NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

wages is directly correlated with success, not transfer fees. People in all walks of life move for money. There will come a point where if they/you want to progress further you have to pay the money, either to keep or replace with similar quality, but I'm not going to argue this point with you.

Lets hope we keep all our best players and add quality like we did in January, which showed how it is done. Interesting to see comments about Simpson and Guthrie. Personally I think as we are competing in 4 competitions next season I think we should keep both.

Not quite as simple as that is it? Otherwise the league table would simply be the highest payers at the top with the lowest at the bottom. Disagree with the need to keep them both without knowing who is coming in. We need a full back anyway. so if Simpson goes Id like to see us get two full backs. Guthrie played a part this season so if he goes Id like him replaced. Xisco, Smith, Ranger & Lovenkrands can go and not be replaced imo. If Best goes then I think we need a new forward to replace him. But decent.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not worth arguing because it's your usual utter garbage.

Wrong way round, success breeds the ability to pay higher wages.

how do you get that success in the first place?

shock horror, you both have a valid point

now both of you shut up

Ah Shola, he can frustrate the hell out of you, but we all love him deep down.

He's always had a special place in my heart since his debut when he came on and promptly pushed Dennis Wise to the ground

Ah Shola, he can frustrate the hell out of you, but we all love him deep down.

He's always had a special place in my heart since his debut when he came on and promptly pushed Dennis Wise to the ground

Part of the furniture now, selling him would be like changing the name of the ground...

Not quite as simple as that is it? Otherwise the league table would simply be the highest payers at the top with the lowest at the bottom. Disagree with the need to keep them both without knowing who is coming in. We need a full back anyway. so if Simpson goes Id like to see us get two full backs. Guthrie played a part this season so if he goes Id like him replaced. Xisco, Smith, Ranger & Lovenkrands can go and not be replaced imo. If Best goes then I think we need a new forward to replace him. But decent.

Generally speaking, over the history of football you will find that the highest payers are at the top and the lowest at the bottom though JawD. I agree with you that if the manager thinks he can replace Simpson and Guthrie and we get fees that he is happy with to sell them, but my main point is that the squad needs strengthening both in numbers and quality rather than decreased in terms of players.

No problem with Lovenkrands, Best or those other often mentioned others leaving the club as they have no further part to play and the sooner they go the better, although they too need replaced for the same reason as above. If we want to play in 3 cups next season without it having an adverse effect on league performance, we need these extra players. If he feels that Simpson and Guthrie cannot be replaced then they should offer them both better terms to stay.

Edited by LeazesMag

Generally speaking, over the history of football you will find that the highest payers are at the top and the lowest at the bottom though JawD. I agree with you that if the manager thinks he can replace Simpson and Guthrie and we get fees that he is happy with to sell them, but my main point is that the squad needs strengthening both in numbers and quality rather than decreased in terms of players.

No problem with Lovenkrands, Best or other notable often mentioned others leaving the club as they have no further part to play and the sooner they go the better, although they too need replaced for the same reason as above. If we want to play in 3 cups next season without it having an adverse effect on league performance, we need these extra players.

The main point I guess is that the squad needs to be stronger. I think we all agree with that. the only part we dont is that I think we need quality not quantity and you want both. Sure, in an ideal world we would have both but in a realistic world its unlikely.

how do you get that success in the first place?

shock horror, you both have a valid point

now both of you shut up

A good manager

How many succesfull companies/businesses start of paying top dollar salaries ???

I would add, we are the perfect example club of the falacy of his statement over the past 25 years or so.

As for the "shut up" - grow up. Is no-one allowed to respond to the loons posts anymore ???

Edited by Toonpack

Part of the furniture now, selling him would be like changing the name of the ground...

its strange how Ameobi has survived all these years, despite being a complete donkey for most of the time. He has became quite popular in the last year or so, probably because he hasn't played so much !!!! :lol:

He will get a testimonial now, a one club man, and will live in folklore for his goals against the mackems alone.

All 3 of them have had decent spells this season, especially Guthrie but I do wonder how much of that is down to Pardew getting the best out of them.

Llambias did say that Pardew wanted better coming off the bench so you can see the logic in cutting the squad players, Pardew seems to rate Simpson however to me he's the weakest link in the starting 11.

Edited by Baggio

The main point I guess is that the squad needs to be stronger. I think we all agree with that. the only part we dont is that I think we need quality not quantity and you want both. Sure, in an ideal world we would have both but in a realistic world its unlikely.

yes I agree but I think it is entirely realistic to expect them to put 2 new players straight into that team and thus increase the strength on the bench by 2 in the process.

Edited by LeazesMag

I think quality is

Well summarised really. I also think theres more chance of getting that quality too if we acquire at the rate you're referring to. ie How we've done recently, with intense research and planning.

What I would say is that I think positions need to be prioritised this time around given where we know we're thinly spread after two seasons up. ie the playing position of the target determines we move for the player now, rather than a clause in a contract sending a target to the top of the list irrespective of their position. I think that's the tweak needed this window in order to progress again.

A good manager

How many succesfull companies/businesses start of paying top dollar salaries ???

I would add, we are the perfect example club of the falacy of his statement over the past 25 years or so.

Beautifully well observed and why the argument is so badly served by reducing it to the simplistic levels it's often taken to on here. It's so much more than just paying top dollar alone; it's far more to do with ensuring that where top dollar is paid (if indeed it can be paid) that it has to be earned. Achieving that dynamic definitely needed a sea change at this club. At least we're moving in that direction.

I think people should wait and see if the club actually does make further progress from this point before proclaiming it before it happens.

Lets hope so.

its strange how Ameobi has survived all these years, despite being a complete donkey for most of the time. He has became quite popular in the last year or so, probably because he hasn't played so much !!!! :lol:

He will get a testimonial now, a one club man, and will live in folklore for his goals against the mackems alone.

To be fair, his worst crime is being at a club which has high expectations/demands of their strikers. He's had to play alongside/behind Shearer, Bellamy, Viduka, Owen, Martins and now Ba and Cisse. He's got an average striker rate in the Premier League and he'd probably have been a journeyman striker if he wasn't playing for his boyhood club. He's scored important goals and he loves banging them in against the mackems.

He'd be next to get a statue if it were up to me. Him, on a bike, balanced on his light up table, whilst wearing a hat and eating an apple, one gangly leg languorously volleying home a shot past the sunderland keeper. Mock one up for me @yourservice mate

To be fair, his worst crime is being at a club which has high expectations/demands of their strikers. He's had to play alongside/behind Shearer, Bellamy, Viduka, Owen, Martins and now Ba and Cisse. He's got an average striker rate in the Premier League and he'd probably have been a journeyman striker if he wasn't playing for his boyhood club. He's scored important goals and he loves banging them in against the mackems.

He'd be next to get a statue if it were up to me . Him, on a bike, balanced on his light up table, whilst wearing a hat and eating an apple, one gangly leg languorously volleying home a shot past the sunderland keeper. Mock one up for me @yourservice mate

:lol: good one.

I think people should wait and see if the club actually does make further progress from this point before proclaiming it before it happens.

Lets hope so.

Chances are that we won't in terms of league places, that is down to the strength and resources of the top clubs up and around us rather than because we're letting Simpson and Guthrie go tbf.

According to reports Tottenham Hotspur are in pole position to land Wigan Athletic winger Victor Moses.

Ladbrokes claims Moses may well be playing his last game for the Latics when they take on relegated Wolves at the DW Stadium.

It is understood that Spurs are leading the race for the Nigeria international given they are the most likely club to offer Champions League football.

Liverpool and Newcastle United are also believed to be in the running and the finishing place of the latter may well determine their bargaining power.

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/wigan-athletic-fc/1212362-spurs-lead-liverpool-and-newcastle-united-in-chase-for-wigan-athletic-ace-moses.html

Aye current team is full of crap isn't it !!!!

If you pay in peanuts, you must expect to get monkeys.

[1966 L. Coulthard in Director Aug. 228]

Getting defensive over an idiom that's over half a century old.

Jesus wept.

Getting defensive over an idiom that's over half a century old.

Jesus wept.

Whoa, I thought we'd agreed not to abuse the bloke. Out of order for a mod, particularly the ageist stuff.