Leon Best

Christmas Tree

Tbf Best's still shite so I can't see why anyone would want him in the team. Ireland may not be one of the top teams in the world but sure they're still better than him?

Still I can't understand Trap having a go at his workrate as it's about his only attribute. Maybe it's more aimed at his lack of ability to make decent attacking movement and not giving his defenders/midfielders any options?

If their other options are so much better then why haven't they scored more than him this season? How many assists have they got? Why is their star striker playing in the MLS?

Keane has scored the same amount as Best in 4 games (and has an assist and is the country's leading ever scorer) and Walters has also scored the same amount.

Doyle has scored less so far this season but is proven in the premiership over a number of years.

I don't see why any of this makes Best look like a better option?

Doyle is overrated. Without looking, i'd say his goal ratio is awful. Walters is Stokes penalty taker may I add. Average footballer. I'd rather have Best thah him.

I've always liked the look of Doyle tbh and I think in a team that creates chances he could do well. Not seen much of Walters but he hasn't impressed me either.

I suppose if Ireland's options are so bad then perhaps Best should be given a chance with them. Either way it sounds pretty depressing for the Irish.

I'm happy enough with our lot. I rate Doyle. He has something in common with a lot of our squad, he works his arse off.

Long(to me) has come on loads in the last year and with James McCarthy and a couple of talented other lads coming through, we're in decent shape.

I quite like Doyle too, he's not top class but canny, he gives everything, he reminds me of David Kelly.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl Cort was shite like, certainly nowt on Sturridge who already looks like a dangerous player who, with a bit of refining, could be class.

Funnily enough, we could do with a Gallacher type player for when Ba is off at the ACON. Who fits that mould in the PL atm?

Just had a look at our fixtures for when the ACN is on (21 Jan - 12 Feb) and the games Ba and Tiote will miss are:

Fulham (A)

Blackburn (A)

Villa (H)

Tottenham (A)

Maybe's throw in an FA cup game and probably a re-arranged Prem game

We should be seriously targetting both the FA and League Cup. Would they also miss a semi final League Cup game or anything too ? Lets hope not.

Beat them at home last year 2-1 and they've got Seydou Keita (of Barca) and Maiga in the squad for this one. If I had to call it, I'd say Mali will win, but a draw isn't outside the realms of possibility, which might drop them into the runner-up spot if Zimbabwe can beat Cape Verde. I've only been halfheartedly following the African stuff this qualifying season though since Egypt's campaign has been such a disaster.

I don't think we'll be back in for Maiga in January anyway, though. Sochaux were playing hardball over the price, which isn't a game that Ashley has ever been prepared to play, and he's scored 4 in 6 this season already for them too. They'll want big money, which we won't spend.

I read (on .com I think) they could miss up to 8 matches.

I imagine it being about 6-8 games like with the 4 fixtures currently pencilled in and potentially re-arranged prem games for tele/postponements and cup games

other clubs will also lose their players for the same tournament, I'm sure that will be pointed out, but concerning ourselves with NUFC, who cares. We want to try and win one of these domestic trophies, we can't afford to lose players like Tiote and Ba if we are playing a big team in the quarter or semi final.

• 4 weeks later...

Or maybe not.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20111103/best-called-up-by-ireland_2281670_2504764

Leon Best has been called up to the Republic of Ireland squad for their Euro 2012 play-off games against Estonia.

The 25-year-old striker has three goals to his name this term, and has formed an impressive partnership with Demba Ba as United have made an unbeaten start to the Premier League season.

Best has been capped seven times by the Republic, but has missed out on recent squads. However, head coach Giovanni Trapattoni was at Newcastle's victory at Wolves last month, and has now called the front man back into his ranks.

The Boys in Green will face Estonia on Friday, 11th November, in A le Coq Arena, Tallinn, and Tuesday, 15th November, in the Aviva Stadium, Dublin for a place at next summer's championships.

Best told nufc.co.uk: "I'm over the moon and absolutely delighted to be in the Ireland squad again.

"It has been a long time coming and I've been waiting patiently. The gaffer (Alan Pardew) has helped me, and playing in a winning team cannot have done me any harm either.

"Trapattoni came to watch me at Wolves and must have been happy with what he saw. I've been working hard this season and am really pleased to be called up."

Get in Besty.

Guest CabayeAye

Rather he fit and playing for the toon, so fuck Ireland*

* That applies for any and all nations our players may represent - club first, country last.

Nah, just fuck Ireland in general.