Euro 2012 Catch-all Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope whoever plays spain absolutely tanks them, properly started to bore the balls of me

Aye they've been really dull most the tournament tbh, someone said it best earlier in the thread when they mentioned they look more like Swansea than Barca.

They werent particularly ticy tacka tonight, they played some nice stuff at times, especially in extra time.

"OMG Spain are boring" is the latest fashionable bullshit for sheep to spout.

I think this is partially right....and the twats on the bbc lead the way in seeing the game in strictly "great/shite" terms. It was hardly a classic, but Spain were too heavily criticised and not enough credit was given to how Portugal played. Hansen,Shearer and Linekar are like fuckin cheerleading fan boys half the time, and theyve all played at the highest level. Lee Dixon talks the most sense, a lone voice of sanity. But even he didnt point out that Portugal were out on their feet in ET and gave Spain a lot more space, rather than Spain suddenly upping their game being the only factor in their improved performance.

Edited by PaddockLad

Spain miss David Villa as much as Barca do.....and Xavi is knocking on a bit now, which I think affects the team just as much. He used to be able to skip past a pressing player and still get a pass away to continue a move, but now he's lost that ability a bit. A lot of the play goes through Alonso now and he's less attacking by nature then Xavi. Playing Busquets alongside Alonso is having an effect as well, Marcos Senna did their job on his own 4 years ago.

Annoys me when idiots like Guillem Bageuele (sp?) says anyone who thinks Spain are boring are just jealous. No dick head, not jealous in the slightest just want to watch a good football match, not death by 1000 passes. I'm all for 'carpet football' but it's like they actually don't want to score

Annoys me when idiots like Guillem Bageuele (sp?) says anyone who thinks Spain are boring are just jealous. No dick head, not jealous in the slightest just want to watch a good football match, not death by 1000 passes. I'm all for 'carpet football' but it's like they actually don't want to score

Yep. It fine to call Swansea boring as fuck for passing everywhere but forward, but Spain play 6 midfielders and do it and they are infallible. Pedro and Llorente on the bench too. What happened to the 4231 Spain championed in 2010 and we're revered for? I hope Germany get to the final and tonk them. Genuinely good, exciting, attacking football

They werent particularly ticy tacka tonight, they played some nice stuff at times, especially in extra time.

It's the latest fashionable bullshit because it's true though. It's not like lets say what everyone else is saying, they're not exciting, neither are Italy, it says it all when Germany out of the decent sides are the most exciting to watch. Still think Spain will win it.

Xavi could go for a shite and the commentators would be like "look at that, he makes it look so easy, you'll remember that shite in 20 years time." Sick of Spain now, but I see them winning this and the next World Cup.

If the Argies get their act together i fancy them for the world cup myself

I'd say they're definite second favourites. I may even lay Brazil on betfair. Look at their squad compared to Argentina and Spain. Brazil have been pretty shite for nearly 10 years now.

The thing is, is a "good football match" two shite defences and it ending 4-3, or is it Italy not giving England a kick the other night and it ending nowts each? Last night was a different sort of nil nil, and it was pretty dull to be fair. But it was widely predicted that Spain weren't going to be what they were before a ball was kicked this month. Thats proven to be the case, but again the opponenents aren't being given any credit. Italy did that rare thing and actually scored against them. It looks like the absence of Villa and the midfield not being what it was has allowed sides to stop them from scoring as freely as in the last two tournaments. If that makes them less attractive fair enough, but theyre still unbleiveably hard to break down, which again isnt easy on the eye but is certainly good football.

Mad that ronaldo didn't get to take one. Your best pen taker should go first for precisely that reason

He misses all the time in big games. He missed one in the Champions League Final against Chelsea. You just knew Spain were going to win, I bet they thought they'd win the pens. Tonight though you have two arrogant bastard countries, it's hard to call.

Playing without a natural centre forward is ridiculous and it's a whole new breed of anti football that I hope doesn't see them win the tournament.

It'll be akin to when Greece won it by parking the bus - Del Bosque is trying to be clever and win ugly in a beautiful guise. It's absolutely criminal that Torres isn't getting a look in when he scored a brace against Ireland and looked fairly handy towards the latter stages of the season, whilst Fabregas (who has been absolutely anonymous all tournament long) keeps getting the nod for the 'striker' role.

I'd fancy the winner of tonight's match to go on and win the whole thing, the Spanish look knackered and there for the taking. If Portugal had a half-decent striker and Ronaldo didn't have such a self-absorbed, wasteful game then they would've nicked a goal.

It can be extremely skillful, impressive, effective and boring too. It is all of those things. that's not fashionable, that's just fact. When you're playing 4-6-0 you're not going to get the goal mouth action that provides the greatest excitement in a game.

I think some commentators go overboard both ways. Spain are brilliant at holding the ball, but they're paid so much respect by many teams who sit back and are happy to let them have it on the half way line that it's self-fulfilling that they then string together huge numbers of passes back and forth. Spunking over their possession and passes is not so appropriate when teams know the best way to get a result is to let them have the ball and hit them on the break.

That said, their effectiveness at holding the ball is indeed better than any other country by miles. Portugal did what very few teams do and kept pushing them. For a while it worked. They were winning the ball back more than most usually do and creating more attacking opportunities....but that chasing left them completely fucked.

I'll slightly modify my previous post - if you find it boring than that's just what you think. But I just feel that this description of them passing everywhere but forward and never trying to score is overstated. They are trying to create, but without bombing forward gung ho and then losing possession.

I'm not a Spain/TT fanboy or owt, I know that it's easy to have impressive passing stats when you're passing it five yards every ten seconds. I do find it a bit frustrating when they take a short corner and fourteen passes later it's back with their keeper.

But this idea that they're anti football and don't attack is an easy one to perpetuate without being that true. I think that teams who have tried to emulate them, without being as good at it have contributed to this belief. Mention Swansea on here and what do you get? Jokes, scorn, some sort of inverse snobbery about how the game should be played. Spain are the masters of this style and just keep on winning.