Leon Best

Christmas Tree

Tbf Best's still shite so I can't see why anyone would want him in the team. Ireland may not be one of the top teams in the world but sure they're still better than him?

Still I can't understand Trap having a go at his workrate as it's about his only attribute. Maybe it's more aimed at his lack of ability to make decent attacking movement and not giving his defenders/midfielders any options?

;)

We used to have international class strikers (shearer, Bellamy, Ferdinand, cole etc). Best isn't fit to lace their boots unfortunately and he never will be.

Failing to see your point here. Who said he was international class?

I think the gist of Trapattoni's statement is that Best isn't international class.

Can honestly say that he is a sub-standard version of Shane Long; just a very hard grafter with little footballing awareness and ability.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I agree. Certainly his awareness and positioning are areas that need work, but he's shown some silky touches - vs. Fulham for his 2nd goal, of course, and I remember him peeling away from two defenders early in the QPR game as well before just missing his shot.

He has some ability, grafts hard, and is a model pro, but what's lacking in his game that could really elevate him to the next level is the mental side, which mostly just passes him by.

Thing about him is he makes the most of what he has due to that attitude. I still don't particularly rate him but you have to admire him for that.

Tbf Best's still shite so I can't see why anyone would want him in the team. Ireland may not be one of the top teams in the world but sure they're still better than him?

Still I can't understand Trap having a go at his workrate as it's about his only attribute. Maybe it's more aimed at his lack of ability to make decent attacking movement and not giving his defenders/midfielders any options?

;)

We used to have international class strikers (shearer, Bellamy, Ferdinand, cole etc). Best isn't fit to lace their boots unfortunately and he never will be.

that won't sit easy with him mate.. "living in the past" etc etc

Is he not fit to lace the boots of Kitson, Dalglish, Guivarch, Rush, Tomasson, Gallacher, Robinson or Cort either then?

Cracking talent though when we signed him, and that was reflected in the price-tag. Every bit as good as Sturridge - i was genuinely excited when we signed him. Was allegedly needled-up (with that muscle tear) during his last couple of months at Wimbledon, and prior to his medical here and therefore was able to pass the agility tests etc. He needed surgery much earlier, but the Dons were that desperate to keep him in the shop window, to get a deal over the line, hence Wimbledons injury management/or lack of.

What would he command in the market today - 10m+? Ashley and Dekka are loathe fork out that much for potential.

Proper decent PL strikers are clinical. I think this is the one major thing that Best lacks. Like I say, I like him. His work ethic and willingness to get involved are excellent.

His goal record would indicate that your statement is actually the exact opposite.

;)

Failing to see your point here. Who said he was international class?

Anyone who wants to see him play for an international team surely?

:)

Is he not fit to lace the boots of Kitson, Dalglish, Guivarch, Rush, Tomasson, Gallacher, Robinson or Cort either then?

Cracking talent though when we signed him, and that was reflected in the price-tag. Every bit as good as Sturridge - i was genuinely excited when we signed him. Was allegedly needled-up (with that muscle tear) during his last couple of months at Wimbledon, and prior to his medical here and therefore was able to pass the agility tests etc. He needed surgery much earlier, but the Dons were that desperate to keep him in the shop window, to get a deal over the line, hence Wimbledons injury management/or lack of.

What would he command in the market today - 10m+? Ashley and Dekka are loathe fork out that much for potential.

I always thought he looked a bit rubbish at Wimbledon. 16 goals in 4 seasons.

Didn't Bobby get him mixed up with Jason Euell anyway ;)

;)

IMO the two in bold were considerably better players in their time here than Best will ever be and obviously Rush and Tomasson in their prime were miles better.

More importantly though. during the time of all of those players we had one or more of Pedro, Ferdinand, Shearer or Tino and those players (with the exception of Guivach who was just a mistake of a signing who was very quickly moved on) were either youngsters who we took a punt on (JDT, Kitson, Dagleish, Robinson, Cort) or old heads who were brought in to cover us when we were short (Rush and Gallagher). None of them were ever meant to be our main striker and most of them were moved on pretty quickly.

Oh and most of them got a load of stick (would have been more if message boards like this had been so common at the time :) ) so I'm not sure what your point is?

If their other options are so much better then why haven't they scored more than him this season? How many assists have they got? Why is their star striker playing in the MLS?

Keane has scored the same amount as Best in 4 games (and has an assist and is the country's leading ever scorer) and Walters has also scored the same amount.

Doyle has scored less so far this season but is proven in the premiership over a number of years.

I don't see why any of this makes Best look like a better option?

If their other options are so much better then why haven't they scored more than him this season? How many assists have they got? Why is their star striker playing in the MLS?

Keane has scored the same amount as Best in 4 games (and has an assist and is the country's leading ever scorer) and Walters has also scored the same amount.

Doyle has scored less so far this season but is proven in the premiership over a number of years.

Doyle is overrated. Without looking, i'd say his goal ratio is awful. Walters is Stokes penalty taker may I add. Average footballer. I'd rather have Best thah him.

Doyle is overrated. Without looking, i'd say his goal ratio is awful. Walters is Stokes penalty taker may I add. Average footballer. I'd rather have Best thah him.

I've always liked the look of Doyle tbh and I think in a team that creates chances he could do well. Not seen much of Walters but he hasn't impressed me either.

I suppose if Ireland's options are so bad then perhaps Best should be given a chance with them. Either way it sounds pretty depressing for the Irish.

How is the MLS in any way comparable to the Premier League?

Walters has scored a single goal in the league this season, as far as I know.

That's nice for Doyle and all but clearly Best is more in form than he is.

I've always liked the look of Doyle tbh and I think in a team that creates chances he could do well. Not seen much of Walters but he hasn't impressed me either.

I suppose if Ireland's options are so bad then perhaps Best should be given a chance with them. Either way it sounds pretty depressing for the Irish.

I'm happy enough with our lot. I rate Doyle. He has something in common with a lot of our squad, he works his arse off.

Long(to me) has come on loads in the last year and with James McCarthy and a couple of talented other lads coming through, we're in decent shape.

How is the MLS in any way comparable to the Premier League?

Walters has scored a single goal in the league this season, as far as I know.

That's nice for Doyle and all but clearly Best is more in form than he is.

Keane can only score against the opposition he plays against though and as far as I can make out he has three in four games. Either way Keane has been performing for Ireland for years so I see no reason why he should now be discounted because he's playing in America.

Walters also has two in Europe.

And having watched nothing of Wolves this season I've no idea of his form but as everyone knows players aren't just selected on their current club form. And I certainly wouldn't consider Bests form as anything special regardless.

:)

I always thought he looked a bit rubbish at Wimbledon. 16 goals in 4 seasons.

Didn't Bobby get him mixed up with Jason Euell anyway ;)

Double figures in his last season there iirc, as a more mature/rounded forward. Scored some cracking, 'individual effort' type of goals in a shite side too, i thought he looked like a class act in a relegation outfit. Alot of his damage (re:his season goal tally) was done early on that year, before hitting the wall down the stretch. That sudden & dramatic reversal in form would seem to coincide with the aforementioned speculation that he was struggling with fitness (with a major injury), and that he was needled-up over the last couple of months by Wimbledon's management.

Carl Cort was shite like, certainly nowt on Sturridge who already looks like a dangerous player who, with a bit of refining, could be class.

Funnily enough, we could do with a Gallacher type player for when Ba is off at the ACON. Who fits that mould in the PL atm?

Just had a look at our fixtures for when the ACN is on (21 Jan - 12 Feb) and the games Ba and Tiote will miss are:

Fulham (A)

Blackburn (A)

Villa (H)

Tottenham (A)

Maybe's throw in an FA cup game and probably a re-arranged Prem game

:lol:

Which makes him shit? I could name 4 midfielders we have had that are better than Jonas but it doesn't make him shit.

Best is by no means exceptional but he isn't shit either, as Alex has said he uses the attributes he does have to good effect. He works hard and although he misses chances he should put away he has a good knack of getting into good positions, his time here has been very prolific which backs that up somewhat. A player who "should have scored more" but still has something like 9 goals in 15 games must have a good instinct of where to be which isn't something easily taught.

At the start of the season I said he was a more than acceptable 4th choice striker but the way he is playing it's becoming harder to say he doesn't deserve a proper go now.