Newcastle & European Qualification

loonyTOON

So i've been trying to work out how we could qualify for Europe after last night's FA Cup games.

Now I could be completely wrong with this, so please feel free to correct me. At the moment, 5th place get a Europa League position. 6th place in the league will get a spot in the competition if both teams in cup competitions have already qualified for Europe. So Newcastle can qualify for Europa league in 6th place if Liverpool beat Everton and meet Chesea/Tottenham in the final. If Liverpool lose, then we cannot qualify in 6th.

Thoughts?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So i've been trying to work out how we could qualify for Europe after last night's FA Cup games.

Now I could be completely wrong with this, so please feel free to correct me. At the moment, 5th place get a Europa League position. 6th place in the league will get a spot in the competition if both teams in cup competitions have already qualified for Europe. So Newcastle can qualify for Europa league in 6th place if Liverpool beat Everton and meet Chesea/Tottenham in the final. If Liverpool lose, then we cannot qualify in 6th.

Thoughts?

if the club finish 6th they will be in the Europa Cup. If they finish 7th they will also be in unless Everton reach the FA Cup Final [assuming its Liverpool who overtake us in the league].

Thoughts?

if the club finish 6th they will be in the Europa Cup. If they finish 7th they will also be in unless Everton reach the FA Cup Final [assuming its Liverpool who overtake us in the league].

According to wiki (not that reliable), its only 6th that get.

Thoughts?

sorry, 5th

Thoughts?

If 3 teams get places, then it is the 5th in the league, FA Cup Winners and League Cup winners who are normally nominated for the places. UEFA don't usually go against the nominated clubs. As Liverpool have already qualified by virtue of winning the League Cup against a lower division team, the overtaking us will be irrelevant, although if they don't win on sunday its unlikely now they would catch us anyway.

That leaves Chelsea 5th [probably], us and Liverpool [as FA Cup winners and already qualified]. Chelsea have already qualified if they win the FA Cup [any are still in the Champions League] or Spurs [who will finish 4th or maybe 3rd in the premiership]

If they nominate less than 3 clubs then feel free to say this is wrong, but I'm presuming they nominate 3 teams.

Therefore the only scenario that can stop us is Chelsea finishing 5th, and Everton playing in the FA Cup Final alongside Liverpool who have already qualified.

Edited by LeazesMag

Dream situation would be for us to finish 5th, Chelsea to drop to 6th and lose in the final to Everton.

Chelsea then don't even get a European spot.

Edit...unless they win the Champions league, in which case we could even miss out finishing 5th, I think!

Edited by BigWalrus

We would qualify for the Europa League if:

1) We finish 5th

2) We finish 6th and Everton don't play in the final

3) We finish 7th and Everton don't play in the final

4) We finish 7th, Everton play in the final but Chelsea win the Champions league

Is that right?

If Liverpool beat Everton then we get Europe as long as we finish in the top 7.

If we finish 6th above Liverpool but Everton get to the final, then 5th will get Uefa cup football along with Liverpool and Everton.

If Chelsea win the Champions League, but finish 6th in the Premiership, and Everton win the cup, we'd need to finish 4th to qualify for the Europa League.

CL places to top 3 plus Chelsea

Europa League places to Everton and Liverpool for winning the two cups.

Europa place to 4th place in the league.

5th may not be good enough, although that's quite an unlikely scenario.

I thought after the Liverpool fiasco a few year ago after winning the Champs League and not qualifying for the Champions League via the Prem which meant having to be put in at the earliest round, that even if you win the Champions League and dont qualify for it via the Prem you dont get into the Champions League?

Just read that back and make what sense of it you will

Guest CabayeAye

Chelsea winning the CL doesn't affect us as long as they finish in the top 5 (or 6 if Everton don't get to the FA cup final). If they win it and finish 5th, the 4th place team go into the Europa league and Chelsea qualify for the CL. 6th would still be the FA cup place provided Everton didn't make the final and 7th will get you Europe too provided the corpse robbers finish top 6.

Chelsea winning the CL doesn't affect us as long as they finish in the top 5 (or 6 if Everton don't get to the FA cup final). If they win it and finish 5th, the 4th place team go into the Europa league and Chelsea qualify for the CL. 6th would still be the FA cup place provided Everton didn't make the final and 7th will get you Europe too provided the corpse robbers finish top 6.

if Everton lose to Liverpool in the FA Cup then we will be in the Europa whatever combination of other results. Its as simple as that really, what a load of fuss.

The FA cup runner up only receives the Europa League place if the cup winner qualifies for the Champions League

I.e. If chelsea finish 5th and beat Everton in the final, 6th would be a Europa league spot?