Bands you didn't like at the time but now sort of appreciate

jonasjuice

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to think I was Kurt Cobain in the 90s,had the shoulder length hair and everything! Had every album going, including all the rare Japanese bootlegs and shit :lol:

Haven't listened to any of them in years now, much prefer pearl Jam, which 13year old me would have been disgusted at!

Everything???

Really?

:lol:

You dirty scaghead.

Guest CabayeAye

If Cobain had never martyred himself, Nirvana would never have reached legendary status. People like them because it is cool to do so. Their music is actually fairly average, notwithstanding a couple of exceptions.

If Cobain had never martyred himself, Nirvana would never have reached legendary status. People like them because it is cool to do so. Their music is actually fairly average, notwithstanding a couple of exceptions.

Agree. They spawned a new genre, but it was a particularly shit genre. English Indie bands pissed all over their US cousins in the 90s.

Each to their own. I was in to them before he topped himself. Like I say most people only know Nevermind which was more mainstream / moneymaker. Their albums that flanked that are much better.

Guest CabayeAye

If they were still going, we might have been spared the later Foo Fighters albums though.

Granted their newer stuff is a bit hit and miss, but you have to admit the Color and the Shape is immense.

Agree. They spawned a new genre, but it was a particularly shit genre. English Indie bands pissed all over their US cousins in the 90s.

Sorry renton but FFS people don't talk some shite on here.

The didn't spawn a new genre, grunge had been around for years but the success of Nevermind (down to Butch Vig because if you've ever heard the demos it was just a repeat of Bleach) and the way it was promoted by Geffen was a first.

Nevermind was really the end of indie/alternative music because now Sony, Polydor and the other majors had to have their version or Nirvana - even to the point where Sony built Pearl Jam out of a couple of bands from one of their minor labels.

As for the English indie pissing all over their US cousins, as close as they were they were two different sounds.

Just go listen to the Sub Pop releases of the time and the same period's Creation bands there was both brilliant and shite and the unfortunate thing is a lot of the better bands of that time were lost because of the rush to sign anyone that fit the "genre" and then the race to release them as the labels concentrated on those that were charting.

btw I saw Nirvana in '91 about a month after Nevermind had been released and I was sceptical as fuck but I have to say they were up there with the best bands I've seen. No rubbish they just played and were tight.

Around the same time I saw the other big US indie bands in RHCP and Soundgarden and they couldn't shine a light to them.

I've listened to all of Nirvana's stuff. If we do it by songs:

Good songs by Nirvana:

Smells like Teen Spirit

Come as you are

Lithium

Brilliant songs by Foo Fighters:

Monkey Wrench

Breakout

All my Life

Everlong

The Pretender

Sounds like you've only heard the singles/videos and came to a conclusion based on that.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Guest CabayeAye

Sounds like you've only heard the singles/videos and came to a conclusion based on that.

I'm old enough to remember Nirvana when they were big, and old enough to remember when the Foo Fighters first broke through.

Both bands have some good songs and both have some average songs, but I don't like grunge. I much prefer the sound of the Foos.

Incidentally, I've just been sitting playing Teen Spirit and Come as you are just now! :lol:

The didn't spawn a new genre, grunge had been around for years but the success of Nevermind (down to Butch Vig because if you've ever heard the demos it was just a repeat of Bleach) and the way it was promoted by Geffen was a first.

Nevermind was really the end of indie/alternative music because now Sony, Polydor and the other majors had to have their version or Nirvana - even to the point where Sony built Pearl Jam out of a couple of bands from one of their minor labels.

As for the English indie pissing all over their US cousins, as close as they were they were two different sounds.

Just go listen to the Sub Pop releases of the time and the same period's Creation bands there was both brilliant and shite and the unfortunate thing is a lot of the better bands of that time were lost because of the rush to sign anyone that fit the "genre" and then the race to release them as the labels concentrated on those that were charting.

btw I saw Nirvana in '91 about a month after Nevermind had been released and I was sceptical as fuck but I have to say they were up there with the best bands I've seen. No rubbish they just played and were tight.

Around the same time I saw the other big US indie bands in RHCP and Soundgarden and they couldn't shine a light to them.

good post agree completely.

What Subpop stuff are you into?

It's also worth noting that Blur spent the second half of the 90s aping American indie rock (Song 2 anyone?). Half of Blur's self titled album could fit easily on one of the later Pavement albums...

Nice to see you back again mate and fair comment. Think ozzies know fuck all mind. ;)

We can't swim, run or cycle for shit as well. Oh well, as stevie often says we can just rely on being scousers in the sun!

What Subpop stuff are you into?

A lot of it was brilliant; Tad, Mudhoney, Soundgarden when they were borderline metal, babes in toyland, Dinosaur Jr and Dwarves were all setting new ground for Sub Pop before Nirvana released Bleach. But as I said grunge had been churning in the musical background since the mid-80s.

Big Black, Sonic Youth, Green River (featuring members of Mudhoney), Butthole Surfers, The Melvins, even the Pixies and here in Sydney bands like King Snake Roost, Lubricated Goat (often cited by Mark Arm from Mudhoney as the first grunge band), Box The Jesuit and others, were recording and releasing stuff that was grunge before grunge.

I love the fact that Sub Pop's two most successful commercial releases are Nirvana's Bleach and Flight Of The Concords Flight Of The Concords, how different can those two be.

Anyone wanting to hear where things were before Geffen turned it all upside down should have a listen to:

Mudhoney: Super Fuzz Big Muff

Big Black: More Songs About Fucking

TAD: Salt Lick EP

Lubricated Goat: Paddock Of Love (And if you can find it Crunt's self titled release, the band Stu Spasm the singer formed with his then-wife Kat of Babes In Toyland and Russell Simins from The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.)

And anything pre-1988 by Sonic Youth, the Melvins and The Pixies.

It's also worth noting that Blur spent the second half of the 90s aping American indie rock (Song 2 anyone?). Half of Blur's self titled album could fit easily on one of the later Pavement albums...

Funny you should mention that because in 1992 I timed a trip to London so I could go to the Brixton Academy to see the Jesus And Mary Chain's Rollercoaster tour.

And what was the line up?

1st support - Blur

2nd support - Dinosaur Jr

3rd support - My Bloody Valentine

JMC head line.

So Blur skirted the edges of American Indie for a while.

For me the greatest injustice of that period was the ignoring Swervedriver, an English indie (Creation) band that fused "Shoegazer" English indie sounds and grunge. And of course it was Creation and then Geffen that fucked them by signing them and never promoting their releases - actually it's a lot more complicated and worthy of a documentary on it all.

Again if it interests you have a listen to Swervedriver's Raise and Mezcal Head releases.

One last word about Nirvana:

1984 featuring Newcastle's own Kevin "Geordie" Walker.

1992 featuring Aberdeen's own Kurt Cobain.

Edited by sammynb

We can't swim, run or cycle for shit as well. Oh well, as stevie often says we can just rely on being scousers in the sun!

A lot of it was brilliant; Tad, Mudhoney, Soundgarden when they were borderline metal, babes in toyland, Dinosaur Jr and Dwarves were all setting new ground for Sub Pop before Nirvana released Bleach. But as I said grunge had been churning in the musical background since the mid-80s.

Big Black, Sonic Youth, Green River (featuring members of Mudhoney), Butthole Surfers, The Melvins, even the Pixies and here in Sydney bands like King Snake Roost, Lubricated Goat (often cited by Mark Arm from Mudhoney as the first grunge band), Box The Jesuit and others, were recording and releasing stuff that was grunge before grunge.

I think you have a good taste in music. Did you go to Dinosaur Jr in town in 2010? You ever listened to The Gun Club?

Edit: Just re read... you live in Sidney, never mind first question!

Edited by ADP

You ever listened to The Gun Club?

Sorry ADP I never really got into the Gun Club (I might have to revisit them though), the Cramps had a bigger influence here.

On Sub Pop talent, have you heard/bought Marl Lanegan's (former front man of the Screaming Trees) latest album Blues Funeral?

Cracking album and worth the effort.

:lol: hesitantly went to a cheesy 90's bar recently and have to confess they, along with Whigfield and whoever the hell sings the Macarena contributed to a surprisingly great night. Not to mention...

You are fucking joking right?

Lolly???

Toni Basil released Mickey, not some shite fucking tv star cover!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49ELXpzyHE

Actually scratch that, the original song is from 1979 by Racey and it was called Kitty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXVcyVEO6A

Edited by sammynb

I've listened to all of Nirvana's stuff. If we do it by songs:

Good songs by Nirvana:

Smells like Teen Spirit

Come as you are

Lithium

Brilliant songs by Foo Fighters:

Monkey Wrench

Breakout

All my Life

Everlong

The Pretender

Nirvana:

About a girl - Bleach

Every song pretty much on Nevermind

Heart Shaped Box - In Utero

Rape Me - In Utero

Dumb - In Utero

Pennyroyal Tea - In Utero

All Apologies - In Utero

You Know You're Right - Unreleased

Old Age - Unreleased

Sappy - Unreleased

All the above songs are better than anything Foo Fighters have produced. You quite clearly know absolutely nothing about music.

I don't mind Foo's btw, it's just they don't even come close to most things Nirvana did.