Astronomy

Christmas Tree

Says in the article, if it exists, that the closest it'll get to the Sun (and us) is still way beyond the orbit of Pluto.

Even though the first caption suggests it's closer than Pluto at approx 20 AU. That's the crazy, lefty Grauniad for you ;)

2i79y5f.jpg

Artist Pablo Carlos Budassi's logarithmic scale conception of the observable universe with the Solar System at the center, inner and outer planets, Kuiper belt, Oort cloud, Alpha Centauri, Perseus Arm, Milky Way galaxy, Andromeda galaxy, nearby galaxies, Cosmic Web, Cosmic microwave radiation and Big Bang's invisible plasma on the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

2i79y5f.jpg

Artist Pablo Carlos Budassi's logarithmic scale conception of the observable universe with the Solar System at the center, inner and outer planets, Kuiper belt, Oort cloud, Alpha Centauri, Perseus Arm, Milky Way galaxy, Andromeda galaxy, nearby galaxies, Cosmic Web, Cosmic microwave radiation and Big Bang's invisible plasma on the edge.

Where's the denpressure?

• 2 weeks later...

NASAs Solar Dynamics Observatory spacecraft was launched on February 2010 and became operational in April of 2010. When it left it was had enough fuel to last ten years. The scientists are receiving valuable data and they just released this time-lapse video of the Sun from Jan. 1, 2015 to Jan. 28, 2016.

• 7 months later...

Quality stuff.

Never saw nowt like that through my telescope :lol:

Me and Tooj were talking about going up to the Kielder Observatory one clear winter's night to see the Milky Way etc. (not a euphemism) as it's amazing what you can see once you get away from light pollution. Dweebs!!!!

Used to go there quite a lot when I first learnt to drive and just look at the stars before the observatory was even there.

Me and Tooj were talking about going up to the Kielder Observatory one clear winter's night to see the Milky Way etc. (not a euphemism) as it's amazing what you can see once you get away from light pollution. Dweebs!!!!

Used to go there quite a lot when I first learnt to drive and just look at the stars before the observatory was even there.

Aye, it's meant to be great up there. Really good set up.

A few years back me and the kids jumped in the car one night and headed up past Morpeth looking for somewhere dark to see the aurora. Never saw it, but the night sky was magnificent and the Milky Way was a sight to behold.

Such a dramatic difference once you get away from man made light.

As well Christmas Tree the lads up there who do the talks are really personable and they do events that are specifically catered for kids. I know you like a family trip out and that.

As well Christmas Tree the lads up there who do the talks are really personable and they do events that are specifically catered for kids. I know you like a family trip out and that.

Funny, my daughters were pestering me to come up with Birthday ideas earlier today. After reading the above I thought to myself a trip up there with the daughters might be canny. Before I had chance to tell them, one of them rang me to say she was driving around trying to catch a glimpse of tonight's partial eclipse of the moon!

Only slight thing that bothers me about Kielder is you usually have to book in advance and of course there are no guarantees of clear skies.

Before I had chance to tell them, one of them rang me to say she was driving around trying to catch a glimpse of tonight's partial eclipse of the moon!

Only slight thing that bothers me about Kielder is you usually have to book in advance and of course there are no guarantees of clear skies.

Once upon a time I was selling settees

Now I'm taking fares to the park

Nothing to see,

CT's a total clip in the dark.

• 6 months later...