Official Olympics 2012 Thread

catmag

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way he was with Bert was just sheer class . Genuinely sharing his emotions and in the context of where he 'was at' tonight just takes his greatness to another level for me :)

I know what you're saying with the American optimism, got to be something in it.

His quote on not counting how many medals he has and looking forward to having whatever topping he wants on his sundaes too man !

His bong's gonna take some fuckin hammer too I bet :lol:

Aye his carry on with that kid on the podium and wandering round the pool was quality. Cos he was fucking livid when he missed the touch at the end of that race. Good lad.

And yeah I'd say he'll be getting flidded when he gets home. :lol:

"Match fixin"g in the badminton by the Chinese and South Koreans. Deliberately twatting the 'cock into the net to try and get a more favourable draw in the next round.

They should all be disqualified and let the teams who didn't cheat through.

So that was you I passed !? I'd have stopped for a chat if I'd known .;

2007BIKEFEST070616_0274.jpg

You mentioned meeting some riders at events , you ever met WIGGO mate ? Was watching his interview on bbc last night and his stuff about the podium in France was funny, just speaks how it is which is great compared to modern numb, boring as fuck media drone footballers :)

Edited by LoveTheBobby

So that was you I passed ? If I'd known I'd have stopped for a chat .

http://ucmmuseum.com...070616_0274.jpg

You mentioned meeting some riders at events , you ever met WIGGO mate ?

Was watching his interview on bbc last night and his stuff about the podium in France was funny, just speaks how it is which is great compared to modern numb, boring as fuck media drone footballers :)

Not really met them per say. The big teams have luxary coaches they arrive on and you can get to see the riders getting off. They also warm up at some events outside of these and when they are warming up at others they will just warm up on the road where you can get to get autographs etc.

First time I met Wiggo was the British Nationals he was racing for Garmin Slipstream and he didnt have any team support here. When that happens one of the domestic teams help or the British Cycling Fed have support. He was sound then and I and a few mates chatted with him. Then he was placed 4th that season at the TdF. He then moved to Sky and his first season with Sky he had a lot of pressure on him. We went to Amsterdam to watch the start of the Giro d'Italia and he wasnt approachable at all, we tried speaking but he was a real arse. Chris Froome though chatted with us and was sound.

Saw Wiggo a year after when he won the National title and he was totally different, chatting with the crowd etc. Cavendish hadnt signed for Sky then yet he was getting changed in the Sky bus and when he was signing on thats when we chatted with him and he seemed rather stressed. He went on to win the points jersey that season at the Tour.

I love my cycling and where I am based in North Leeds a lot of Pro's are based around here because of the terrain and easy access to places. I was riding in the Peaks in Feb and was climbing over one of the passes, freezing my tits off and shattered. I heard a moped appraoching behind me and then this bloke came flying passed on a road bike and said "Chin up mate keep going" I thought "ooo you cheery fucker" looked up and it was Mark Cavendish and Rob Hayles on his support moped.

They are a lot more approachable than footballers, I think mostly because they are more grounded due to the wages they earn. Yes, Cav, Wiggins and the top dogs all earn good money, but they have worked fecking hard for it.

Why does the TDF get so much media attention and the GDI and the Spanish one get so little anyway?

The British mdeia are shite thats why.

The TDF has always been the Champions League Final of the cycling and the Giro & Vuelta have been the smaller cups. But for me the Giro is a better race the the Tour.

Not only that but you have the one day races in the spring that dont get any coverage only on Eurosport.

The Star (yes I know) really laid into Cavendish when he "failed" to win gold in the RR. Where were they when he won the World Champs last September? Where were they when he won Green last July? Where were they when he won Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne?

To say we have some fantastic cyclists in this country (male & female) its taken Wiggins to win the Tour to get some positive attention in the press.

Anyways, I wont 'LM' this thread ;)

Back on the Olympics. Its the Time Trail today, if Wiggins wins he will be the most decorated Olympian of all time for GB! Sir Bradley Wiggins anyone?

Nice one Wiki :) . You're obviously well into it and I know how much it gets people hooked . I used to work with a lad that was well into it - watched his diet meticulously, out doing time trials in all weathers and stuff .I'm more the casual potter about the coast on a mountain bike type meself . Me knees sound like a gritty crank mostly so have to limit it . Was bang into bmxing back in the day like . The 'street style' freestylin quarter pipe making suede Vans wearing best years of me life y'all .

When you said moped, I was hoping it was gonna be Wiggo all Quadraphenia'd up .

One thing that I was thinking last night.

We have beach volley ball in the olympics, yes its a sport, but apart from the aesthetic values, for me it shouldnt be in the olympics.

Squash on the other hand, why isnt that in the olympics?