Luuk De Jong

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

De Jong looks like a player with great potential. Strong, powerful, has a lethal shot on him and, as someone mentioned, his movement is terrific. Would be a nightmare to defend against. The transition to the Premier League might be somewhat difficult for him at first but I'd imagine we'd have the two Dembas in front of him in the interim anyway.

Debuchy would be a good signing based on what I've seen of him and I really think we ought to be looking at bringing in a centre back of some adequacy...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks even more dead in the water if we're looking at getting Carroll back, anyone know what sort of forward de Jong is? Target-man type player? I don't suppose it matter much now.

Looks even more dead in the water if we're looking at getting Carroll back, anyone know what sort of forward de Jong is? Target-man type player? I don't suppose it matter much now.

The de Jong deal dying had more to do with Twente's fee demands than it did any bid for Carroll.

Looked a donkey in his youtube compilations.

They built you a temple and locked you away

But they never told you the price that you pay

For things that you might have done...

Only the good De Jong

"reportedly around" 20 mill euros

No wonder we walked away if we think we can get Carroll for around the same price. De Jong's a huge gamble in comparison.

Yup, that's almost £16m isn't it? Fully support the club not wanting to spend that sort of money on a 21 year old who's had one impressive season in a mediocre league. We'd be blowing most of our transfer budget on one player (I imagine), or replacing an established quality player like Ba with someone who isn't as good.

• 1 year later...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-close-luuk-de-jong-3047239

Toon hope to finally land Dutch striker they offered £10m for in the summer in time for him to make his debut against Norwich next Tuesday

Luuk De Jong is on the verge of joining Newcastle in a deal worth up to £8.5million.

The Magpies are finally in the driving seat to land the Dutch striker after long-term rivals Ajax and PSV Eindhoven were priced out of the running.

The 23-year-old’s club Borussia Monchengladbach will sanction the deal when they bring in cover to replace the former FC Twente star, who has failed to settle in Germany.

The Bundesliga side wanted Toon outcast Papiss Cisse as part of a player-plus-cash deal, but the Senegal international wasn’t interested in the move.

Newcastle now hope to have De Jong signed in time to make his debut at Norwich next Tuesday. The clubs could push through a loan with a view to a permanent deal to beat the clock and ensure the transfer is successfully completed this month.

Monchengladbach want £7m for a player who cost them almost double that in summer 2012.

The rest of the deal will be made up of incentive-based add-ons, but still comes to less than the £10m Newcastle offered Twente for De Jong last summer.

The German club’s sporting director, Max Eberl, said: “Things tend to happen more towards the end of the transfer window, and we’re moving into that now.”

Does anyone know if we've bought a dud?

He hasn't started a game all season and completed just six games in all of last season.

Weren't there rumours of a rift between him and the management?