Astronomy

Christmas Tree

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I know it’s another “Doomsday Meteor” article, but this one goes in to quite some detail about how they’ve studied Bennu, and even gives a most likely date for impact.…

“the afternoon of September 24, 2182. On that Tuesday, Bennu has about a 1-in-2,700 chance of hitting Earth.”

https://apple.news/AoFsUWdrBT46GCTK23eEcRw

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Speaking of CT's hobbies, I was at Littlehaven Beach in South Shields the other day with the dog, and there was this absolute conehead knocking aboit with a metal detector and a weird cylindrical shovel thing. 

Was it you, @Christmas Tree

I wonder if detectorists (or whatever they’re called) ever find WWII ordinance, with unfortunate results?

* googles*

Indeed they do. And one lost a finger (snigger)

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Speaking of CT's hobbies, I was at Littlehaven Beach in South Shields the other day with the dog, and there was this absolute conehead knocking aboit with a metal detector and a weird cylindrical shovel thing. 

Was it you, @Christmas Tree

:lol:  Not guilty, but very spooky post!

After an absence of about 3 years (due to injury), I just signed up to restart this hobby less than 8 hours ago :lol: 

Booked on a dig for Saturday.

Personally I much prefer to be out in the middle of nowhere in Durham or Northumberland digging up Bigus Dickus loose change.

The beach (crown foreshore) is one of the very few places where people are allowed to detect for free. Doesn’t interest me.

Also

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/hadrians-wall-roman-road-newcastle-21280878.amp

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

He'll have had about 6 different hobbies since metal detecting was flavour of the month 

:lol: Running out of ideas. 

Tried googling “top 50 hobbies for over 50’s” the other day and absolutely nothing of interest. 

After early injury lay off from Metal detecting I moved back to occasional sea fishing followed by DIY during lockdown. 

My passion really is sharing a muddy field filled with likeminded men, hence the test dig tomorrow. :lol:

38 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol:  Not guilty, but very spooky post!

After an absence of about 3 years (due to injury), I just signed up to restart this hobby less than 8 hours ago :lol: 

Booked on a dig for Saturday.

Personally I much prefer to be out in the middle of nowhere in Durham or Northumberland digging up Bigus Dickus loose change.

The beach (crown foreshore) is one of the very few places where people are allowed to detect for free. Doesn’t interest me.

Also

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/hadrians-wall-roman-road-newcastle-21280878.amp

Saw that on the news. You’d think they would have unearthed all the remaining sections already given the route of the wall is already known. 

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol: Running out of ideas. 

Tried googling “top 50 hobbies for over 50’s” the other day and absolutely nothing of interest. 

After early injury lay off from Metal detecting I moved back to occasional sea fishing followed by DIY during lockdown. 

My passion really is sharing a muddy field filled with likeminded men, hence the test dig tomorrow. :lol:

You thought about doing something useful? You've got kids, I'm sure they'd love to have a dad who could do a bit of joinery/carpentry or plumbing, or whatever.

Or do some volunteering. Plenty of organisations would love someone with the time and willingness to try out new things that you seem to have.

(EDIT: I couldn't find a way to make that not sound snarky, but for once it's not :lol: )

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Or do some volunteering. Plenty of organisations would love someone with the time and willingness to try out new things that you seem to have.

(EDIT: I couldn't find a way to make that not sound snarky, but for once it's not :lol: )

I didn't even bother trying, because as ever, it was.

• Haha 2

How physically fit are you CT? Tried geocaching? Waste of a walk for me but, with your metal detecting, you sound the type to enjoy treasure hunting and its definitely preferable to that. 

Have you tried Free Jumping, Bunter? 

It’s like Base Jumping but without the expensive training and equipment- Malham Cove is a popular beginners spot, as is the Tyne Bridge. 

It also tends to be a short-lived hobby so it’ll suit you down to the ground, literally. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

I don’t really have much free time. Just like a hobby I can do adhoc when the fancy takes me. Fingers crossed the neck works.

32 minutes ago, Renton said:

How physically fit are you CT? Tried geocaching? Waste of a walk for me but, with your metal detecting, you sound the type to enjoy treasure hunting and its definitely preferable to that. 

Briefly downloaded the app to see what it was all about but sounds pretty dull :lol: (no shiney treasure).

I loooove Metal detecting. Out in the country, walking all day on fairly flat pastures, digging up some unlucky Romans wages. 

Flask and picnic.