Another Shooting in America

The Fish

hiding the kids was clearly the correct thing to do, and that teacher is right to be commended for it. I think America is fucked up too but using any angle of this story (especially one plas praiseworthy as this) as a stick to beat them with isn't on IMO.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since when has abortion improved lives, (except in maybe rape/severe disability of the child cases)

For a moment I was considering taking your posts seriously. Thanks for the timely confirmation otherwise. :good:

Not if you made it illegal for a teacher to own firearms you wouldnt. This is the worst school shooting in US history. Does that statement not make you think that whatever could be done to prevent another, should be done? It happens regularly every year in the US, that alone makes it worthwhile; at the very least children should feel safe in their school, thats a basic human right for them and their parents, and if youre suggesting the right to bear arms is a greater one then words aren't enough to sum you up really .

Its one thing to say that it's impossible to carry out, but you seem to think that because its difficult nothing should be done. And you're entitled to your view on abortion, but you're in a minority on that in this country, to say the least. We haven't had Gynaenocologists legally carrying out their work being shot dead regularly in this country either...wonder why?...

I'm not.

I'm not saying nothing should be done, but I do think it's impossible. The will just is not there in the electorate even after something like this, on all the NFL boards I frequent there's plenty of "condolence" threads/posts but not one mention of the "g" word. Guns are so embedded in society and always have been, the psyche of Mr/Mrs average American is that they have guns and wouldn't dream of shooting anyone, and that they and their guns are not the problem.

Gradually.

First step would be to stop selling them in Walmart or giving a free gun to people opening bank accounts.

Anyone buying a gun in Wallmart gets checked (and in most gun stores) it's the private sales and gun shows where stuff gets under the radar. But the majority of these "sprees" are undertaken with legal guns from "upstanding" checked out owners.

All they can do is manage down the problem and they are doing that given the gun crime figures.

It's not like the enactment of the gun controls here post Hungerford/Dunblane where gun ownership even then was a very minority thing, it's easy via legislation to subjugate and police a minority but how easy is it if you are doing something the majority doesn't want.

Even with our zero tolerance to guns we still have occassional shooting sprees here, there was one just off the end of my street years ago.

And you're entitled to your view on abortion, but you're in a minority on that in this country, to say the least.

Funny isn't it, you can get jailed/villified for calling someone a nasty name, yet the everyday clinical killing of a baby, for cosmetic reasons by and large (as in "I don't want it/ it was a mistake") is just "run of the mill" acceptable.

It's not a case of taking these steps in the naive belief gun crime will be eradicated completely. The point would be to shift from a gun loving country to one less so. And keep taking steps as and when it's politically possible. If only licensed gun stores could sell them....and were restricted to ONLY selling guns and ammo, then perhaps it would become more stigmatised. As it shuld be. Being able to pick up a gun with the milk is the sort of thing that will keep Americans in the mindset you're talking about.

It's not a case of taking these steps in the naive belief gun crime will be eradicated completely. The point would be to shift from a gun loving country to one less so. And keep taking steps as and when it's politically possible. If only licensed gun stores could sell them....and were restricted to ONLY selling guns and ammo, then perhaps it would become more stigmatised. As it shuld be. Being able to pick up a gun with the milk is the sort of thing that will keep Americans in the mindset you're talking about.

I'm sorry but who elected you the dictator of what's accepteble for americans? :lol:

Funny isn't it, you can get jailed/villified for calling someone a nasty name, yet the everyday clinical killing of a baby, for cosmetic reasons by and large (as in "I don't want it/ it was a mistake") is just "run of the mill" acceptable.

No it's not.

Destroying a foetus is though.

They should only be able to sell certain guns as well, some of the guns they sell (like the ones yesterday) are fucking ridiculous.

They should only be able to sell certain guns as well, some of the guns they sell (like the ones yesterday) are fucking ridiculous.

South London has spoken! ;)

Edited by Park Life

Am not getting into this argument with anyone on here old son. You're entitled to your opinion. I only brought it up as an example of how legislation can fundamentally change peoples lives.

Nee-one.

We are supposed to discuss opinions on this discussion forum though, aye? :P

Your arse has been bought and sold so many times I wouldn't trust you to pick the toon first 11. ;)

There is a good reason the founders included gun ownership. 2nd ammendment.

Why are you on the WUM in this thread Parky?

There are tragedies all over the place and some of them come with the fact that with freedoms there comes responsabilities. Shall we ban cars cause they kill more people than guns ever will? Shall we ban alcohol cause it brings misery to millions? Shall we ban science cause it invented war machines and the atom bomb?

Edited by Park Life

Your arse has been bought and sold so many times I wouldn't trust you to pick the toon first 11. ;)

There is a good reason the founders included gun ownership. 2nd ammendment.

Gun sales are through the roof following this murder of 20 children. Impressed you can take the moral high ground in defense of those profits.

There are tragedies all over the place and some of them come with the fact that with freedoms there comes responsabilities. Shall we ban cars cause they kill more people than guns ever will? Shall we ban alcohol cause it brings misery to millions? Shall we ban science cause it invented war machines and the atom bomb?

Yes that makes complete sense.

What do guns do other than kill? Can you get somewhere with one, will they cure disease?

Christ.

Gun sales are through the roof following this murder of 20 children. Impressed you can take the moral high ground in defense of those profits.

Nice bait and switch. ;)

We are in the EU - nobody wanted it. We went to war in Iraq - millions didn't want it...We bailed out the banks - nobody was asked.

Not sure we can start lecturing the americans about rights and democracy. ;)

There are tragedies all over the place and some of them come with the fact that with freedoms their comes responsabilities. Shall we ban cars cause they kill more people than guns ever will? Shall we ban alcohol cause it brings misery to millions? Shall we ban science cause it invented war machines and the atom bomb?

All of those things bring massive benefits and social advancement, the deaths they cause on the side are a price worth paying. Without cars we'd be on horses and the disease that would bring with shit all over the streets would be high too.

Guns have no such benefits.

Yes that makes complete sense.

What do guns do other than kill? Can you get somewhere with one, will they cure disease?

Christ.

It's law in America. Gun ownership is a right. The vast majority want it.

All of those things bring massive benefits and social advancement, the deaths they cause on the side are a price worth paying. Without cars we'd be on horses and the disease that would bring with shit all over the streets would be high too.

Guns have no such benefits.

Err democracy was built on guns. ;) Or do you speak German?