***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

if you are 12th today and 11th tomorrow that is progress. If you are 12th today and 6th tomorrow that is better progress. Yes, they could have spent more and aimed higher. But they said after finishing last season, the target this season was for top half. Now, they have exceeded that, but their spend probably reflected that their aim was top half. They said for the following (next) it was then top 8. I assume this may be revisited now we are looking top 6. AP already said they were 2 years ahead of plan.

So, if their aim was top half that is still progress just not as fast as it seems you would like it. I am content with that (not thrilled, but content). Its progress, its building, its slower but seems to be more measured. The players seem to be scouted thoroughly to give less risk. The money is there, they could spend it now or later with less risk. I am ok with that so long as I see the progress which at the moment I can.

I get what you are saying, you have the money spend it now and progress faster. Show greater ambition.

No ambition would surely be to sustain and consolidate, float around just under midway? They do have ambition but it is a slower approach.

Btw, you were not misquoted by anyone, it was a direct copy and paste of something you said.

As for the do I think a player will be sold, I have said in a few posts now I do. I do think a main player (think Tiote or Ba etc) will be sold. I dont like it, I dont want it, but yes that is what I think will happen. Is it a lack of ambition? Only if they do not use the money. If they sell one for say £15M and bring in two £6M players giving the squad more depth and so long as the quality of those players is better than what we sell, I'll live with it begrudgingly. If they sell one (or more) and bring in lesser quality meaning the first team suffers then I will say it is a bad move.

Dont mistake me for someone who thinks MA only does good. I sit back and consider each point on their own merit. Not sit on one side of the fence no matter what. Of course I comprehend your point, but you need to see people have different ways of looking at things. Doesnt mean they are wrong just as they have a different opinion.

Llambias said in a recent interview that top 8 will still be the plan next season, I think it's a fair enough as cutting a year or 2 out of their plans because we've finished that high already leaves Pardew open to being a victim of his own success.

So if we do drop back a place or 2 in the league next season the club are telling him it's okay as we have the added fixtures of competing in Europe next season, I know a few people have been wary of us qualifying for Europe as our league form may dip but if we want to compete long term then we need the extra money it brings in, the most important thing though is for the squad to improve because that is the way we progress long term.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the 2nd tier sides have suffered from this fukin Europa league. It's hard to cope with with decent squads, never mind small one's like ours. As we are probably going to be in the it next season (and it is good for us long term) they will really have to bulk up the squad. Pards has to make this clear.

if you are 12th today and 11th tomorrow that is progress. If you are 12th today and 6th tomorrow that is better progress. Yes, they could have spent more and aimed higher. But they said after finishing last season, the target this season was for top half. Now, they have exceeded that, but their spend probably reflected that their aim was top half. They said for the following (next) it was then top 8. I assume this may be revisited now we are looking top 6. AP already said they were 2 years ahead of plan.

So, if their aim was top half that is still progress just not as fast as it seems you would like it. I am content with that (not thrilled, but content). Its progress, its building, its slower but seems to be more measured. The players seem to be scouted thoroughly to give less risk. The money is there, they could spend it now or later with less risk. I am ok with that so long as I see the progress which at the moment I can.

I get what you are saying, you have the money spend it now and progress faster. Show greater ambition.

No ambition would surely be to sustain and consolidate, float around just under midway? They do have ambition but it is a slower approach.

Btw, you were not misquoted by anyone, it was a direct copy and paste of something you said.

As for the do I think a player will be sold, I have said in a few posts now I do. I do think a main player (think Tiote or Ba etc) will be sold. I dont like it, I dont want it, but yes that is what I think will happen. Is it a lack of ambition? Only if they do not use the money. If they sell one for say £15M and bring in two £6M players giving the squad more depth and so long as the quality of those players is better than what we sell, I'll live with it begrudgingly. If they sell one (or more) and bring in lesser quality meaning the first team suffers then I will say it is a bad move.

Dont mistake me for someone who thinks MA only does good. I sit back and consider each point on their own merit. Not sit on one side of the fence no matter what. Of course I comprehend your point, but you need to see people have different ways of looking at things. Doesnt mean they are wrong just as they have a different opinion.

Llambias said in a recent interview that top 8 will still be the plan next season, I think it's a fair enough as cutting a year or 2 out of their plans because we've finished that high already leaves Pardew open to being a victim of his own success.

So if we do drop back a place or 2 in the league next season the club are telling him it's okay

it isn't OK at all.

They do, it is my single handed crusade to get the board back where it was with good discussion and piss taking. Dont have to agree and piss taking is good, but not where we are now.

As it happens, I sat and read through the old toon-chat board from 2004 and some old TT posts from Gemmill and LM (fuck me they have been having a go at each other since at least 2004! :lol:) anyway, while Gemmill seemed to be saying Give souness a chance when he came and that he didnt think it was right people wanted him out before he stepped foot in the door, there is no comment at all about giving GS money to spend. The only comment I could fine was this :

Turd Ferguson - November 19, 2004 07:35 PM (GMT)

QUOTE (rikko @ Nov 19 2004, 07:26 PM)

QUOTE (djarla @ Nov 19 2004, 08:20 PM)

--Maybe it means he is NOT signing anyone this Jan!!!!

---Is (most likely) the correct answer.

----And rightly so if nobody of a suitable quality is available.

Which was him saying GS should not sign anyone for the sake of it.

:lol: Fuck me I've been doing this for at least 8 years.

Anyway, vindication. So called accountant has name cleared. Thank you kindly.

Gemmill. My man, what are you trying to achieve here? No one believes a word Leazes says so there's no need from that perspective and like has been mentioned the guy seriously has no qualms about looking the cunt. So you're not going to embarass him. Clearly that emotion isn't in his range. You're just getting sucked into his bullshit. I seriously just think the guy is an attention seeker. Pure and simple. That and he's probably clinically retarded.

He could fuck off instead if he likes. I'm easy.

You encourage him. Or have been of late....:lol:

Get back to making jokes (it's what you're good at). :razz:

That's bollocks. He turns up on a Monday morning and rattles off an 8 consecutive posts in one thread salvo and sets the tone for another week of it. He doesn't need encouraging - Christ, when people put him on ignore he spends the next week minimum trying to goad them into responding to him by calling them out in every post.

Gemmill. My man, what are you trying to achieve here? No one believes a word Leazes says so there's no need from that perspective and like has been mentioned the guy seriously has no qualms about looking the cunt. So you're not going to embarass him. Clearly that emotion isn't in his range. You're just getting sucked into his bullshit. I seriously just think the guy is an attention seeker. Pure and simple. That and he's probably clinically retarded.

I just wanted to see if he would admit to being a liar. Turns out he doesn't have it in his locker. No surprise!

Thing is that Reverend Leazes is again pedalling his message all over the place and not just in the one thread.

Leazes, please just spout your shit in here and let the rest of the board remain free of this boring boring boring fucking debate.

How's the Jonas rating this morning? ;)

They do, it is my single handed crusade to get the board back where it was with good discussion and piss taking. Dont have to agree and piss taking is good, but not where we are now.

As it happens, I sat and read through the old toon-chat board from 2004 and some old TT posts from Gemmill and LM (fuck me they have been having a go at each other since at least 2004! :lol:) anyway, while Gemmill seemed to be saying Give souness a chance when he came and that he didnt think it was right people wanted him out before he stepped foot in the door, there is no comment at all about giving GS money to spend. The only comment I could fine was this :

Turd Ferguson - November 19, 2004 07:35 PM (GMT)

QUOTE (rikko @ Nov 19 2004, 07:26 PM)

QUOTE (djarla @ Nov 19 2004, 08:20 PM)

--Maybe it means he is NOT signing anyone this Jan!!!!

---Is (most likely) the correct answer.

----And rightly so if nobody of a suitable quality is available.

Which was him saying GS should not sign anyone for the sake of it.

:lol: Fuck me I've been doing this for at least 8 years.

Anyway, vindication. So called accountant has name cleared. Thank you kindly.

:lol:

All the 2nd tier sides have suffered from this fukin Europa league. It's hard to cope with with decent squads, never mind small one's like ours. As we are probably going to be in the it next season (and it is good for us long term) they will really have to bulk up the squad. Pards has to make this clear.

Yeah, it's a bloody daft format, especially for a second tier competition. Would provide more tension if they just did knockout rounds. maybe even altered it to one leg (shock horror!) in the early rounds.

Fair enough. I'm impressed you've stuck it out for 8 years with life, a job and everything else against a guy who has none of those things and probably has had everything he's ever posted here printed off and glued to his wall.

Thing is that Reverend Leazes is again pedalling his message all over the place and not just in the one thread.

Leazes, please just spout your shit in here and let the rest of the board remain free of this boring boring boring fucking debate.

How's the Jonas rating this morning? ;)

Que?

I just wanted to see if he would admit to being a liar. Turns out he doesn't have it in his locker. No surprise!

what I say is true. You're a liar. You backed the spending of Souness and encouraged more right to the end, and disagreed with me when I said he should be sacked for selling good players and wasting lots of money, both on here and on Newcastle Online, and you know it.

You could start by admitting that what I have said, which you have rubbished for years [summarised AGAIN earlier this morning] is happening and is about to become even more obvious.

I'm happy to start again with you, but it takes 2 to tango, although if you can't even admit that what I have been saying this morning for the umpteenth time is actually happening, it doesn't bode well.

You say I come on here on monday and make a series of posts, but you don't mention juvenile remarks you make on here when you see me log in ?

Yeah, it's a bloody daft format, especially for a second tier competition. Would provide more tension if they just did knockout rounds. maybe even altered it to one leg (shock horror!) in the early rounds.

I think that idea has been mentioned alot and I don't think there is a good argument against it.

Fair enough. I'm impressed you've stuck it out for 8 years with life, a job and everything else against a guy who has none of those things and probably has had everything he's ever posted here printed off and glued to his wall.

don't let Fish - or Gemmill - see these incorrect ramblings. They frown on such things. In the meantime, if you want to discuss football with me, go to a game or two, which may help your perception.

When the cold hard facts are presented to you like that though, it genuinely makes me think I should knock this place on the head though. :lol: 8 years arguing with a bona fide div kid ffs. :lol:

It helps to blow off steam from time to time by arguing with the village idiot. ;)

so what do you think the club are going to do in the summer to "make progress" ?

I think that idea has been mentioned alot and I don't think there is a good argument against it.

Goal.com and no-one else picked it up so probably bollocks...

Uefa president Michel Platini has contemplated the idea of scrapping the Europa League in favour of extending the Champions League to 64 teams in four years time, according to Bild.

In what would be the biggest shake-up in Europe's club competitions since the rebranding of the European Cup to its current form in 1992, the former France midfielder is reportedly planning on creating a single continental tournament.

Currently, the secondary competition generates far lower revenue for clubs than is produced by the Champions League, a problem Platini is increasingly concerned about, while it has been a target for much criticism since its evolution from the Uefa Cup in 2009.

To address this, Platini wants to increase the number of teams in the Champions League group stage to 64 teams in 2016, effectively absorbing most of the clubs from the Europa League.

Renowned European nations such as Spain, England and Germany would then be given six league berths each in their respective top-flight divisions.

In addition, the reform would ensure more scope would be given to lesser countries, including those from the likes of Latvia, Belarus and Slovakia.

Leazes slags Gemmill for saying Souness should have been backed but is allowed to go mental when he perceives Ashley isn't backing Pardew. Not quite sure how that logic works tbh

Also fails to acknowledge ANY of the poor seasons towards the end of the previous regime while dismissing our best season in ages as a flash in the pan.

Cock

When the cold hard facts are presented to you like that though, it genuinely makes me think I should knock this place on the head though. :lol: 8 years arguing with a bona

fide div kid ffs. :lol:

cold hard facts such as the first good season in 5 years ?

Don't let the facts get in the way of your opinion though.

Leazes slags Gemmill for saying Souness should have been backed but is allowed to go mental when he perceives Ashley isn't backing Pardew. Not quite sure how that logic works tbh

Also fails to acknowledge ANY of the poor seasons towards the end of the previous regime while dismissing our best season in ages as a flash in the pan.

Cock

so where is the 25m quid left from the sale of Carroll, and what happened to the 14th biggest revenues in football ?

Goal.com and no-one else picked it up so probably bollocks...

Uefa president Michel Platini has contemplated the idea of scrapping the Europa League in favour of extending the Champions League to 64 teams in four years time, according to Bild.

In what would be the biggest shake-up in Europe's club competitions since the rebranding of the European Cup to its current form in 1992, the former France midfielder is reportedly planning on creating a single continental tournament.

Currently, the secondary competition generates far lower revenue for clubs than is produced by the Champions League, a problem Platini is increasingly concerned about, while it has been a target for much criticism since its evolution from the Uefa Cup in 2009.

To address this, Platini wants to increase the number of teams in the Champions League group stage to 64 teams in 2016, effectively absorbing most of the clubs from the Europa League.

Renowned European nations such as Spain, England and Germany would then be given six league berths each in their respective top-flight divisions.

In addition, the reform would ensure more scope would be given to lesser countries, including those from the likes of Latvia, Belarus and Slovakia.

The risk there is that it cheapens the competition I guess. But I think it would be great. I would hate to see the fixture list though it would be fucking enormous.

Cock

so where is the 25m quid left from the sale of Carroll, and what happened to the 14th biggest revenues in football ?

Caught me by surprise with that response, I genuinely never saw that coming.

Also was that 14th largest revenue after 2004?

Haha

Cock

Edited by jaythesouthernmag

Cock

Caught me by surprise with that response, I genuinely never saw that coming.

Haha

Cock

It basically amounts to what they've got already, the formats are almost identical anyway with hundreds of games. They'll just be filtering some CL money to EL teams and combining them to one winner.