Mike Ashley approval rating

Happy Face

Mike Ashley approval ratings  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair he has put the club on the straight and narrow. He did right in getting rid of the big earners and has been prima donnas but i disagreed with the sale of Andy Carroll and for me he has blown it big time with the attempt to rename the stadium.

To be fair he has put the club on the straight and narrow. He did right in getting rid of the big earners and has been prima donnas but i disagreed with the sale of Andy Carroll and for me he has blown it big time with the attempt to rename the stadium.

I wouldn't get carried away yet. Some of the moves he's made seem to make sense, but we're in the dark as to his motives. Until we see the end-game we've no idea if he's put us on the straight and narrow, or if he's setting us up for a fall (by that I mean he may well simply be ensuring the largest profit margin he can and the form on the pitch and praise off it is merely a happy coincidence)

Many shook their heads in disbelief when club captain Kevin Nolan and Twitter-botherer Joey Barton were jettisoned last summer, but Newcastle now enjoy a more united dressing room,
lower wage bill
and, in Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, also boast one of the best central midfield partnerships in the land.

Haven't we been fed rhetoric by the club that there has been a 6 or 7% increase in the wage bill even after the departure of these players?

Many shook their heads in disbelief when club captain Kevin Nolan and Twitter-botherer Joey Barton were jettisoned last summer, but Newcastle now enjoy a more united dressing room,
lower wage bill
and, in Tiote and Yohan Cabaye, also boast one of the best central midfield partnerships in the land.

Haven't we been fed rhetoric by the club that there has been a 6 or 7% increase in the wage bill even after the departure of these players?

Believe that was true immediately following promotion.

Getting Barton, Nolan and Smith of the books should contribute to another drop though. Whether that's offset by Tiote's improved deal and a potential improvement to Coloccini's deal, we'll have to see. Fingers crossed both remain on the books.

Replacing Nolan with Cabaye at a loss or Barton with Obertan at a loss have been cited as reasons to believe that Ashley is investing more on the field, but the wages are ignored while the fees involved remain the focus. Shouldn't forget the replacements are on half the money.

No idea of the actual numbers, but as an example, Obertan's 5 year deal...

£3.5m + £30k a week for 5 years = £11.3m for Obertan

No fee + £60k a week for 5 years = £15.6m for Barton

It was the cheaper option to let Barton go for free and replace him with Obertan.

• 6 months later...

LeazesMag would've had a field day with the lack of action in the summer window, and he'd have had a point. I'm all for them haggling, and getting the best priced deal, but losing Debuchy over a poxy million quid says a lot. The fact is without any doubt at all, Newcastle had to sell to buy, no sales no semi major purchases. You could say they don't want to get in to debt, but that fat bastard has £2,000,000,000 in assets, what is £10m quid for two players to bolster the squad. If Ashley had a choice between coming 12th and making £10m profit, or coming 5th and breaking even, he'd choose the profit every time.

I agree Stevie but LM's mantra was "backing the manager" and Pardew claims he's happy with the window - you can't have it both ways without admitting that the idea of a manager being given x million to do with what he likes is gone.

As I said in the position thread the pennies saved on Debuchy are fucking trivial.

Maybe it was a choice between Anita and Debuchy and he went for Anita as he can play RB, LB and Midfield?

Anyway, it could be worse, we could be Liverpool.

What worries me is the future. If we don't finish the season well, some of our stars could want out. Would we be able to replace them adequately?

Ashley could have made a real statement of intent by making 3-4 astute signings to send a message out that we were genuine Champions League contenders. When you have the likes of Scumderland, Southampton, West Sham spending more than us, it makes us ask a few questions about why Ashley isn't ready to spend money. I understand he doesn't want to spend more than a player is worth but surely Debuchy is worth 6-7 Million pounds.

We haven't purchased a defender other than Santon for the last 2.5 years and it's a position that has required strengthening for awhile.

I don't mean to sound negative, as we weren't overtly happy about our dealings last year at this time, but it turned out to be a great season, so let's wait and see.

We've massively fucked up imo, we don't have the strength or depth to compete on all fronts. Ashley back to zero status. We all knew this was a possibility though; just most of us hoped it wouldn't happen rather than be proven correct.

I agree Stevie but LM's mantra was "backing the manager" and Pardew claims he's happy with the window - you can't have it both ways without admitting that the idea of a manager being given x million to do with what he likes is gone.

As I said in the position thread the pennies saved on Debuchy are fucking trivial.

Pardew isn't happy with the window. He said after Anita came in there could be another 1 or 2, he's not happy, all he's doing is not rocking the boat. It doesn't fool me.

We've massively fucked up imo, we don't have the strength or depth to compete on all fronts. Ashley back to zero status. We all knew this was a possibility though; just most of us hoped it wouldn't happen rather than be proven correct.

GK: Krul, Harper, Elliott

RB: Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Perch, Anita, Tavernier

CB: Colo, Steven Taylor, Williamson, Perch

LB: Santon, Ferguson, Ryan Taylor

CM: Cabaye, Tiote, Anita, Bigi, Gosling, Abeid, Gutierrez, Vuckic

RM: Ben Arfa, Obertan, Sammy, Marveaux

LM: Gutierrez, Sammy, Marveaux

ST: Ba, Cisse, Shola

As far as I'm concerned, we needed a striker and a LB more than a RB, even if they were young players. I don't think our main rivals have much better in the way of depth btw and Spurs and Arsenal lost their best players.

Aye, spot on. I was quite drunk on Sunday night when I left town, and I tweeted a load of bollocks about Ashley being the anti-christ etc...but he is, I've never bought the clubs best interest at heart shite, he'll do anything to balance the books. Fair enough if you're Bill Kenwright, but not when you're a billionaire, and we had a wonderful chance to speculate to accumulate in this window because 5th, or even 4th is not beyond the realms of possibility, or wasn't.

GK: Krul, Harper, Elliott

RB: Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Perch, Anita, Tavernier

CB: Colo, Steven Taylor, Williamson, Perch

LB: Santon, Ferguson, Ryan Taylor

CM: Cabaye, Tiote, Anita, Bigi, Gosling, Abeid, Gutierrez, Vuckic

RM: Ben Arfa, Obertan, Sammy, Marveaux

LM: Gutierrez, Sammy, Marveaux

ST: Ba, Cisse, Shola

As far as I'm concerned, we needed a striker and a LB more than a RB, even if they were young players. I don't think our main rivals have much better in the way of depth btw and Spurs and Arsenal lost their best players.

I don't think it's numbers so much as quality. The lads I've bolded are top 5 players on their day, the rest either aren't yet or just aren't.

Approval rating --- Still Good

As Paddock lad said the other day, The joy of May hasnt yet gone.

We finished 5th, Have kept that great team together, are in Europe and have 4 points from the first three games.

Would have liked a better window but a bit churlish to winge not knowing all the facts when things have been on such a good upward trend for so long.

Come back in May it its all gone tits up. :)

Would have liked a better window but a bit churlish to winge not knowing all the facts when things have been on such a good upward trend for so long.

The facts are that we need a new first choice RB. We also need someone to compete with Taylor at CB. Cover for Cisse/Ba would be nice.

The fact that we were completely fucked at CB last season and this hasn't been addressed is unforgivable. We also know that Simpson is not going to sign a new contract and that he also isn't good enough. What's going to happen next summer when we approach a club for their RB and they know we're desperate? The price will go up. Ashley will tell them to fuck off and we'll end up with shite.

The weaknesses in the squad/team are obvious to all of us, we had plenty of time to do something about it but the club has failed to do so.

The facts are that we need a new first choice RB. We also need someone to compete with Taylor at CB. Cover for Cisse/Ba would be nice.

The fact that we were completely fucked at CB last season and this hasn't been addressed is unforgivable. We also know that Simpson is not going to sign a new contract and that he also isn't good enough. What's going to happen next summer when we approach a club for their RB and they know we're desperate? The price will go up. Ashley will tell them to fuck off and we'll end up with shite.

The weaknesses in the squad/team are obvious to all of us, we had plenty of time to do something about it but the club has failed to do so.

But all these "weaknesses" were here last season and we finished fifth, got into Europe, played some very nice football. Its not quite the doom and gloom scenario some would like to make it.

When I refer to not knowing the facts, Im talking about why a particular deal didnt go through. We can guess its because we didnt stump up an extra million but there will be more to it than that. Debuchy hasnt gone anywhere else for that extra 1 mill has he?

As for centre back cover we managed just fine for half the year with Williamson and Perch did well when he played there as well. Not great, but we are hardly going to get great CB' to come in as cover.

Personally I think Anita is looking a very good player to have, especially when he settles in.

Am not going to be too harsh on him as I didnt expect too much anyway, certainly not enough to compete well on all fronts. The policy we all admired (yes, even me) last season is still the policy, so we'll just have to fuckin lump it, its a bit hypocritical to do otherwise. Many were predicting mid table last season, and many were,due to Europe I imagine, predicting finishing outside the top 5 this season back in May and seemed to be happy-ish with this.

The thing for me is we should be concentrating on the league, as thats where the real money is earned. I expect a european campaign like the last one....we' should get out of the group, but we'll get beat by the first half decent team we play in the knock out stages. A domestic cup of any kind would be brilliant and perhaps manageable should we be out of Europe in early spring....cant see us having the squad to fight effectively on 3 fronts so 4 good away trips would leave me happy enough.

But all these "weaknesses" were here last season and we finished fifth, got into Europe, played some very nice football. Its not quite the doom and gloom scenario some would like to make it.

When I refer to not knowing the facts, Im talking about why a particular deal didnt go through. We can guess its because we didnt stump up an extra million but there will be more to it than that. Debuchy hasnt gone anywhere else for that extra 1 mill has he?

As for centre back cover we managed just fine for half the year with Williamson and Perch did well when he played there as well. Not great, but we are hardly going to get great CB' to come in as cover.

Personally I think Anita is looking a very good player to have, especially when he settles in.

And this is exactly Mike Ashley's train of thought. We did it last season so we should be able to repeat it again.

I'd say last season was more than any of us expected. We were generally a solid team, but Barcelona we were certainly not. In at least 10 games we got lucky, the margins between success and failure were tiny last season, we didn't hammer anyone for starters (other than Man Utd), suffered 4 and 5 goal maulings off the likes of Norwich, Tottenham, Fulham and Wigan, I'm not saying we didn't deserve 5th, but we could just have easily come 10th. I believe our attitude got us through rather than being that much better than the sides below us. There's been progress, but again the progress margin is tiny. If we had a scout performing far more poorly than Graham Carr, we'd have been 12th-16th and people would be saying the same things about Ashley we were saying 3 years ago. Little has changed other than he's rolled the dice a few times and got two sixes, we CAN NOT maintain it through stagnation, and Pardew's desperate attempts to get the fans to say well done Mike for consolidating and adding little, rather than consolidating adding to the squad, piss me off no end.

A few points are considered imo.

Is the squad stronger than last year?

We got rid of 7 players but Id say only 3 impact the first team. Guthrie, Lovenkrands and Best.

We brought in 4 players and it seems at the moment 3 will impact the first team. Anita, Bigi and Amalfitano.

On that you might say 3 in 3 out with some deadwood shifted so we are about the same.

What was crucial for me though was that we needed a FB last season. Williamson proved shaky at times as well. So while not bringing these positions in hasnt weakened us, we havent pushed on when we should have. This then runs the risk of those around us improving and us standing still which in effect means you move backwards. A big thing for me though was getting rid of two forwards and not bringing another in. I can only imagine they are looking at Shola and thinking 3 is enough.

So on that, the squad is maybe about the same though tbf Anita seems to give more cover than Guthrie so we are slightly better. Very slightly.

Looking at money. We spent a net of £3M. It's been said look at what West Ham or Southampton spent. More crucial is what our immediate competition spent imo. That is :

Liverpool - £20M

NUFC - £3M

Arsenal - £300K

Everton - (£4.8M)

Spurs - (£5.8M)

Out of those we were 2nd top spenders. Strange but true. Though I am one of those that think spending the highest doesnt really mean a lot if you dont spend well.

The most annoying thing for me was Debuchy. A player that we were crying out for and by the sounds of it needed only a small amount more to get him. Id not be surprised to see a deal pushed through in Jan. Or Im hoping anyway.

All in all, we're taking a massive risk (as can be seen by the injuries recently) but the level of spending doesnt really stand out from what those around us are spending one way or another.

I also keep thinking of MA saying he was fucked off with the stick he was getting any why should he put his own money in. From then on he wanted the club to generate its own funds and I still think that is the case (I may be wrong but Ive seen nothing to show otherwise).

Approval? My approval went up massively last season when I felt I'd been proved wrong. While it hasnt dropped massively and while Im still fucked off about the whole SJP thing, its certainly on a downward slope again and Ill need to see how we are fairing come Jan and if we invest for it to change.

There is no "I told you so" not really as its too soon to judge.

I'd say last season was more than any of us expected. We were generally a solid team, but Barcelona we were certainly not. In at least 10 games we got lucky, the margins between success and failure were tiny last season, we didn't hammer anyone for starters (other than Man Utd), suffered 4 and 5 goal maulings off the likes of Norwich, Tottenham, Fulham and Wigan, I'm not saying we didn't deserve 5th, but we could just have easily come 10th. I believe our attitude got us through rather than being that much better than the sides below us. There's been progress, but again the progress margin is tiny. If we had a scout performing far more poorly than Graham Carr, we'd have been 12th-16th and people would be saying the same things about Ashley we were saying 3 years ago. Little has changed other than he's rolled the dice a few times and got two sixes, we CAN NOT maintain it through stagnation, and Pardew's desperate attempts to get the fans to say well done Mike for consolidating and adding little, rather than consolidating adding to the squad, piss me off no end.

Actually, can I add, I fucking hate the little soundbites from Pardew that suggest we should be grateful. Also, like you say, is he (Pardew) fuck happy with the window. Happy we didnt lose anyone aye, and so am I. But I bet he is gutted we didnt bring in 1 - 2 more players. I reckon some of the squad are as well. But it is what it is now. The fans, players and club as a whole now need to live with that and get on with it.

I think that's pretty much spot on.