange post that. You start by calling him fundamentally gash, then describe one of the fundamental skills all good strikers possess, and then praise him for having said fundamental ability.

It's almost like I was mildly exaggerating both sides of the argument because the internet doesn't really matter.

He's converting regulation chances inside the box, something the hit & miss Martins never really demonstrated. For that you have to take your hat off. Players like Martins (when chances like that are presented) stunt momentum & morale on the pitch, and are 'manager killers'.

His movement in the box is fine ie. feeding off defenders' tendancy to read play & react, and subsequently drop a marker. Blokes like Gary.L, are masters at that. He has that fundamental, or strikers' intangible, in his locker.

I'd still have Sammi ahead of him, he's at the top my pecking order - in front of them all. The younger Ameobi offers more gamebreaking capability in open play, and offers more to the team in the middle third of the pitch ie. movement & link-up play, drawing defenders out of position due to respect. He looks a naturally gifted and technically adept footballer, an exciting prospect. Although the figure will be nowhere near as high, just like Carroll (asset-wise) his ceiling of improvement/potential makes for pure profit (like Carroll).

But in a subs role, in the last twenty mins, he/Best has some currency. It's a bit more difficult for a defense to clear their line late on. Tired legs, mental fatigue, reaction times (to a loose ball) aren't as sharp - scrappy chances are there for the taking. Given our current options, in the wake of Nolan's departure, there's arguably none better (an opportunist in the box) in that sort of situation.

Edited by Year Zero

I wonder if Sammy is getting more credit than he is entitled to so far, on the similar basis to Nile Ranger at times last year when it was assumed he was better than those before him precisely because he was not playing enough to show that he was not the answer. Not sure one way or the other, but certainly he has considerably more pace and attitude than his brother - hardly a ringing endorsement though

He is currently our best striker and most likely to score so fair play to him for that. But tbh all that does is make me cringe.

Whether I'm at the match or in a bar watching it on the telly all I hear from everyone nearby is how piss poor best is. The fact that he then scores a goal (most likely on the follow up after piss poor first attempt) doesn't change how bad the rest of his game is. We didn't win on Saturday primarily because of our lack of quality up front and Best is a major part of that.

I'm happy that he's scoring at the minute but personally I think he's getting a large slice of luck which I really don't see continuing and very shortly those of you who are coming around to him will be back to realising how bad he really is.

I'll be happy to eat my words if he proves me wrong though.

He is currently our best striker and most likely to score so fair play to him for that. But tbh all that does is make me cringe.

Whether I'm at the match or in a bar watching it on the telly all I hear from everyone nearby is how piss poor best is. The fact that he then scores a goal (most likely on the follow up after piss poor first attempt) doesn't change how bad the rest of his game is. We didn't win on Saturday primarily because of our lack of quality up front and Best is a major part of that.

I'm happy that he's scoring at the minute but personally I think he's getting a large slice of luck which I really don't see continuing and very shortly those of you who are coming around to him will be back to realising how bad he really is.

scoring the bread and butter chances is actually a talent, most goals are scored close in to goal. Its far better than someone who misses the easy chances and scores the spectacular pot shot.

But I take your point, he's hardly the best forward going, but as a striker close to goal, he's doing very well and seems to have an appetite for it.

He won't get a sniff against the top 6. Those are the games you pay the extra money for a quality striker.

He won't get a sniff against the top 6. Those are the games you pay the extra money for a quality striker.

big money too.

Pretty much how I feel.

Pretty much how I feel.

I'd go with that. If he can work on those other areas to his game he would be a very good premier league striker. No one can fault his goal record though ATM. He will do nothing all game then nip a goal.

I'd also say that while he should've put the chance away 1st time against Given (nearly fucked up the rebound too :lol: ) he did well to get into that position in the first place. I quite like the lad as he's a grafter and a model pro by all accounts. He just doesn't look the part when you watch him play. I'd much rather have him playing than pricks like Owen or Martins though.

If he keeps on scoring he'll end up a bit of a Sibierski-type cult hero. He doesn't come across as a Billy Big Bollocks and we never hear of any shite surrounding him. Although he makes the noises he deserves his place in the Prem I reckon he knows deep down he's a lucky lad to be here and playing regularly.