Newcastle United V Bolton Wanderers Easter Monday Kick Off 3pm

Christmas Tree

There are better players out there, but if we can keep him happy on a low(er) wage and few(er) appearances we shouldn't get rid for the sake of it. We've a small squad that's been stretched to the limit this season.

Totally underestimating the player imo.

He has played really well in the 433 and played excellent when covering for Tiote earlier in the season.

If Pardew sticks with him in this role I think he will get better and better.

I don't think I am underestimating him at all, in fact I don't mention his ability at all.

However, there are far better midfielders out there, so we shouldn't get rid until we've got one.

He's an average mid-table centre mid. Decent engine, decent passing, decent in the tackle, decent shot but doesn't excel at anything.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's a canny player and I'd like him to stay but if he wants 1st team football he's right to leave imo because he won't get a game when everyone's fit (nor should he). I don't see him getting better and better though. He's a decent footballer with limited attributes in terms of pace, athleticism and engine, he's also been around a bit and has plenty of experience and isn't that young (25 I think). I just don't see any scope for much improvement.

I think his only competition in the 433 is Jonas???? and thats debatable.

Both offer different things although I prefer Jonas there. Ideally I'd like to see what Vuckic could do there though if we're playing a 3. I think the 3 suits Guthrie though. I would probably only play 433 at home though and even then not against all the opposition. That's a different debate though I suppose.

I think he goes missing too often and he's too slow. He's not bad, but say we get in the top four is he really the type of player you want to be first off the bench in midfield? I remember when he had his court case last year and he had to give an income and expenditure form, he was on about 4k a week. That's attractive for Ashley, but he's going to want at least four times that in his new contract, and in my view his tortoise like movement of the ball hinders our play, especially with our counter attacking away from home. He was good against Liverpool because he sat a lot with Tiote and let the other lads get on with it, for me though I won't be shedding any tears when he leaves. I think he's lower Premiership standard, we are no longer lower Premiership.

I think he goes missing too often and he's too slow. He's not bad, but say we get in the top four is he really the type of player you want to be first off the bench in midfield? I remember when he had his court case last year and he had to give an income and expenditure form, he was on about 4k a week. That's attractive for Ashley, but he's going to want at least four times that in his new contract, and in my view his tortoise like movement of the ball hinders our play, especially with our counter attacking away from home. He was good against Liverpool because he sat a lot with Tiote and let the other lads get on with it, for me though I won't be shedding any tears when he leaves. I think he's lower Premiership standard, we are no longer lower Premiership.

Agreed. Flog him for £3-4 million, find a replacement with that cash or give Abeid/Vuckic/Gosling more game time.

Agreed. Flog him for £3-4 million, find a replacement with that cash or give Abeid/Vuckic/Gosling more game time.

Me mate watches the Reserves and 18s all the time, he reckons Abeid and Campbell will become Premiership stars within 3/4 years.

Me mate watches the Reserves and 18s all the time, he reckons Abeid and Campbell will become Premiership stars within 3/4 years.

Heard that about Abeid loads of times. They might just flog Guthrie and give him more game time.

Would be happy with that. Guthrie's perfectly capable of filling in at CM but he's never going to be a starter for us.

Give someone like Abeid a go during preseason so they can take his place in the first team when the inevitable injury plague descends next season.

Why? He's not as good as Cabaye, Tiote or Jonas.

Well as I've said I think he's better in the midfield 3 than Jonas. He helped us dominate Liverpool.

I'm not saying he's a world beater but he was excellent deputising for Tiote.

To think one of these youngsters is suddenly going to step up seems quite premature. Hopefully they will fulfill their potential but as Stevies friend says, they are possibly a few years off from that point.

Having him and Tiote anchor the back allowing Cabaye to sit in behind the front three is the dream scenario for me in the current set up.

3 or 4 million is peanuts for a player who is currently performing well and will probably get even better under Pardews stewardship not to mention what he'll pick up playing regularly with Tiote and Cabaye.

any opinion you offer now on Jonas though is completely without integrity

it has been since you've basically argued for every winger who has played for us to replace him in the first team

Why? He's not as good as Cabaye, Tiote or Jonas.

Well as I've said I think he's better in the midfield 3 than Jonas. He helped us dominate Liverpool.

I'm not saying he's a world beater but he was excellent deputising for Tiote.

To think one of these youngsters is suddenly going to step up seems quite premature. Hopefully they will fulfill their potential but as Stevies friend says, they are possibly a few years off from that point.

Having him and Tiote anchor the back allowing Cabaye to sit in behind the front three is the dream scenario for me in the current set up.

3 or 4 million is peanuts for a player who is currently performing well and will probably get even better under Pardews stewardship not to mention what he'll pick up playing regularly with Tiote and Cabaye.

Guthrie is slow, can't tackle and doesn't have much of an engine. Basically, he's got nothing he needs to be in the Tiote role with him. Cabaye was the one playing more defensively when Tiote was away anyway.

There's not a significant difference in the age of Cabaye, Tiote & Guthrie & certainly not one that would excuse the gulf in class. Guthrie is a good player although for me he isn't consistent enough & for what he wants he's probably best moving on as he wont be happy on the bench.

He could do a decent job as a squad man, acting as cover for injuries or coming in when the system changes but for now I really don't see the appeal, besides we can't exactly say we are going to play 4-3-3 all the time which renders the argument invalid to an extent.

I'd rather have Jonas there for a start as it's not strictly a central role anyway, nothing is as plain as that.

Guthrie needs to be at peak fitness or else he's utterly paggered by about 60 mins in and since he picks up knocks quite regularly he's rarely at top fitness.

I don't like when it's only Guthrie and Cabaye as Cabaye drops deeper because Guthrie stays high up the pitch, which is why we didn't see many of the balls we've seen from Cabaye in recent weeks in the period that Tiote was away.

He's canny in the midfield 3 as Tiote sitting deep allows Cabaye to also push forward but if Vuckic or Abeid make the step up (which really isn't unrealistic), we'd not miss him. Vuckic is ready to step up tbh, his performances for Cardiff and his start against West Brom show he's capable he'd do well in the midfield 3 tbh.

Guthrie really isn't anything special and if what Tom says about him rejecting a £20k a week contract is true then it looks like he's already decided to go tbh because he's not worth more than that to us.

Edited by Howay

Jonas' movement and work-rate is a huge asset to us when he's playing centrally in a three. I'm a fan of Guthrie as well, but we need this from Jonas and Tiote as they know when to cover when Ben Arfa or Ba are further up the field.

Jonas is quite a clever footballer as well, something we he doesn't get enough credit for.

if we're playing a midfield 3 it needs to be a defender, a creator and someone with the engine to support both for a full game

to me its really obvious who on our squad slots into each of those