The Day The Promises Had To Stop

LeazesMag

I haven't read the book but I always used to wonder why the club was floated at all - it didn't pay for the ground expansion and it didn't fund a huge transfer foray - I think all our deals over the next 5 years were done "within turnover" as it were.

Of course the question was answered in 2007.

(Can I get away with saying this now?)

It did create a pot of about £40 million that went into the clubs account iirc.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always wary of books on NUFC to be honest. Most are what I would class as stocking fillers, not brilliantly written, not full of anything funny/exciting, and published because lots of people at Christmas go 'eeh, our Dave's a big toon fan, I'll get him that book' and therefore they'll make some cash. Do I sound like I speak from experience here? I can't be the only one who's inundation with shite cheap NUFC related presents every year.

Anyway Leazes, carry on.

I've read a few more chapters and that is how it is coming across now. Nothing new, and a few cliches, I'm not doubting Mr Cassidy as a toon fan he's obviously the genuine article but its all becoming a bit predictable.

so secretly you know the good ship NUFC was being captained like the titanic?

no, I said that it is all becoming a bit predictable with a few of the usual cliches thrown in for good measure.

I'll be quite happy to carry on with this review, if anybody wishes to be constructive and intelligent about the quotes and comments, assuming they actually know what was going on at that time and can delve into their memories to put it all in its correct context.

Noelie is older than me, he should have a good memory.

Drop the arrogant patronising tone for fuck sake mate. No wonder it's all kicking off with you. Genuine question, what enjoyment do you get out of being here if that's the tone of your posts? You should take a self-imposed break from here imo, your posts just aren't pleasant reading any more.

yep, I get enjoyment sometimes, but what I also get is fed up of people like you who have supported the club for 5 minutes and try to tell me I am wrong.

I'll put up more of the book for those who are hopefully knowledgeable enough, and old enough to get the whole perspective.

My friend's dad is 65 and after showing him some of your comments on my iphone he reckons you know nowt, you're full of shit, and you're an absolute blend!

Most football books are stocking fillers tbh. The sanitised ghost-written biographies of people still playing probably being the worst examples. They're fucking dreadful.

51JCPD6R69L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg41859AKQJML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg51I9cHcWg5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

"Abridged for younger readers" like it was some kind of complex work of literary genius in the first place. :lol: For all Joey Barton's scattershot relationship with accuracy and the truth, he got that one spot on.

Most football books are stocking fillers tbh. The sanitised ghost-written biographies of people still playing probably being the worst examples. They're fucking dreadful.

the 2 Brian Clough/Peter Taylor ones we have talked about are good, and as another non-NUFC one, the book "My Life" by Alex Ferguson is very good.

There are others.

As a rule of thumb anything by Simon Kuper about football is well worth reading. Hugh Macilvaney's collection of articles from his columns in the Times and the Observer is also worth a look. Bobby Charlton's (auto)biographies by Matt Lawton are surprisingly good, very detailed.

Harry Pearson has written some great books, "The Far Corner: A mazy dribble through north east football" is brilliant. He's just a very funny writer, been meaning to get his books on Northern cricket and country fairs.

The only other great one i can think of is The Miracle of castle di sangro, which for one reason or another doesnt suffer too much because the author is a yank, in fact it lends something to the literary style. A book i went through in a day or two, so i obviously enjoyed it.

Harry Pearson has written some great books, "The Far Corner: A mazy dribble through north east football" is brilliant. He's just a very funny writer, been meaning to get his books on Northern cricket and country fairs.

The only other great one i can think of is The Miracle of castle di sangro, which for one reason or another doesnt suffer too much because the author is a yank, in fact it lends something to the literary style. A book i went through in a day or two, so i obviously enjoyed it.

Harry Pearson one is great, aye. Cheers for reminding me about that other one as I meant to get it some time ago as Brian Glanville (another good writer) raved about it.

I enjoyed the far corner. I find most books about football borderline unreadable though, with some of the exceptions already stated. Listening to others' opinions on football is almost as bad as hearing about their dreams in most cases. And generally footballers just aren't interesting enough to be worthy of an autobiography, again with some exceptions.

The Only NUFC books I've genuinely enjoyed was the Billy Furious ones.

which ones have you read ?

Mag for all seasons and They wonder why we drink. I've always found his writing really entertaining.

sorry Davey, I meant NUFC books other than the Billy Furious ones.

Mag For All Seasons was by far the better book imo.

I loaned that to a couple of Leeds supporters when I lived in Scarborough. They both liked it [although one of them wouldn't admit it]

I enjoyed the far corner. I find most books about football borderline unreadable though, with some of the exceptions already stated. Listening to others' opinions on football is almost as bad as hearing about their dreams in most cases. And generally footballers just aren't interesting enough to be worthy of an autobiography, again with some exceptions.

generally, in most cases, they should wait until they have finished their careers, because as you say they are crap and the only reason to do it is to coin it in.

As a rule of thumb anything by Simon Kuper about football is well worth reading. Hugh Macilvaney's collection of articles from his columns in the Times and the Observer is also worth a look. Bobby Charlton's (auto)biographies by Matt Lawton are surprisingly good, very detailed.

agreed on Macilvaney's work, one of my favourite sports writers.