Newcastle 1-0 Wigan

LeazesMag

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wigan's main problem is simply putting the ball in the back of the net, as is the case for a few teams down their end of the table. You often watch them play and they don't look too bad, but they're so low because they just don't score anywhere near enough.

They've scored as many goals this season as we've let in. That's why they're where they are.

Wigan were much better than we were yesterday if Moses and Rodallega could finish we could've had a really embarrassing scoreline yesterday. The problem we've got and have had in many games this season is we don't move off the ball very well, and are better suited playing teams who come at us all the time, as I just don't think we've got enough movement to take the game to teams all of the time. That's my conclusion, don't confuse movement with pace, we have an abundance of pace, but there's not many intelligent runs going on. Had me contact lense punched oot me eye after the goal but it was worth it.

Had a major argument with a mate about Ashley after the game in the pub was nearly a get ootside job with piss offs and fuck offs flying everywhere, can't believe how suckered in people are by this start to the season and it's going to get even worse the longer we keep fluking results because that's what we're doing. The back four was quite good I thought though, more vital we get Colo a new contract than any of AC, Barton, JE or Nolan.

Best looked like he'd been on a cowie last night or summik, after 5 minutes he looked fucked hands on hips, his performance was feeble, and that weak header when he should've scored summed it up. Anyway it's 3 points, but we need to up that against Stoke and the blue dippers cos we'll get beat off both if we don't.

I think we'll look better off the ball if the likes of Ben Arfa and Marveaux get more game-time. I don't think off the ball movement is one of Gutierrez and Obertan's strengths. Same with Best, gets offside too often. Not sure about Ba.

From my limited viewpoint, off the ball movement is not a problem for the defence.

I think our movement will be helped by Santon who by all accounts is strong going forward. It's a part of Raylor (certainly at leftback) and Simpsons game that's lacking.

Both our wingers do have a tendency to stand still a lot also. Jonas gets away with it because he does move with the ball unlike mr heart of a pea on the right.

Bests lack of movement comes from his complete lack of anticipation.

Clearly we'd look a better team with four of these players out of the team and we certainly have better replacements for three of them.

I think we'll look better off the ball if the likes of Ben Arfa and Marveaux get more game-time. I don't think off the ball movement is one of Gutierrez and Obertan's strengths. Same with Best, gets offside too often. Not sure about Ba.

From my limited viewpoint, off the ball movement is not a problem for the defence.

Ba's movement is absolutely fantastic.

Wigan were much better than we were yesterday if Moses and Rodallega could finish we could've had a really embarrassing scoreline yesterday. The problem we've got and have had in many games this season is we don't move off the ball very well, and are better suited playing teams who come at us all the time, as I just don't think we've got enough movement to take the game to teams all of the time. That's my conclusion, don't confuse movement with pace, we have an abundance of pace, but there's not many intelligent runs going on. Had me contact lense punched oot me eye after the goal but it was worth it.

Had a major argument with a mate about Ashley after the game in the pub was nearly a get ootside job with piss offs and fuck offs flying everywhere, can't believe how suckered in people are by this start to the season and it's going to get even worse the longer we keep fluking results because that's what we're doing. The back four was quite good I thought though, more vital we get Colo a new contract than any of AC, Barton, JE or Nolan.

Best looked like he'd been on a cowie last night or summik, after 5 minutes he looked fucked hands on hips, his performance was feeble, and that weak header when he should've scored summed it up. Anyway it's 3 points, but we need to up that against Stoke and the blue dippers cos we'll get beat off both if we don't.

Think Ba's movement is ok because Pardew has drummed into him when we play two up he has to come deep and help out/be available for the ball or we're back to hoofing it up to the big lads. Marv and Bafra were full of intelligent movement when they came on cause it comes natural to how they learnt to play the game, they were always available and in intelligent positions ie the goal.

Think Stoke away will be the first bridge too far as they are very strong at home. I expect us to lose that one, or at best steal a 0-0 or 1-1.

What about playing Santon RM? He can cover Wilson and he has good movement, decent pace and can cross?

Jonas's ball movement was better with Enrique in tandem, Raylor isn't the type to push forward. I think Santon will start in the cup game hopefully at left back with Raylor moved to the right replacing Simpson. With Santon, Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Jonas pushing forward our ball movement should improve with Cabaye offering the out ball option (along with Tiote).

Jonas's ball movement was better with Enrique in tandem, Raylor isn't the type to push forward. I think Santon will start in the cup game hopefully at left back with Raylor moved to the right replacing Simpson. With Santon, Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Jonas pushing forward our ball movement should improve with Cabaye offering the out ball option (along with Tiote).

I would argue the opposite tbh, he's playing his best stuff just now IMO. The fact he doesn't have the easy "pass off" option to Enrique means he's having to drive on himself and he's very good at beating a man/taking a player (or two sometimes) out of the game.

I would argue the opposite tbh, he's playing his best stuff just now IMO. The fact he doesn't have the easy "pass off" option to Enrique means he's having to drive on himself and he's very good at beating a man/taking a player (or two sometimes) out of the game.

On this I completely agree with you, TP.

Wigan were not 'much' better imo, they had the Moses chance in the first after 5 minutes, Best should have scored us. The chances in the first half evened up, Rodallega should have done better, Taylor had a free header. I thought we were the better side for most of the second half, they had their moments on the break but we looked like we were going to score.

I think we've played 28 premiership games in 2011. Won 10, Drawn 13, lost 5. Thats on target for 55 points ish, which is what our form this season is suggesting. Been a fluke all year?

Wigan were not 'much' better imo, they had the Moses chance in the first after 5 minutes, Best should have scored us. The chances in the first half evened up, Rodallega should have done better, Taylor had a free header. I thought we were the better side for most of the second half, they had their moments on the break but we looked like we were going to score.

I think we've played 28 premiership games in 2011. Won 10, Drawn 13, lost 5. Thats on target for 55 points ish, which is what our form this season is suggesting. Been a fluke all year?

I think they were, completely and utterly controlled the first half, if we'd have lost 1-3 we could've had no complaints but for Krul and very poor finishing that's what the score would've been. Even that centre half should've scored at the end, we got the ball and there was no movement up front at all, Ba may have good movement but as a team it's so fucking static, it's easier to see at the match than watching on a stream or telly.

It's the hyperbole I can't agree with Stevie, they shaded the first half, no one watching has disagreed with that.

There's no hyperbole involved, they were tactically better than us and controlled the midfield. We were second best on reflection at home to the team at the bottom of the league. We've got more jam than Hartley's at the minute, long may it continue, but 4th top is a false place for us to be in. I'll still be happy with 10th.

It's the hyperbole I can't agree with Stevie, they shaded the first half, no one watching has disagreed with that.

There's no hyperbole involved, they were tactically better than us and controlled the midfield. We were second best on reflection at home to the team at the bottom of the league. We've got more jam than Hartley's at the minute, long may it continue, but 4th top is a false place for us to be in. I'll still be happy with 10th.

For a period of the first half we were second best. Tactically superior? Because they put 5 in midfield and we had 4, making it 3 vs 2 on Cabaye and Tiote? Despite this we had more possession in that area, made more passes in that area, completed more too, had more shots, more shots on target and dominated periods of the second half where we were easily the better team.

However, even if you want to discount all the stats as irrelevant, thats fine, i'll go back to the post i made earlier at the top of this page. Playing a team facing 6 defeats on the bounce is hard, getting players to apply themselves against low profile opposition is hard, we failed to do this frequently last year.

I am a bit confused about whether our position is false or not, the chat recently has mainly been about us only beating teams in the bottom 7 and not playing anyone decent bar Spurs. In which case 4th is where we should be for now isnt it? According to logical thought anyway.

I am a bit confused about whether our position is false or not, the chat recently has mainly been about us only beating teams in the bottom 7 and not playing anyone decent bar Spurs. In which case 4th is where we should be for now isnt it? According to logical thought anyway.

Bottom 9 now...bottom 11 if qpr win.

:-)

Edited by Happy Face

really i dont care if we didnt play our best as long as we get 3 points is all im bothered about

Think the fear is we ARE playing at our best. Convincing as it has made our position in the table its never looked too convincing on the field...at least from the first 11.

really i dont care if we didnt play our best as long as we get 3 points is all im bothered about

Think the fear is we ARE playing at our best. Convincing as it has made our position in the table its never looked too convincing on the field...at least from the first 11.

Will be interesting to see how much better we look when (if?) Santon, Ben Arfa and Marveaux get more game-time.

Bottom 9 now...bottom 11 if qpr win.

:-)

Am more confused now.