Mathieu Debuchy

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the talk of his crossing being better than Simpson, not one of his balls in this video find a team-mate in the box.

Poor fuckers not even played yet and you're already slating him! ;)

Edited by trophyshy

Poor fuckers not even played yet and you're already slating him! ;)

Sorry. Just commenting on what I've been browsing. I am very happy he's here.

Never joined in with the slating of Simpson for his crossing which I thought was harsh. Think all the talk of Debuchy's crossing ability the past few months has made me look back on the Euros with rose tinted specs. Those games are all i've saw of him and looking back at them now his crossing wasn't all that.

He's probably got dozens of assists otherwise.

For all the talk of his crossing being better than Simpson, not one of his balls in this video find a team-mate in the box.

Aye but did you notice how few of them hit the first man! A few of them were very decent balls too just France weren't getting enough men into the box.

I'm sure you could have found a better compilation to post too!

Aye but did you notice how few of them hit the first man! A few of them were very decent balls too just France weren't getting enough men into the box.

Nah, I was disappointed how few Debuchy vids there were on Youtube.

Watching the QPR game I was really happy with the number of balls that were being put in, but frustrated we had no-one arriving in the box to convert them. i would tend to agree that as long as balls are being put into dangerous areas, even if a striker dowesn't arrive, then it'll come good at some point. I was surprised to read the match thread later though and people were hammering Guitirrez et al for the quality of the crossing.

Anyway, he's had 8 career assists in 244 games*/**, all competitions, so I'm holding out hope on his defensive play and his support to the right winger much more than his own deliveries.

*Simpson has 4 in 177

**Ashley Cole supplied 8 last season alone.

I'm sure I read somewhere that he had like four or five last season. Mind you I also read that he'd been converted from a winger so if what you say is true he must have had a truly awful record there.

Mind you, as someone said in another thread the other day, the assist stat can be very misleading. You can have a massive part in a goal without playing the last pass or you can lay off a little ball to HBA and he can beat four players before twatting it in. One you would get an assist for and one you wouldn't but your importance would be a lot more on the first one.

Don't know about that (your the statto not me ;) ) but I wouldn't really be expecting a load of assists from a fullback just that he's able to contribute to the attack which is something that Simpson (imo) is totally incapable of. As well as defending.

Agreed, I would expect Debuchy to offer lots more to the right wing and keep the opposition left side much more on their toes and concerned about the pairing.

Just raised it specifically in response to the gushing that there has been over the quality of his crossing, for example....

We'd have had a field day if we had a right back who could attack or put a decent cross in. Not signing debuchy was a massive fuck up. Its costing us massively

Think expectations might be too high if they're expecting an Ashley Cole type, teeing up goals week in, week out.

I would agree that anyone expecting him to set up goals on a regular basis is kidding themselves but I would think (and I have nothing to back this up) that most of the assists Cole had last season weren't from him whipping balls in. I think what people are expecting from Debuchy is he will get a fair few balls into the box (and not constantly hit the first man like Wilson). Even that comp that you posted showed him doing that. And if he can do that you would hope that some of them would eventually (maybe not a direct assist from him) lead to a goal or chance. Very few (if any) of Simpson's deliveries ever do that.

Lets remember he's never played in England btw. Took Ben Arfa 6-12 months to look anywhere near as good as he is

Yet Cabaye and Tiote settled instantly.

Plus Ben Arfa was dynamite when he first signed under Hughton, it was just a change of circumstances that took him to settle. Return from a career threatening injury, buying into Pardew's ethos etc.

Yet Cabaye and Tiote settled instantly.

Plus Ben Arfa was dynamite when he first signed under Hughton, it was just a change of circumstances that took him to settle. Return from a career threatening injury, buying into Pardew's ethos etc.

So are you arguing that players from other leagues don't usually take time to settle into the pace of the premiership?

I'm not saying that at all so there's no need to get on the defensive. All I was saying is that there are examples where players can slot in straight away.

So are you arguing that players from other leagues don't usually take time to settle into the pace of the premiership?

They are not allowed time to settle, that's why Enrique and Colo (and Anita for that matter) were branded shite by many early doors.

There's a difference between saying someone had a shit game and being labelled shit.

Not sure anyone here has written off anyone with the potential to improve from our squad, but it's all well and good to say "Ben Arfa was shite today" last year....or "Anita was shite today" this year, without saying they're a waste of money.

it took cabaye a few months before he started showing his true quality. he wasn't that impressive at first, but then you wouldn't expect that to be the case as the premiership is the quickest league in the world. same applies to debuchy.

we could do with him being one of those signings that hits the ground running though, the situation we find ourselves in.

it took cabaye a few months before he started showing his true quality. he wasn't that impressive at first, but then you wouldn't expect that to be the case as the premiership is the quickest league in the world. same applies to debuchy.

we could do with him being one of those signings that hits the ground running though, the situation we find ourselves in.

He ran the show when I went to watch us away at Villa Park in one of his earlier games. I think he adapted quite quickly, he like many others though showed his best performances when we switched to a 4-3-3 and he was playing in a more advanced position. Hopefully he gets played there on his return. I also think we've massively missed his work rate and ability in defending from the front whilst he has been out injured.