The Olympic Torch

catmag

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to take the family to Whitley to watch it ( under protest).

Good excuse to hit Nicholsons butchers though- steaks, lamb shanks, black pud, and bacon.

Meat weekend!

Get onto their stuffed chicken leg/thigh gizmos .

Had them last week. Think it's a blackpudding type sausagemeat stuffing and they're pre-marinaded.

Top fayre slim.

Coming through Darlington today, by the worst route imaginable.

They've even snubbed the town center and are just going round the ring road. Cunts.

Coming through Darlington today, by the worst route imaginable.

They've even snubbed the town center and are just going round the ring road. Cunts.

They're not daft these Torch fellas ;)

Saw it go through Leeds yesterday, it was quite nice seeing all sorts of people line the streets (especially as Headingley is usually populated by rugger bugger students) to see a bit of history. What was less nice was the massive sponsorship 'floats' that preceded the torch, but that's the modern Games for you...

Oh Lord, had one of those shows on as it went through and stopped at Cleethorpes, only went because I was given a free ticket and had nothing else to do. In between the adverts for Olympic sponsors and making out like the town will be served well by London having an Olympics there was 'entertainment' (some dancers from Britains Got Talent and 10 minutes of Tribes who are alright.) Just made me hate the Olympics more tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-flooded-with-brand-police-to-protect-sponsors-7945436.html

Olympics organisers have warned businesses that during London 2012 their advertising should not include a list of banned words, including "gold", "silver" and "bronze", "summer", "sponsors" and "London".

Publicans have been advised that blackboards advertising live TV coverage must not refer to beer brands or brewers without an Olympics deal, while caterers and restaurateurs have been told not to advertise dishes that could be construed as having an association with the event.

At the 40 Olympics venues, 800 retailers have been banned from serving chips to avoid infringing fast-food rights secured by McDonald's.

The true spirit of the Olympics. :lol:

One of the many reasons why the Olympics (and World Cup) is shite for the country having it is that local traders are forced out at a time when they should be reaping the benefits. Incidentally (and I realise there were more stadiums to build) the last World Cup cost South Africa about £3b and they made a fraction of that in return. Fifa made a fucking fortune out of it though. Tax free.

http://www.oxfordmai.../9821083.print/

Primary school kids involved in the opening ceremony told to either wear adidas or wear something unbranded. I know none of this stuff is a surprise, but it leaves such a bad taste about everything to do with the Olympics.

fucking hell

Im hating the olympics more and more as it approaches with stuff like this

I think it was mentioned on here but that young kid (hurdler iirc) who was meant to carry the flame but allegedly failed a last minute security check (despite not having a criminal record) in order to make way for some corporate bloke (some bigwig from Next or something) summed the whole thing up. I like the Olympics as well, especially the athletics but I'm actually glad we're largely out of it in the North East. Nee doubt I'll have something to vent me spleen about after I've been to the footy at SJP though.

It's a horroble capitalist whorefest.

I don't really like any of the sports but think as a spectacle/ocassion its a good premise and thought it was a good thing when London got it. The way the Tory Cunt (Coe) has sold it out though sickens me.

I find the idea of "VIP lanes" and people being told what they can and can't wear and eat to be beyond nausea. Add in the way a poxy little cafe isn't even allowed to use "2012" in any way shape or form and its gone way too far.

I've got to the stage where I hope theres a major fuckup involving the bigwigs - maybes not as far as death but anything short of that.

It's a horroble capitalist whorefest.

I don't really like any of the sports but think as a spectacle/ocassion its a good premise and thought it was a good thing when London got it. The way the Tory Cunt (Coe) has sold it out though sickens me.

I find the idea of "VIP lanes" and people being told what they can and can't wear and eat to be beyond nausea. Add in the way a poxy little cafe isn't even allowed to use "2012" in any way shape or form and its gone way too far.

I've got to the stage where I hope theres a major fuckup involving the bigwigs - maybes not as far as death but anything short of that.

:lol:

Would a coma do?

:lol:

Would a coma do?

Maybe an autoerotic asphyxiation scandal would be prefereble - then again anything that costs the people who've profited the most some money would be ideal.