Newcastle & European Qualification

loonyTOON

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what like, with the way Everton are going atm they will beat Liverpool in the FA Cup meaning we need to finish an unlikely 5th.

Tell you what like, with the way Everton are going atm they will beat Liverpool in the FA Cup meaning we need to finish an unlikely 5th.

I think the thing going for us is Liverpool are a good cup team, they won't be fazed by Wembley and usually come out better of the Merseyside games.

Tell you what mind....

Just had a look at our next four fixtures compred to Chelseas and it could be a very interesting story come the end of April if we can keep calm and carry on.

Not only do they have some London derbies in there but they also have the FA cup final and Champions league.

Our final 3 games probably make a CL push just that little bit too far but fifth could be ours.

Spurs have a pretty easy run in.

We've got...

Swansea

Bolton (H)

Stoke (H)

Wigan

Chelsea

Man City (H)

Everton

Spurs have...

Sunderland

Norwich (H)

QPR

Blackburn (H)

Bolton

Villa

Fulham (H)

Arsenal...

Man City (H)

Wolves

Wigan (H)

Chelsea (H)

Stoke

Norwich (H)

WBA

Chelsea...

Wigan (H)

Fulham

Arsenal

QPR (H)

Newcastle (H)

Liverpool

Blackburn (H)

Away to Swansea, home to Bolton, Wigan and Stoke. 3 points at each of them is a must.

Away to Everton last game is tricky, Also Chelsea at the bridge and Man City at Home.... 13 points say gives us 66....the funny thing is we didnt break 70 points the last time we finished in the top 4, 69 points was good enough for 3rd in 2003....looks like we're coming into form nicely though after an "iffy" few months following the twatting of manu. I dont think we're ready for Europe though, I'd prefer to wait till next season when the squad might be a bit stronger.....

Away to Swansea, home to Bolton, Wigan and Stoke. 3 points at each of them is a must.

Away to Everton last game is tricky, Also Chelsea at the bridge and Man City at Home.... 13 points say gives us 66....the funny thing is we didnt break 70 points the last time we finished in the top 4, 69 points was good enough for 3rd in 2003....looks like we're coming into form nicely though after an "iffy" few months following the twatting of manu. I dont think we're ready for Europe though, I'd prefer to wait till next season when the squad might be a bit stronger.....

On your last point I strongly disagree. If we don't make Europe this season it could conceivably be an excuse for letting go of some players, where-as if we do make it the (albeit small) increase in revenue will hopefully fund some inbound movement, or at the very least make departures less likely.

Plus, I'd never say no to any form of Europe as it increases our continental profile and provides additional options for the development of promising young players who otherwise aren't seeing enough competitive football.

Edited by OTF

On your last point I strongly disagree. If we don't make Europe this season it could conceivably be an excuse for letting go of some players, where-as if we do make it the (albeit small) increase in revenue will hopefully fund some inbound movement, or at the very least make departures less likely.

Plus, I'd never say no to any form of Europe as it increases our continental profile and provides additional options for the development of promising young players who otherwise aren't seeing enough competitive football.

We'd have to get to the semi finals at least to make it worth our while iyam and with teams dropping out of the champs league at the last 16 stage its a tal iorder. I'm a bit ambivalent really, I have been to some dodgy old places to watch us play...Palermo,Troyes,Lokeren, etc etc and loved every minute of it, as well as the likes of Milan & Barca...I do love european games but I just think the squad wont be strong enough to cope. Llambias has already mentioned making the squad smaller but with more quality on the bench. Thats not what we need with potentially 8 extra games before christmas. But I'll wait and see. I didnt expect Colo or Krul to sign new deals. A lot of things have happened this season that I didnt think would come to pass so wtf do I know? :)

Or win them all and hope that Chelsea drop points.

You fucking pessimist. ;)

Im no pessimist. I was just looking at confirming 6th by seeing how many points were currently are ahead of 7th.

We'd have to get to the semi finals at least to make it worth our while iyam and with teams dropping out of the champs league at the last 16 stage its a tal iorder. I'm a bit ambivalent really, I have been to some dodgy old places to watch us play...Palermo,Troyes,Lokeren, etc etc and loved every minute of it, as well as the likes of Milan & Barca...I do love european games but I just think the squad wont be strong enough to cope. Llambias has already mentioned making the squad smaller but with more quality on the bench. Thats not what we need with potentially 8 extra games before christmas. But I'll wait and see. I didnt expect Colo or Krul to sign new deals. A lot of things have happened this season that I didnt think would come to pass so wtf do I know? :)

I don't think that's the case. The prize money isn't particularly grand, but the increased ticket revenue for home games should be a significant amount. Certainly you don't end up behind on being involved. And like I've said it can't harm our European profile which in turn keeps us on the radar.

I really wish they'd do away with sticking the Champions League drop outs into the Europa League, I don't think there would be much argument about that from the Champions league qualified teams either. I'm sure they do it to increase the profile of the Europa league but it can be a little counter intuitive if the teams involve don't give two hoots about it regardless of the stature of the club.

I'd love us to get back into Europe, exciting times they were. Can only make the image of the team more attractive, in so far as recruiting quality players.

Edited by Ausman

I can't see any downside to Europe and think it would be great for the club on many levels.

Feelgood all round that will help recruitment, season ticket sales, Club standing and let's not forget Ashley will get lots of exposure for SD and get to enjoy exciting European nights. All helpful to keeping him on board and in the right frame of mind to continue our upward climb.

I can't see any downside to Europe and think it would be great for the club on many levels.

Feelgood all round that will help recruitment, season ticket sales, Club standing and let's not forget Ashley will get lots of exposure for SD and get to enjoy exciting European nights. All helpful to keeping him on board and in the right frame of mind to continue our upward climb.

ok..say we dont win any games after returning from european trips next season and finish 12th. That would be hugely disappointing for me after this season. We dont really need europa league football at this stage iyam. Good players are coming here regardless.