NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

I wouldn't mind seeing Gary Hooper in the black & white - the only team I'd sell to as a celtic fan

No offence, but most fans of the Old Firm teams over-estimate the quality of their players. I'm not sure how good he actually is. He's got a decent record, (1 in 2 or thereabouts?) but he's never played at this level and he'd come with an inflated fee because a ) he's British, b ) he's from a Champions League team and c ) people will point to his record as evidence he can do it in one of Europe's elite leagues

This joker ticked two out those 3 boxes as well.

AlfonsoAlvesACTION_468x497.jpg

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing Guthrie and Best for a combined £1.5m to a rival (albeit a fairly hopeless one) seems like madness to me. Sign Guthrie up for a few more years and cart Best out to Celtic if you're going to get rid.

Why?

Guthrie won't sign a new contract (supposedly) because he wants more game-time (fair enough) and why would Best be worth more than £1.5m? I'm not saying he isn't but it'd be hard for the club to demand much more than that for a player who doesn't play often and didn't cost much in the first place.

Also Eljero Elia has apparently said he regrets turning us down for Juventus last summer and a mention about it possibly happening this year instead.

Also Eljero Elia has apparently said he regrets turning us down for Juventus last summer and a mention about it possibly happening this year instead.

Source?

Is anyone else thinking we sohould sell Ba and bring in another winger that suits our 4-2-3-1 more? I feel wrong for thinking it because Ba has been great this season, but IMO it makes sense.

I would definitely like Elia...

Ben Arfa - Cisse - Elia would be insane.

Is anyone else thinking we sohould sell Ba and bring in another winger that suits our 4-2-3-1 more? I feel wrong for thinking it because Ba has been great this season, but IMO it makes sense.

I would definitely like Elia...

Ben Arfa - Cisse - Elia would be insane.

no, no one is thinking that

its not "one out one in" for fucks sake, if we sell Ba we have ONE striker at the level we want to be at

no, no one is thinking that

its not "one out one in" for fucks sake, if we sell Ba we have ONE striker at the level we want to be at

I think he makes a valid point unless you think Ba would be happy with a squad role?

Its part of being a team that plays in europe

you need a quality squad not just a quality 11.

we can't expect to be fine with 11 good players and then another 16 made up of youth and journeymen happy to sit on the bench for a wage.

2 wingers and 1 striker will not be enough for a full season, injuries, suspensions, fatigue etc will all happen

I think he makes a valid point unless you think Ba would be happy with a squad role?

Exactly, thats my point.

Is Ba best suited to a winger role? Definitely not.

Does Ba want to play there? Highly doubt it.

If we bring in a winger would Ba be happy on the bench? Course not.

If we bring in another winger, we would have to consider selling him.

Its part of being a team that plays in europe

you need a quality squad not just a quality 11.

we can't expect to be fine with 11 good players and then another 16 made up of youth and journeymen happy to sit on the bench for a wage.

2 wingers and 1 striker will not be enough for a full season, injuries, suspensions, fatigue etc will all happen

So do you think Ba will be happy starting on the bench?

I don't, I don't expect him to stay either if that's going to be the case, so I can see the logic in moving him on and bringing in someone more suited to playing wide left in the 4-3-3 role then bringing in a young guy as back up to Cisse.

Edited by Baggio

I think Ba is happy playing 1st team football for a vibrant football side that's not only guaranteed European football, but challenging for the Champions League. I think Ba will be happy starting a little wider and swapping roles with Cisse throughout the game (as he has been since we shifted to 4-3-3) as long as Cisse is scoring and Ba's getting scoring opportunities. The minute Cisse's form dries up sufficiently and the minute Ba is no longer getting a chance to score because of a tactical switch, that's when you'll see a player who's unhappy.

Right now, he's playing every week, he's adored by the fans, he's repaying the faith put in him by the management and the club and he's getting chances.

He's not looking to leave.

I think Ba is happy playing 1st team football for a vibrant football side that's not only guaranteed European football, but challenging for the Champions League. I think Ba will be happy starting a little wider and swapping roles with Cisse throughout the game (as he has been since we shifted to 4-3-3) as long as Cisse is scoring and Ba's getting scoring opportunities. The minute Cisse's form dries up sufficiently and the minute Ba is no longer getting a chance to score because of a tactical switch, that's when you'll see a player who's unhappy.

Right now, he's playing every week, he's adored by the fans, he's repaying the faith put in him by the management and the club and he's getting chances.

He's not looking to leave.

I think the point he was trying to make was by replacing Ba with someone more suited with playing wide left in a 4-3-3 we could improve our attack even further, which surely has to be our aim if we can?

I think Spurs will activate the buy out clause (presuming it exists) and that Ba will leave.

If Ba were to go we would need a striker and a winger to replace him imo. If he stays then a young player looking to push for either position would be ideal. The ACN is happening again this season isnt it?

Edited by RobH

When Ba went wide, we won 7 out of 9.

That barely needs improved.

Our great run at the start of the season was mostly with a strike partnership of Ba and Best up top, or how we've got so many clean sheets with Simpson a regular.

So using that logic, should we really be looking to replace any of these players?