How worried are you by the eurozone sovereign debt crisis?

Dr Gloom

The banking crisis has morphed into a scary debt crisis. I think we're heading for a second great depression that could take us years to recover from. The affects the potential breakup of the euro could have on us is frightening.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who doesn't have a stable job and is looking to get a house/get married/start a family over the next half decade I'm pretty worried, particularly as all attempts to solve the problems seem to be based around propping up the system which has caused the mess rather than pursuing any actual change.

It's 'funny' how Labour supposedly put us into this mess but the reason the Tory's (I mean coalition's) policies aren't working is because of the global financial crisis.

It's 'funny' how Labour supposedly put us into this mess but the reason the Tory's (I mean coalition's) policies aren't working is because of the global financial crisis.

If the UK populace didn't have the collective memory of a goldfish people may start actually pulling them up on that.

I'm reasonably worried like. My sector is picking up slowly but the NE seems to be on its arse in general and you can't really expect the Tories to give a fuck since you could put a scarecrow up and Labour would still get in in most of the constituencies up here. Alcan announcing it's closure the other day was another blow for an area already struggling. Good news about Northern Rock however.

Sub prime mortgage crisis became bank crisis became sovereign crisis. But they'll all based on the system of loose money and unsustainable levels of growth. Until we stop feeding that monster we will continue to live in fear of debt. But debt is just money and money is not real.

I'm more worried about the lack of progress towards a better solution than the crisis itself, which was in many was an inevitable outcome of capitalism.

Exactly. A few subjective policies are the real issue. Never mind Super Gordon's qualitative easing.

The banking crisis has morphed into a scary debt crisis. I think we're heading for a second great depression that could take us years to recover from. The affects the potential breakup of the euro could have on us is frightening.

Europe [and the UK] was far better off before we imported all these assorted spongers from all over the world and had a lower population.

Newcastle was a dreadfully dreary place when I was a bairn and is much better now imo. I dread to think how shite and homogenous the 'culture' was in the 60s tbh.

Sick to fuck of it. Running my own business that is connected to the construction industry. Construction needs money from banks to move. If banks aren't lending then new buildings aren't going up. Also on refurb work people tend to be hanging on to their money while they see what happens.

Europe [and the UK] was far better off before we imported all these assorted spongers from all over the world and had a lower population.

:jesuswept: and in case you missed it the first time :jesuswept:

Can someone explain to me why the countries that owe each other shed loads of cash can't just agree to square it off?

Aye. Its national banks who have bought foreign government bonds. So the debt is between private banks in e.g. France and the Italian government. Therefore, Italy owes 'France' what Italy owes to French banks. The banks used customer money invested in different risk groups so who gets what back is complicated.

Sweet Jesus

Sweet David

FYP.

Anyway, lets see if we can nail this down. In terms of this elastic band here, how tight are things likely to get?