Would you swap Demba Ba for Andy Carroll?

loonyTOON

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure a proper geordie would throw away the chance to be number 9 at Newcastle. I don't know the details as not many do, I change my mind every now and then but nobody had a gun to his head.

If it's a choice between the two of them then it's Ba every time. Would prefer the pair of them though.

That said, I think we benefited from Carroll last season because of the service Joey Barton was providing. Without that, would he be as effective?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Mark Hughes enquiring about Carroll. They need a player of his ilk, they've got the cash to spend and in Barton they've got a player who we all know can provide the ammunition.

I'm not sure a proper geordie would throw away the chance to be number 9 at Newcastle. I don't know the details as not many do, I change my mind every now and then but nobody had a gun to his head.

Born in Sunderland apparently. That said, I would also sack Demba Ba because he has disrespected our club so badly. Pardew offered him the no. 9 shirt and a new state of the art prayer mat (it hovers), and Ba refused and squirted a load of syrup in Pardew's face. Apparently similar scenes have occured between Pardew and the players' wives, but with the syrup squirting in the other direction.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Mind, if we had them both, It'd be a beautiful relationship, like Forrest and Bubba back together again.

Can imagine Carroll with a long ball from Krul coming towards him, leaping like a salmon to beat two defenders shouting "I gotta find Demba!"

:lol:

With Saylor running off towards the Cheviots when they score?

Born in Sunderland apparently. That said, I would also sack Demba Ba because he has disrespected our club so badly. Pardew offered him the no. 9 shirt and a new state of the art prayer mat (it hovers), and Ba refused and squirted a load of syrup in Pardew's face. Apparently similar scenes have occured between Pardew and the players' wives, but with the syrup squirting in the other direction.

If that's all true, then Ba is an utter disgrace.

Mind, if we had them both, It'd be a beautiful relationship, like Forrest and Bubba back together again.

Can imagine Carroll with a long ball from Krul coming towards him, leaping like a salmon to beat two defenders shouting "I gotta find Demba!"

Credit where it's due, this actually made me laugh out loud.

Would rather keep Ba.

Carroll fucked off first chance and to be honest I would be very concerned about how he would perform if he came back. He looked completely unplayable at times here but there is a chance that was a purple patch and that we played to his strengths due to the players we had at the time.

Not sure Carroll would work well with Ba either, Carroll worked for us because he was the main (only) man and everything went through him. Ba is the better player by some distance so we would be moronic to build our play around Carroll again.

Tom, if yer offered 3 - 4 times what yer earning, instant riches, plus a longer contract, it's like a gun to anyone's head especially if they're young and daft.

He'll be a Black & White Geordie all his life.

Apart from when he leaves us to join a club like Liverpool, you mean.

No, I don't mean that!!

Look at Gazza, went to London, then Italy, then Scotland, back to England, but always a Black & White Geordie boy.

One of the worst things about football is that people start making excuses for the likes of Carroll, a millionaire by now, who spends his time hitting women, drinking himself to oblivion whilst being paid to be a professional athlete, throwing glasses at people in grotty shithole nightclubs frequented by braindead morons, chinning teammates, and generally being an arsehole. I'm guilty of double standards myself: when Carroll was facing potential jail time as a result of (allegedly) hitting women and throwing glasses at people, I said I'd be happy for him to be sacked; then he started scoring frequently in the Championship and I was like, "mmmmm maybe let's not sack him then."

I really admire Ba's focus and workrate in his profession, and it's great to see someone with that attitude excel at the highest level.

Wasn't he on about £40k a week here after he signed a new contract? Doubt he is on 3-4 times that.

Don't know how much he was on at Newcastle, nor how much he is on at Liverpool but I'm sure it's a lot more.

If it's not 3-4 times more then I stand corrected.

You lot will know better than me, so I'd like to know what it is (was) about Carroll that was so great anyway?

Fair doos he's going through a lean patch at the minute, but I've just looked at his club career goal record, and frankly it ain't that good:

Newcastle - 80 apps 30 goals

Preston NE - 11 apps 1 goal

Scousers - 25 apps - 4 goals

Total - 116 apps 35 goals.

Now bearing in mind the vast majority of those games were in the second tier of English football, I'd say for a striker his record is very weak.

What am I missing?

He came on during the second half of the season in the CCC and started scoring regularly. His performances up to then had been largely shite, although he was just breaking through. Then he scored 11 in the PL, but it wasn't like Ba who is capable of scoring against the top teams and is genuinely one of the better finishers in the PL. He scored a hattrick against an utterly dismal Villa team after MON left, he scored a tap in against Chelsea after a defensive fuck-up, then he scored some good headers. He is a terrific header of the ball. He occasionally smashes a good shot in, like he did against Liverpool when all their defenders backed off and off until he shot, and Dalglish decided he was the new Stoichkov, but his general play and technique isn't great. I think people were excited because that could always improve with him being so young and inexperienced, and he was still scoring regularly (up to halfway through the season).

You lot will know better than me, so I'd like to know what it is (was) about Carroll that was so great anyway?

Fair doos he's going through a lean patch at the minute, but I've just looked at his club career goal record, and frankly it ain't that good:

Now bearing in mind the vast majority of those games were in the second tier of English football, I'd say for a striker his record is very weak.

What am I missing?

His overall play was very impressive, he's an old fashioned bludgeon of a centre forward and will score goals with service. You're counting appearances, but really you should take into account the fact that he's made a fair few sub appearances. In his Championship season and last season for us his ratio was just under 1 in 2, which as you know, is the mark of a good striker.

Basically if he'd stayed at Newcastle with Ba, Ba would be closer to 20 and Carroll would have 10 or so. Play him with service and he can be an unstoppable force.

He was brilliant for us in the second half of the championship and stepped up amazingly well (shocked most) before he was sold. His hype is based on that first half in the premiership where he was just brilliant and bullied many experienced defenders so they just couldn't handle him.

Hard to say whether it was just good form at the time or if that was the real Carroll and he has lost his way moving to Liverpool. Just hasn't looked anything like that player since he left. Whether that's homesickness, poor attitude, no longer being unknown (so teams can plan how to defend against him) or just the fact he isn't that good it's hard to say but if we were offered him back for £15m maybe even £10m I would rather we looked elsewhere. He showed us no loyalty as soon as a bid came in so I have no wish to see him back just because he is a local lad. The whole 'Geordie lad, would die for the shirt, do us proud' stuff went out the door as quickly as he did.

His overall play was very impressive,

No it wasn't, it was shit at times, the impressive part of his game was heading the ball which apparently destroys 3 million brain cells every time you do it, so he was always destined for a short career.

at times it was shit, other times it was impressive. At times Shearer was shit. Overall Andy Carroll was playing at a good standard, so much so he had teams sniffing around him, and then a big team taking a punt (admittedly for stupid money)

What am I missing?

Big, strong, fantastic in the air.

He scored 11 goals in 19 games last season, that's not too bad.