England

LeazesMag

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me the players who done well for Portugal this tournament? It's a pretty much universally agreed fact that Portugal are where they are BECAUSE of Ronaldo. Nee other fucker has had a shot on target in 4 games :lol:

well 3 other players have scored goals so...

Meireles is a far better player than Scott Parker. Ronaldo's better than Rooney, Postiga's a more comPlete player than Welbeck & Carroll.

We build all our players up to believe they're world class when in reality we have no World class players. The last one we did was Beckham & before him Shearer.

I look at England in a similar light to Newcastle. Not too disheartened when we lose providing we've applied ourselves.

With what we have, we reached the exact level (QF's) that we should have. No more, no less.

Football's not played on paper or on the end of a broadband connection.....Portugal have looked a far better team than Engalnd iyam.

It's an insult to peoples intelligence to say Portugal have one good player. J69 is like this forums version of Frank Spencer when it comes to football knowledge, no matter how hard he tries he makes it worse and worse when you believe it can't get worse than it already is.

They have good players right through the team, Conterao is pure class, Pepe while being a cunt is class, they wouldn't play for Real Madrid (and get their game) if they weren't.

Meireles is a far better player than Scott Parker. Ronaldo's better than Rooney, Postiga's a more comPlete player than Welbeck & Carroll.

We build all our players up to believe they're world class when in reality we have no World class players. The last one we did was Beckham & before him Shearer.

I look at England in a similar light to Newcastle. Not too disheartened when we lose providing we've applied ourselves.

With what we have, we reached the exact level (QF's) that we should have. No more, no less.

I think that's a good post although Gerrard at his peak was world class, and for a while Rio Ferdinand imo.

The recalibration of expectations of the press and Twitterati that allows people to complain, no matter what we do, is frustrating to watch.

We exceeded expectations in the Euro's. We won the group people expected us to get knocked out of. We didn't lose a game. We had the third best goal difference across all of the groups. We have a very limited group of players at the moment, particularly missing players with any attacking flair.

Going from moaning that we won't get out of the groups, and will be lucky to win a point, to moaning that we won't win the competition is progress Hodgson should be happy with.

I think to view this tournament in isolation in such black and white terms is more difficult in practice.

I too expected little of this England team, and I'm pleased they surpassed my expectations.

However that doesn't prevent me from being disappointed with the wider issues, namely why I had such low expectations in the first place!

I think to view this tournament in isolation in such black and white terms is more difficult in practice.

I too expected little of this England team, and I'm pleased they surpassed my expectations.

However that doesn't prevent me from being disappointed with the wider issues, namely why I had such low expectations in the first place!

Absolutley.

It's an institutional, organisational, cultural issue that needs reform and did so before as much as it does after.

Which is why the squad/manager getting a load of stick is daft. Only Rooney and Young played below their standards.

It's an insult to peoples intelligence to say Portugal have one good player. J69 is like this forums version of Frank Spencer when it comes to football knowledge, no matter how hard he tries he makes it worse and worse when you believe it can't get worse than it already is.

They have good players right through the team, Conterao is pure class, Pepe while being a cunt is class, they wouldn't play for Real Madrid (and get their game) if they weren't.

I know you like to think of yourself as the font of all knowledge when it comes to football but your early tournament predictions say otherwise. I seem to recall you saying Germany were shit :lol:

Absolutley.

It's an institutional, organisational, cultural issue that needs reform and did so before as much as it does after.

Which is why the squad/manager getting a load of stick is daft. Only Rooney and Young played below their standards.

I thought that most of the criticism was why we had such a squad rather than being aimed at the squad itself.

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere but it was a great decision to take John Terry over Rio Ferdinand, morality aside. I thought he was finished as both a player and a person but he proved me wrong in his four games. Unfortunately he'll be nowhere to be seen come World Cup 2014 so hopefully Lescott and Smalling (!!??) will take over.

I'd definitely say we have a top 4 defence and goalkeeper but fall way short of Spain and Germany offensively. The core of a good squad is there but making that step up to being a great squad is at least 8 years off.

When does his court case start? I'm banking on it tiding us over between the end of Euro 2012 and the Olympics.

When does his court case start? I'm banking on it tiding us over between the end of Euro 2012 and the Olympics.

Hahaha it is as well July 12th or summik int it?

Terry was good in the tournament like, Ferdinand didn't deserve to go cos hes had loads of injuries and isn't at the level he used to be.

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere but it was a great decision to take John Terry over Rio Ferdinand, morality aside. I thought he was finished as both a player and a person but he proved me wrong in his four games.

Completely agree. Great selection by Hodgson. Bar when he got found out a bit that he cannae run for shit against Sweden, he was cracking.

Morality aside... of course ;)

berk. haven't heard that word in ages. think i'm going to start using it more in conversation.

i was at a dinner party the other night where some one made the nob head sign. haven't seen that since the 80s i don't think. total blast from the past.

:lol: What's the point in that?

"Not only is he a 'fucking black cunt', as my client Mr Terry quite rightly pointed out on the video m'lud, he's a bad character too."

What sort of a defence is that?

Completely agree. Great selection by Hodgson. Bar when he got found out a bit that he cannae run for shit against Sweden, he was cracking.

Morality aside... of course ;)

i was wondering though if one of the main reasons we defended so deep was because of terry's complete lack of pace. he's alright with the play in front of him because he reads it so well but gets found out with the ball over the top. i'd drop him for that reason alone. our defensive line was about 20 yards too deep through out the tournament. at times we were just in front of hart with the midfielders holding their line of four on the 18 yard line. bonkers way to set up tbh.

Edited by Dr Gloom

i was wodnering though if one of the main reasons we defended so deep was because of terry's complete lack of pace. he's alright with the play in frotn of him because he reads it so well but gets found out with the ball over the top. i'd drop him for that reason alone. our defensice line was about 20 yards too deep through out the tournament. at times we were just in front of hart with the midfielders holding their line of four on the 18 yard line. bonkers way to set up tbh.

Yes, I would agree that that suggestion is entirely plausible. Though to have two clean sheets (penalties don't count!) and a total of 3 goals conceded in 4 games isn't a terrible defensive record. I would say on the issue of the defensive set up that Terry did well at what he was told to do, but, as you say, what he and the other defenders were told to do wasn't exactly ideal. I would think that once the younger generation get bled in, with Smalling etc., we'll see that line pushed up more... well I'm hoping. Im sure i heard a statistic towards the end of the Italian game that blew my mind: we had only been successful catching someone offside once in all of the 4 games we played.

Edited by ADP

:lol: What's the point in that?

"Not only is he a 'fucking black cunt', as my client Mr Terry quite rightly pointed out on the video m'lud, he's a bad character too."

What sort of a defence is that?

The sheer audacity at John fucking Terry citing someone else as a bad character too! What an absolute arsewipe. :lol: