NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Massively underwhelmed by our summer transfers this year, shows a lack of ambition imo. Should have got at least another striker and defender but yet again we're left with minimal impact. Yes, it's good that we didn't lose any of our big players but at the same time we've not strengthened our position at all and in the grand scheme of things I can only see that being to our detriment what with the signings other teams around us have made. I think our lack of depth will show if spread out across the various competitions open to us, hopefully we'll still be able to hit the top 5-6 at the end of the season - if we don't then we've moved backwards.

I don't think the Football Manager craic is warranted mind.

You've admitted yourself you don't really follow football outside of Newcastle (as we can tell by you comparing the styles of Ben Arfa and Ronaldo ;)) and that's quite understandable, as after all you're a working parent that has young children so of course you don't have time for that.

Whereas there are a lot of people (myself included) who has always taken quite an interest in football from a worldwide perspective (global game and all that ;)), so I think it's a bit churlish to state that anybody who can comment on things due to having a wider perspective is just basing their opinion on Football Manager. I know Ant for example takes quite a big interest in Italian football as he has a soft spot for AC Meeeeeeeeeelan.

Pardew, Mike and Dekka were far too busy at the coal face desperately trying to fend off approaches for our stars from rival clubs to be able to make any signings.

... And meanwhile in here everyone were sad tedious little cunts of arrogant tossers on a power trip through a midlife crisis fannying about all day playing FM on iPads.... or OOT'rs with intimate knowledge of 1990s meat sellers.

Being positive I would say its hard to say how much Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton have improved compared to the squad they finished the season with, on paper I would say none of them have improved much at all.

Slightly disappointed if I'm honest. We've been crying out for a centre back for over a year now and with Taylor injured I was sure someone would come in. If Cisse or Ba get injured or if they beat the Ivory Coast were well an truely screwed in that position also. Can't rely on Shola to lead the line all through January (if he's even fit!)

Nonsense, at 23 years old Amalfitano has been bought as a fringe first team player and most likely for the prem, he was on the bench at Chelsea. You've never seen Good play so you dont know if he is capable or challenging Williamson and you rate Bigi, which is fine.

Signing competent ready players is not the idea if the first 11-15 players are more than good enough. In midfield we want players who are going to develop as Anita, Tiote and Cabaye are all top class, so the lads brought in this summer are good signings if they have potential to develop, which they do.

I cant believe we havent signed a RB and after Taylor's injury its even more ridiculous. However, we are stronger than last year (apart from during the ACN), we didnt use Best after Cisse arrived so who gives a fuck, Guthrie has been upgraded by Anita and we have 3 extra young players who are all straight into the senior squad.

I dont buy that everyone else has got miles better either. Some like Everton are marginally better but have lost depth, not gained it. This window is a missed opportunity to resolve the key weaknesses in the side and actually make us a genuine top 4 or 5 side. Its not a disaster though as we are stronger on the pitch than last season.

• Steven Taylor
  • Sylvain Marveaux
  • Vurnon Anita
  • Curtis Good
  • Romain Amalfitano
  • Bigi

The players we have lost who were capable of making a meaningful contribution to the first 11 are

• Guthrie
  • Best (and thats being generous)

Not including Lovenkrands or Forster as their departures are irrelevant to the qualities we have.

You can add to that list actually

• Extra half a season with Cisse
  • Extra half a season with a fit Ben Arfa with a pre-season under him.

Being positive I would say its hard to say how much Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Everton have improved compared to the squad they finished the season with, on paper I would say none of them have improved much at all.

Think they've all gone backwards a bit apart from Everton who I can see having a good season 5/6.

Best made 18 appearances last year Chez. Not sure how generous it is to say he'll be a miss if he played half the league games. Cisse's come in, so it's an improvement in that position....but without Lovenkrands for cover the squad is lighter.

Steven Taylor played almost a third of the season too. Counting injured players like him and Marveaux as new signings is generous. It assumes we won't get any injuries this year....you haven't included the loss of Raylor for example.

Last year was one of the most injury free I remember for Newcastle, we're banking on that again.

Would tie in with his gym patter all over again. Seem to remember him being laughed off the board the last time he claimed to bench 150kg :lol:

Just because you are a fat cunt who think you are stocky because you carry loads of excessive lard, doesnt mean there are people out there who fill out the shirt with - you know - decent muscle.

150 kilo bench is nothing special, I do a few reps of it pretty much every time Im at the gym.

if you train for it, will take you half a year tops.

I can see how it seems excessive to an obese male nurse though :lol:

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Pretty sure a lot on here said when the window opened that if we just didn't lose any big players it would be deemed a success.

We haven't and we've added 3 into the 1st team squad. We are stronger for that, even more so with players returning to fitness too.

Of course we all had an ideal...CB, RB and a striker whilst selling no big players is what we wanted and needed to properly have a go at the top 4 whilst being strong enough to compete in 3 cups.

We didn't get that but we stayed intact with a few other additions. MA has taken another gamble knowing we have a stronger squad and we are likely to get our targets at a cheaper price in January.

Who knows, some of the youngsters may stand up and prove to be ready. Tavernier and Vuckic.

Not the perfect window but I'm happy enough with it. Some of the reaction in here is borderline insane imo

Just because you are a fat cunt who think you are stocky because you carry loads of excessive lard, doesnt mean there are people out there who fill out the shirt with - you know - decent muscle.

150 kilo bench is nothing special, I do a few reps of it pretty much every time Im at the gym.

if you train for it, will take you half a year tops.

I can see how it seems excessive to an obese male nurse though :lol:

We can add in 'bitchy' to the growing list of evidence.