Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur

Christmas Tree

Ben Arfa was at fault for their goal, I agree.

The problem I have with Simpson is that he has consistent past history of not being good enough. I don't want shot of him because of one single incident, but that he isn't good enough all round.

Simpson should have been sent off for his fouls on Bale, without a doubt. After the let off, he spent the rest of the game trying to avoid making a tackle.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perch completed all 48 of his passes. 100%

And just about every one of them were of the "let's get rid of this hot potato". Most of them were backwards or sideways as he's clearly very uncomfortable on the ball.

Perch may be OK in a pinch to fill in in midfield in a purely non constructive way. But he's not a good central defender as he's weak in the air, can't mark a man and he doesn't have any real pace to get him out of trouble. He's too risky to play in a position where he has responsibility. with nobody behind him to get him out of trouble

And just about every one of them were of the "let's get rid of this hot potato". Most of them were backwards or sideways as he's clearly very uncomfortable on the ball.

Perch may be OK in a pinch to fill in in midfield in a purely non constructive way. But he's not a good central defender as he's weak in the air, can't mark a man and he doesn't have any real pace to get him out of trouble. He's too risky to play in a position where he has responsibility. with nobody behind him to get him out of trouble

Absolutely nonsense, almost every word.

Listening to a Spanish commentator shout 'Goooooooaaaaaallllll!!!!!!!!!" for ages after Demba scored was fucking great out here, when he did the same for Defoe I was calling him all the greasy bastards under the sun. In summary, shit first half where we got lucky, improvement in the second but it comes down to sheer talent to get those two goals and luckily we have it.

Congrats lads (and possibly lasses, but doubt it).

Good result for you, thought a draw would have been fairer blah blah blah

Superb finish from Ba, can't argue with that kind of quality.

As for Spurs, I think our toothlessness (word?) upfront was evident, we had decent possession and movement, unfortunately there was no one upfront to make any of it count. No focal point etc blah blah blah

Oh well, still a bit of the window left.

Good luck for the season, see you at the Lane....

Sorry, like, but I disagree with pretty much every word of that.

As for Spurs, I think our toothlessness (word?) upfront was evident, we had decent possession and movement, unfortunately there was no one upfront to make any of it count. No focal point etc blah blah blah

I reckon you'll come good as long as you adequately replace Modric.

You had no real drive from midfield to support Defoe. Defoe worked his bollocks off throughout and deserved a goal, but your only other threats were coming from out wide.

You had no real drive from midfield to support Defoe. Defoe worked his bollocks off throughout and deserved a goal, but your only other threats were coming from out wide.

Easier said than done though.

I know a lot of the rest of the league think Modric is overrated, but he really is (was) the catalyst for pretty much every thing Spurs do/did. He doesn't score but boy can he spot a brilliant pass.

No use lamenting, the geezer's gone.

I agree, Defoe ran his socks off, and I'm not knocking him at all, it's just this system isn't set up for him, he's not a the target man type.

Cheers Dave. I thought you were the better side fwiw, just as you say lacked a bit of a focal point for your attacks. We probably shaded the second half but you were clearly better in the first.

Make sure you come back and give us your thoughts on AVB once he has had a few games, be interested to hear how he is getting along.

Badly need a foward or two tbh, that Kane is supposed to be quite highly rated but isn't it basically him and Defoe at the moment? Would scare the bejesus out of me if our forward line was like that with a couple of weeks left of the window.

Cheers Dave. I thought you were the better side fwiw, just as you say lacked a bit of a focal point for your attacks. We probably shaded the second half but you were clearly better in the first.

Make sure you come back and give us your thoughts on AVB once he has had a few games, be interested to hear how he is getting along.

I will, in fact I intend on annoying you all season.

Badly need a foward or two tbh, that Kane is supposed to be quite highly rated but isn't it basically him and Defoe at the moment? Would scare the bejesus out of me if our forward line was like that with a couple of weeks left of the window.

Well now you're just rubbing it in.

Well now you're just rubbing it in.

I thought you were the better side in the first half and we were fortunate to not be behind. I thought our strength told in the second half we were very well organised, as you were to be fair, and definitely edged the second, I've seen us deserve a draw and lose loads of times though so my sympathy is pretty thin on the ground. Your fans are absolute wanks as well, your support makes Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham seem decent. It irritates the life out of me that your support believe you're a big club, you're not, you've come top 4 once in 20 years, and when they scored they're hanging over the top giving it the biggie, fucking loved it when we got the winner. However, you seem a canny bloke though to be fair.

Oh there's one or two of us. Mainly here to make the place look pretty but with the added bonus of knowing the offside rule ;)

Defoe will always be a worry to whoever you play, and agree with Chez that you were better in the first half but you have to be able to finish and that was the difference yesterday.

Always good to have decent opposition fans here though so stick around.

I thought you were the better side in the first half and we were fortunate to not be behind. I thought our strength told in the second half we were very well organised, as you were to be fair, and definitely edged the second, I've seen us deserve a draw and lose loads of times though so my sympathy is pretty thin on the ground. Your fans are absolute wanks as well, your support makes Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham seem decent. It irritates the life out of me that your support believe you're a big club, you're not, you've come top 4 once in 20 years, and when they scored they're hanging over the top giving it the biggie, fucking loved it when we got the winner. However, you seem a canny bloke though to be fair.

Love you too xxx

Edited by Tottenham Dave

First game of the season is a difficult one anyway, teams are all getting their stuff together etc

Look at last year, Spurs got done 0-3 and 1-5 in the first two games and went on to have a decent season.

Arsenal got done 2-8 at United and finished third!

Early days.

Will AVB be given the time he needs or will doubts creep in if the results don't come?

Will Rodgers perform the same magic with Liverpool and convert mediocre championship players into a fluent, high quality passing side?

Will Wenger yet again confound expectations and deliver another CL qualification?

Will Pardew start on a 4th official for getting time added on incorrect?

Early days as you say Dave.